Home General Discussion

Enemy Territory Quake Wars - beta

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Motz, if you think it's BF in a different package, then you certainly didn't play it for long enough ... especially on public servers where everyone just got the beta and are running around like headless chickens cos they don't know how to do objectives properly... smile.gif

When people realise what they're meant to be doing (ie. defending/attacking the objective, supporting their team etc.), it's way more focused and frantic than Battlefield, and the fact that the teams are so asymmetric is much more interesting. All of the BF stuff is just the same vehicle and weapon with a different model/effect setup, pretty much. ET:QW has totally different loadouts and special abilities per team, which I'm certain you won't have had time to pick up in your 15 minutes of play.

Obviously it's not a game you can just hop into and expect to win immediately, you need to spend a bit of time learning the ropes before you can expect to get the full feel of it.

Just sayin' wink.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I hope the server list gets sorted out, I've spent the last several minutes trying to join a game, but it keeps saying the servers are full when I try to connect, even when it says there are 17/24 people in the server. I then filtered out full servers but I'm getting the same thing. Frustrating cos I wanna play frown.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, it's a known issue, has been fixed and will be rolled out in the next patch. It's very annoying, something to do with servers from the same IP getting ports mixed up, I think. Also doesn't help that our 100+ uk servers are full nearly all of the time...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There were people mentioning a frames-per-second tweak on the server last night, but I couldn't get them to say exactly what they were talking about. Any ideas?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    ATI patch came out a couple of hours ago, it seems to have fixed my problem tongue.gif
    Really solid game, megatexture stuff is rad. I can't help but think the landscape textures r ugly with this noisey heightmap thrown over the top of absolutely everything despite what the texture may actually be. The normalmaps outside also don't tend to come through too well due to the amount of ambient light going on. Interior sections almost look like a different game due to all the lighting.

I really don't understand what all these retards are going on about the characters and weapons not being as detailed as in trailers.. Shoulda gone specsavers.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade: You can open the console with CTRL + ALT + ` (regular console button, next to 1 and below ESC unless you have a wacky keyboard).
    Then type "com_showfps 1" - this will show your average FPS in the top right.
    One of our programmers (a very tall Australian!) wrote this information about the "unlock fps" tweaks:
    http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razor can you link to where the patch is please? I can't find it.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    “But yeah, it's just BF in a diff package” oh come on, that was a big compliment :P ha, just kidding. Congrats on the demo and upcoming game. I remember when I was in Sweden we were working hard and QW was on our minds because your release date at the time was the same as ours. Neat to see how QW has progressed since then. Good stuff.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Having a lot of fun! My experience with these multiplayer games is getting teamwork or any coordination going is next to impossible though.

Being a n00b to these online shooters whats the normal protocol for getting "friends" and setting up an organized non-sucky game?

Art/Graphics are pretty great for the most part.
    I wish for some lightmaps added into the mix though, honestly. I know thats not ID tech's style anymore but it would help a lot.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i had a hard time getting teamwork going. When I played bf2 all the time it was a large group of guys i worked with and went to school with so we had huge squads. Usually 2 full ones with every type of unit. Some guys were good at flying, some good at sniping. It was fun.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupus, I meant new ATI Drivers :P
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, cheers.

Best thing for these types of games ia getting a bunch of folk on skype together and then coordinating/slagging the shit out of each other as you play.

A few of us from Black Mesa did this with the BF2 demo when it came out, we were USMC and we had all the ACPs and the tank on the map, we lined up on the end of the MEC runway and moved along it pummeling everything with our wall of steel. It was very funny smile.gif
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Best thing for these types of games ia getting a bunch of folk on skype together and then coordinating/slagging the shit out of each other as you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer Ventrilo over skype for gaming. Skype sometimes sucks bandwidth for weird things, not to mention ventrilo allows for other neat features, and is still very clear.

I'm glad to see this game is turning out cool!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i host a ventrillo server on my desktop when bf2 games are played.

I miss flying the helo in loops and doing barrel rolls and flying through tunnels. Ahhh good times.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry about the bumping of the old thread, but Splash Damage recently released Public Beta 2 through FilePlanet, anyone with an existing beta key can play.
    It features a different map, Valley, contains a bunch of bugfixes, performance improvements and general polish.

The people on our community site really like it, today one of the guys there posted some of his screenshots grabbed from the Public Beta, check them out here:

http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showpost.php?p=105866&postcount=27

Looks rather fancy even if I say so myself...
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloaded it as soon as I saw Todd say it ;p
    Been playing a couple of days now, definately an improvement over the last build.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Beta 2 is definitely better. GDF sniping is actually fun now and plus omg people are using that flying vehicle no one bothered to use in beta 1
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Anybody know where I can get a key? I don't feel like becoming a paid subscriber to fileplanet.

I'm getting tired of BF2142 and need something new.