Home General Discussion

Is my XBox 360 broken?

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
Hey, I recently got my XBox 360 (bout damn time...I know) and I have a few questions:

What were the major problems the XBox had at launch that caused them to increase their warranty length? I've read about the overheating and whatnot, were there any other problems?

My XBox seems to be having "can't read the disc" problems over and over. It happened with 1 game fresh out of the box a couple times, a used game I bought freezes all the damn time, and a shiny new Seinfeld DVD froze once as well.

I can understand the used game...it was pretty scratched and I'm gonna see if I can get it exchanged just to be sure...but my new shit shouldn't be having trouble reading this much should it?

Thanks XBox gods!

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    in no way is that a standard message to bring up when the game crashes. No way.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816779

Otherwise, I think it may be time to contact MS.
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It happens quite often I think - I get "dirty disk errors" all the time. I also had to get my 360 replaced as it kept scratching my discs up (luckily the HMV where I got the 360 from were happy to replace the disks as well) - after it was replaced I've had no problems at all, and no disk errors - so maybe just get it replaced?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'll get "can't read disc" errors once in a great while, and usually only on scratched games I rent from Gamefly.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I get that quite often... sometimes straight out of the box, though it's usually after my xbox burns mysterious rings into the disc. This is my second or third xbox. It sucks.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    My first two ate up the first disc's I put into them. Scratched a nice circular hole right in them. The place I purchased it from was kind enough to give me a new xbox and a new game, both times. Sadly, however, my 360 just bricked itself...somehow. Freezes on boot. Hasn't moved in a year, never been mistreated. Gonna find out tomorrow if it's still under warranty. If not, I'll be pretty pissed :/

I'd get yours replaced. You wouldn't expect a brand new DVD player to not play DVD's correctly, out of box. As long as it's an error you can duplicate to whatever store you purchased it from, you should be able to get a new one.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    ahhh the good ole dirty disk or can't read disk error.

This has happened to me a few times. The worst time I think was when I was literally 2 minutes from getting the 5 day survivor achievement in Dead Rising and I went back inside the malll and "DISK READ ERROR"

But if you have other issues Don I would just contact MS or wherever you bought the 360 from and see what you can do.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've only ever gotten the 'dirty disk' error when I played Dreamfall (Xbox 1 title) on my system.

Other than that, I've never had any of those errors before, and I got my first 360 shortly after launch. Upgraded to an Elite now and still no problems.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Only time I ever got dirty disk is when my first 360 broke.

Was under warranty, though, so they sent me a box with faulty cooling to replace it, overheated all the time.

3rd box is perfect, though.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think we've ever had any issues with the the 360 at our place. closest was when i thought the controller was broke, but it turned out the ddr pad was still plugged in and folded up in a corner, causing buttons to constantly push
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i spent half an hour last night trying to free the disc tray that got stuck in the closed position. First time i've ever had to take a screwdriver to a games console ... stupid bloody thing.