polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I hate it when companies give out beta keys like this.

I'd really like to play this game, but I don't have the time to sit around my computer waiting for it to tell me a time to come back and wait for. This guarantees you will have a lot of middle schoolers and high schoolers that are on summer break with nothing better to do.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There are 60,000 keys available for this public beta in total. Some are reserved for paying FilePlanet members, the rest will be free to any FP account (ie. you could sign up with a Hotmail address if you don't already have one).
    Not sure how many have gone so far, they were made available to FilePlanet subscribers on Wednesday, and I believe that the freely available keys (of which there are at least 30,000) will start being released in batches beginning on Friday.

I usually hop on one of the UK servers most nights, so if anyone wants a game and has the beta, add "MoP" to your friends list in the server browser.

Cheers! smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I hope its worth the $5 i spend on subscribing for the file trash laugh.gif
    Sonic whats the problem, they give the keys out 8pm :P
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Send me one, or I'll tell Tully what really happened that night "your car broke down"
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Send mine too or I will tell Rick to tell Tully what really happened that night "your car broke down"
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    I knew it! O_o
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have a car frown.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Send mine as well or I will tell bearkub to tell Rick to tell Tully what really happened that night "your car broke down"

Sorry couldn't resist
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    welp, guess I need to upgrade to play. I have an XPS laptop:

2GB RAM, GeForce 7900 512MB, Core Duo 2.4GHZ.

Anyone know what I should upgrade first?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Your laptop's specs sound fine for running the beta.
    I was playing on a 2GB RAM, GeForce 7900GS 256MB, Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+, and it runs smoothly on "Medium" graphics settings.
    Even managed to get it going (on "Low" graphics mind you) on a P4 3ghz with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Are you asking because the signup page has told you your hardware is insufficient? I've heard reports that people using Opera or browsers other than IE or Firefox are having trouble getting past that page.
    Also you could try lying about your specs, since I'm 99% sure that the specs you listed there will run the Beta.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i thought all the optimizations were supposed to make it run on all those pentium 3's the koreans are using.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    yeah im on a linux box (Mozilla browser) so maybe I should try again from home. Guess i'll need to create another account. It only lets you choose your specs once frown.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, cool news!
    that game have some tough graphics-
    thanks Tully, Mop, Peppi, Sa7an etc.
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Also you could try lying about your specs, since I'm 99% sure that the specs you listed there will run the Beta.

[/ QUOTE ]lying about your specs will only work if you haven't entered your real specs before, if you did it will keep saying it's insufficient to play the game. this can be easily fixed by deleting your cookies and entereing the highest specs possible though.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Huh. I've got a less impressive system, and it told me, using FireFox that my system was not qualified.

1gb RAM, Athlon 64 3200+m, Geforce 6800 GT 256mb

Too slow? Probably...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Fileplanet account (but not a subscriber), though I enter in all my shit and then get to a screen asking me to subscribe before I can sign up for a key and can't go any further than that.
    Oh well, I'll just wait for the actual game.

-caseyjones

Edit: I should have gone to the first link on the first post instead of just charging straight to FilePlanet. Only up to day 2 of key distro. My day may yet come :P
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do we need the key to dl the actual game data?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I've got my key.

Its only about 5 bucks US for a subscription. If you don't want to have to fight the unwashed masses for a key on Saturday, it might be worth the cash.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I might just subscribe for what its worth, might see you guys in there too smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Tanks and mechs are impossible to control, they just wont drive/walk straight and get stuck in stuff. Its really annoying and i cant figure out if like the mechs legs turn independantly from the upper part or not cause after i try to strafe it starts to walk in random directions when i want to go forward.
    And graphics look bit dated but it runs really well so thats cool, even tho it pisses me off kinda cause the old screens were so much better and i hate lie based hyping.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would subscribe, but the little disclaimer at the bottom that says subscribing doesn't guarantee you a key has really put me off. Besides, I don't have a credit card anyway :P

-caseyjones
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I reapplied with IE and got in. Played for last 1-2 hours. Pretty decent. I like the graphics although I wish the enviro were a little bit higher poly. My performance was great, my playing was not. Even though multiplayer games of this nature normally dont interest me this one was very entertaining. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tanks and mechs are impossible to control, they just wont drive/walk straight and get stuck in stuff. Its really annoying and i cant figure out if like the mechs legs turn independantly from the upper part or not cause after i try to strafe it starts to walk in random directions when i want to go forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is something that a lot of people have mentioned in the beta feedback forums, it's actually been fixed already (and better anti-lag netcode is being worked on too) so everything should be smoother and easier to control when it gets patched up to the latest version (not sure when that will happen unfortunately).
    But that's why it's a beta! smile.gif

Also IMHO Sewer (the beta map) is one of the less visually interesting maps (although it is super fun to play once you're used to the speed and teamwork), we have a ton of much cooler looking maps which we didn't want to spoil the surprise with wink.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    impossible to get the key . mad.gif

Maybe some polycounter can send me P.M. with key cool.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm waiting for the next announcement. It currently only says Friday... Just doesn't say what time! It's an hour until Saturday here.

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be very early Saturday morning. 4am-ish I believe. There were still keys available at lunch time today so you shouldn't need to get up early or sign up on your way home from the pub.

Im rather liking the game now that I'm starting to get the hang of it. It feels pretty unrefined and chaotic but its good fun and runs pretty smooth for the most part.

MoP, Tully, a special request. Go up to your weapons coder and jab him with your pen until he makes the grenade throwing better. He could copy the timing, power and trajectory straight out of the original Enemy Territory and it'd be great. Get the grenades right and you've got one sure fire sale here, even if nothing else works. Its a Prussian thing.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like subscriber only today. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I believe the free keys for non-subscribers to FilePlanet will start going out tomorrow.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    the game is acutally pretty fun, but i got bored playing the same map (after a few hours mind you wink.gif)

and i LOVE the icarus jet pack!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, another 10,000 FilePlanet free public beta keys went live tonight, looks like there's a fair bit of interest in it, since our community site and forums got hit so hard the server went down smile.gif

Fileplanet is also going a bit slowly right now because of all the people trying to sign up...

If you fancy your chances, check out the news story here:
    http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/64
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's going to be crazy to get a key ... ,
    finaly I think I will wait for a version def. when will be out.

offre_speciale_rayon_pcsortie_haut-1.jpg

Here in France the date out is 15.July 07 ,
    but I doubt it, cause the "beta". smirk.gif

What You think ?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a key...gunna play now. Will tell ya how I like it.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Waiting to download, looking forward to it smile.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. I think I will enjoy it more when I know more about exactly how the game works. Right now I'm just going around shooting people.

My only real big crit is that the weapon model/textures would have been better, but they are solid none the less.

If anyone wants to play just add Striff to their buddy list. I'm usually playing in west coast servers.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Key aquired... I play as caseyjones, so feel free to add me to your friends thingy.
    I'll probably play in Australian servers mainly but will hop in some US or UK servers if I had a polycounter to play with or against.

-caseyjones
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a quick go, I think it's going to take a bit of time to get completely used to the game.

I found this guide here http://www.fpsadmin.com/download/details.php?file=113 that gives more info on classes etc, worth a quick read as the game is not as simple as BF2.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    One of our community members wrote (and is currently adding to/revising) a quick guide for people who want a headstart:
    http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/

Don't be afraid of reading it just because it says "4newbies", there's actually a lot of good stuff in there smile.gif

Lupus: Aye, it does take a while to get used to the pace of it all, and figure out what class you enjoy and perform best as, but once you get used to it and play on a server full of others who are good at their classes, even a disorganised public game can be a lot of fun smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting qutie comfortable with the Strogg Oppressor (and used the GDF field ops once). I'm quite fond of them. Building a big cannon and calling in bombardments is fun hehe.

I also checked my persistent stats, the violator beacon I threw about 4 times and hit many more, had a ratio of about 7200 lol.

PS. Dark Matter cannon ftw
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, it's nice when you settle into a preferred class and start figuring out the sneaky tactics and tricks to get the best of it.
    I usually play Covert Ops/Infiltrator. What's your username, Lupus? Mind if I add you as a friend in the game?

Also, here's a pretty good and fairly high-quality gameplay video from a guy on the community site (needs DivX Web player installed):
    http://stage6.divx.com/user/Sureshotte/video/1341004/ET:QW-Beta---Assault-Running-(full-match)
    Strogg team don't do a great job of defending during that game though...

Enjoy! smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, my name is (suprisingly) Lupus hehe.

I can only play late at night though as I get bad pings (for everything) when I try to play during the day/evening. I'm not sure if switching to a different provider would help.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Wow that was fun. I liked that a lot. Thanks Mop, Tully and the rest of the guys at Splash Damage.

That was really fun.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, that looks like alot of fun, I can really see the megatexture at work in that video and it looks great with all the unique cracks and details, It would be interesting to see it at a higher resolution on a smaller map, but I guess that would be more what you'd expect to see in a singleplayer game, not a large multiplayer battlefeild.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Not a fab start so far, tried to connect to a server and it just crashed the comp.

EDIT: Ok, that's the 5th time now, it's not the comp that's crashing but the game itself, unfortunately it crashes in such a way that I can't get back to my desktop :/
    I've noticed this thing logs crashes and the words ati appear a lot... Fucking woop >:/

ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 692C441F)
    692C441F (atioglxx): (filename not available): atiPPHSN

I'd like to play this game sometime :/

Username is "RazorBladder" if any y'all wanna add.

Hmmm, a Polycount quake wars beta server Kub? wink.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Useful things to remember when playing the Strogg Field Ops. The Air strike beacon is not the Dark matter cannon targeter. Getting them confused results in many, many team kills.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    RazorBladder: Yeah, unfortunately there are some issues with ATI cards at the moment. We're working on it.
    In the meantime, I heard that ATI's "VPU Recover" settings can make your game crash in an unrecoverable way (how ironic) - someone on the Community Forums said that turning the VPU Recover option off meant that they could get back to the desktop instead of having to hard reboot.
    I haven't tried it myself, so do that at your own risk.

Haha Jackablade smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Razor: if I had a key and the rig to run it, I would in a heartbeat.

so, get me some cash and a key and we are all set. ;]
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've had that crash before, and it also doesn't alt tab out. To access other programs I ctrl+alt+delete to bring up task manager (which appears on my second monitor) and then I can access stuff. I'm using an AT 1950XT, so that might be it.

Also had a really weird problem where I was driving a vehicle during warmup, then when it switched to the actual game, the game seemed to think I was still pressing keys from before. Without touching the keyboard my character would be crouched and moving forward, to run I had to hold spacebar, to stand still I had to hold backwards. Dying didn't fix it either (also didn't want to recognise spacebar to spawn in the next wave).

Odd, but has only happened to me once.

PS. Something I'd really like to see is a concentrated effort by a few (3 or 4) oppressors/field ops all calling in artillery at pretty much the same time (with the first of their turrets) and watching the bombardment tear up a large area smile.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Well, it's the same shit wrapped in a better package. The mech control (that everyone is bitching about) is incredibly easy, you just need some kind of 'legs are pointing in this direction' graphical hud overlay. I use the minimap for that.

But yeah, it's just BF in a diff package. Looks phenominal, but I stopped playing in about 15 mins. Games where skilled pilots have to wait for idiots to crash and respawn the vehicles annoys me. Use tribes buy system -_-
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    But yeah, it's just BF in a diff package. Looks phenominal, but I stopped playing in about 15 mins. Games where skilled pilots have to wait for idiots to crash and respawn the vehicles annoys me. Use tribes buy system -_-

[/ QUOTE ]
    Here's an idea. : ) Don't wait and do something else.