Home General Discussion

manhunt 2 banned

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/797/797657p1.html
just caught this on the news.
Could be the slippery slope to general games censorship.

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I was reading that and waiting for a reference to Carmageddon - and it delivered!

Green blood is the answer...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • Ghostscape
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Solution seems like it would be just not to try and sell games off 90% shock value and 10% awful stealth gameplay.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Is anyone surprised by this? I know I'm not. Didn't a similar thing happen with the first Manhunt and with just about every other game with similar content (or mainly any game by Rockstar Games). It's just creating more exposure for the game and drawing more attention to it, which is going to make gamers want it even more.

-caseyjones
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    Solution seems like it would be just not to try and sell games off 90% shock value and 10% awful stealth gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There wasn't that much shock value in the game. I'd say it was closer to 50% shock value, 40% trying to justify the violence by making the guys you "brutally murder" (with the same goddamn piece of glass or plastic bag for the first 50 levels) SUPER EVIL SO ITS OK REALLY GUYS, and 10% absolutely crap stealth gameplay.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I swear I'll dance a frikken jig the day someone whispers in the ear of ratings/classifications boards (particularly in Australia) and informs them that people over the age of 18 play games and there are games out there specifically aimed at that demographic. Although from some previous attempts to do this by games organizations down here, a bat to the head might be more appropriate. I hear the average age of the average gamer these days is 28 and we don't even have an R rating down here. ooo.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You can't blame the OFLC for games getting banned. Their hands are tied by the whims of our government.

Last I heard (Which was admittedly a long time ago) there was only one South Australian senator blocking the R Rating, so if we were to cast of Adelaide to fend for itself, we'd be all good.

With the massive loss of sales all this will entail, do we think this'll finally kill off Take2? They've been having problems for a while.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    While I don't agree with banning any game, using real live imagery of a very young toddler, who was savagely beaten to death and then left on the railway track to be cut in half (which he was) is absolutey disgusting.

The material needs removing from the game and whoever's bright idea that was needs their own head examined. Using the murder of a young boy in this way is simply beyond belief and shows no respect at all for either the child or his parents. mad.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I swear I'll dance a frikken jig the day someone whispers in the ear of ratings/classifications boards (particularly in Australia) and informs them that people over the age of 18 play games and there are games out there specifically aimed at that demographic. Although from some previous attempts to do this by games organizations down here, a bat to the head might be more appropriate. I hear the average age of the average gamer these days is 28 and we don't even have an R rating down here. ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even fucking pretend this is aimed at people OVER 18.
    Seriously, if you're going to talk about adult gamers, this is not what you should use to backup your statement.
    Ofcourse there'll be people over 18 who play this, but that's not their main demographic. I don't believe that. Anytime someone adds disproportionate amounts of gore to anything, it's to appeal to children, or at the very least the child inside of adults.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    While I don't agree with banning any game, using real live imagery of a very young toddler, who was savagely beaten to death and then left on the railway track to be cut in half (which he was) is absolutey disgusting.

The material needs removing from the game and whoever's bright idea that was needs their own head examined. Using the murder of a young boy in this way is simply beyond belief and shows no respect at all for either the child or his parents. mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong game
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong game

[/ QUOTE ]

Which fucking game was that? That's some fucked up shit, right there.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Was'nt there a baby murdered in max payne? I got to that point, and i think it was only audio, and turned it off and never picked it up again. Just some fucked up people out there. They are just making money from shock value, would be 99% the same game without the garbage.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Which fucking game was that? That's some fucked up shit, right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is tacked to a bulletin board in the Law and Order videogame. Pretty sure it's part of clutter in a detective's office.
    evidence.jpg
    In related news, the entire British media is getting an AO rating for using this image.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    AstroZombie
    This was the game. What the fuck were these idiots thinking.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=53790&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully it keeps this stupid excuse for a game off the Wii platform, and influences Rockstar to make games that sell because of quality and gameplay, instead of bad press. Any game design for an adult only audience will find its way into the hands of many children simply because of its nature. It's as if Rockstar wants to prove the rating system isn't working, giving politicians the advantage, and make buying games a hassle for us all. And it continues to put crazies like Jack Thompson in the public eye. Any adult that finds this entertaining needs a head check.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hopefully it keeps this stupid excuse for a game off the Wii platform, and influences Rockstar to make games that sell because of quality and gameplay, instead of bad press.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would go against their whole business model.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    If it was a movie they would slap an R rating on it and no one would give it a second thought. It doesn't matter what you think of the content and it doesn't matter if the game or good is not, this is just political profiteering through double standards. There's nothing worse in Manhunt than what you can go to a store and get on DVD.
  • raydog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it does deserve to have an AO rating. What I don't get is the fact that Sony and Nintendo should have known this all along. Nintendo wanted to shake off it's image as a child only console and so they wanted a more mature title. You can't go any more mature than this. Ratings aside, I've been actually surprised at the scores that it's been getting at some games site. Too bad for those who want to play it because it may never come out or might come out but with a watered down version.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's AO because it's Manhunt and it's made by Rockstar, if Killer 7 was a Rockstar game it would get an AO rating.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18

The diff between movies and games is pretty drastic. One you watch simulated murder. The other you actually do it. I think the big flaw of the ratings system is not the system. Its careless parents and stores selling games to anyone despite the ratings that causes the problems. I also don't like it when people keep referring to titles like this as "Mature” that’s total bullshit. In model_design the other night someone was talking about an anime and said something along the lines of "I expected it to be more mature with blood and killings, but instead they just talked a lot." which I found the thought of blood and killing to be more mature than talking to be a bit funny.

To make things short is shock value games are stupid unless they are also "GOOD" games.

Parents and stores start assuming some responsibilities.
    Game companies stop trying to fuck things up by making shitty games that push the limits of violence but don't even attempt to push the limits of fun.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    There was this game on the 360 released some time ago where you beat up animals with a shovel until their intrails exploded upon the grounds, where upon the other animals would feast.

I say that I want to have manhunt2 on my wii, I enjoy the horror-themes such title can bring, this is no postal-game.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There was this game on the 360 released some time ago where you beat up animals with a shovel until their intrails exploded upon the grounds, where upon the other animals would feast.

[/ QUOTE ]

and they were incestuous too! of course, this was bright and fluffy viva pinata, and not dark and gloomy Brother and Sister Intestine Fucker.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Golly, looks like I won't be able to rip brain stems out on my wii.
    Darn, I was realy looking forward to this brilliantly retarded game
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the game's been suspended, so no worries about our children seeing such insane material... or any consenting adults seeing it either. Hurray, the man has won!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ugh, trash game anyway, the only reason it's getting any hype whatsoever is because of the blatant violence it projects, disgusting. Can't wait for GTA4 =D

in other news... What the hell is with M rated vs AO rated games? ITS A ONE YEAR DIFFERENCE. Apparently a shit load happens between ages 17-18. I didn't notice much outside of the fact that I got laid (maybe thats it?)

I just think it's annoying to have these 17+ games that are perfectly fine to sell in stores (and why shouldnt they be) but then 18+ being banned and not sold anywhere, there is a lot worse crap in R rated movies (which are also 17+). I say get rid of AO and make it part of M. I mean, if you are mature.. then there you go. One year shouldn't make this huge of a fuss
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    bounch: it's like the difference between R and NC-17 in the movie system--there are plenty of horribly violent or sexual movies that probably would have made NC-17 easily, if some sort of public sentiment or ratings board turned against it. it's not really about the content, it's about whether or not they want it out there. ratings systems seem to need to have a "threat" rating to leverage control.
    they have to have a rating which means "this is acceptable, though adult" (R, M for games) and then the "this isn't acceptable" (NC-17, AO). they don't call it rated-X any more, but that's still what it means.
    they can ban a movie or game, effectively, without really banning it, since just as major retailers (Wal-Mart et al) and major movie chains won't carry NC-17 rated films, they won't carry AO games for the same reasoning--getting NC-17 or AO means commercial death, so it's as effective if not moreso than an actual ban, and much tidier to carry out.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    gotcha, thanks for that gauss.

so I think it's safe to assume we will see manhunt 2 out and rated M later this year (or next year)?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Wait;
    All the controversy was simply over a picture of the kid?
    That's it?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The kids was a different game. The Bulger pic was most likely down to sloppiness - some artist needing a shot of CCTV, Google Image search game him/her one.

Basically, 4 or 5 years ago an artist at an american games company needed a CCTV image and they one used was from a british murder 10 years previous to that.