Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

game design assignment

new here, 5666 triagles/3148 polygons, need some crits, its for my game design class

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I would say the first element of the assignment should be how to spell the word "design".

Spelling jabs aside, I'd say for the triangle count you've posted you don't seem to be defining enough detail. I think you could optimize that character quite a bit more, or add detail using the same triangle count.

Good luck, looks like a good start!
  • PolyPutty
    I agree with scooby when you posted your count I was left woundering where all your polys wen't. You could definetly push more form in you character easily with just 5000 poly's.
    You should optimize your character, posibly ask your teacher about optimization. Probably check the hands that is always a problem area, you can easily add another thousand polys to your model if your not careful. oh also cut the polys down on that tie, you need more even distribution on your polygons. You also need to do it to that eye piece. devoting so many polys to the small masses rather than the big masses is a little backwards.

**Edit**

Your Chest and Head are to blocky as well. your model is also riddled with N-sided polygons. This would easily break in any game engine.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Where are all the polys? Can we get a close up of the head. It looks like there is a ton of wasted stuff there.

Also honestly to me this piece is boring. For me it's lacking something that really sticks out and brings it to life and says "HEY. Look at me." I'm not sure how far along on the texture process you are yet but those need to be pushed a lot more.

Are you going for a cartoony look or realism? Right now it seems very wonky / cartoony.

And how the hell is that bow tie staying on there? Did you pin it through his chest?

I'll do a paint over later unless someone beats me to it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's a little hard to read the silhouette with the black background (and I usually don't bother clicking links), it looks like the PNG transparency is messing things up.

The knees are going to collapse horribly, add at least one extra loop in there. If you are tight on polygons, take some out of the feet.

As others have mentioned, your polygon distribution could be improved - lots in the hands and eyeball, not enough to shape the legs, torso, arms etc.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Following up, take a few polys from the spec and eye and put it in your joints, it will make it more useable and more evenly distributed.

You also have a poor habit like what I used to have which is using pie geometry on something that could be done by just connectign the edges horizontally. There is no point haveing the sepcs done like that if its not a main part of the model.

YOu should also render it with a bright material so that when showing the wires the black suit won;t cover it up.
  • emerge
    thx for the help/ replies, here's the concept art not done by me as i'm on the animation team,
    http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/1079/tailor2sn5.jpg

95638757tc7.th.jpg
    64964700wd5.th.jpg
    its meant to be cel shaded, and the game is running on a 2d engine Adventure Game Studio, the models are gonna be made into sprites, and animated for cutscenes.

the main body: 4042 tri/2108 poly
    both eye balls: 448 tri/448 poly
    the stupid glasses thing: 840 tri/420 poly (forgot it was meshed smoothed.... :/) without meshsmooth its only 220 tri/100 poly

what's the average polycount for a game today?

ooo i fixed the 'deisgn' in the title scoobydoo
  • PolyPutty
    Well if your turning them into sprites your count doesn't really matter. It truely is impossible to answer the "what is the standard polycount in the industry?" A polycount is based on so many variables and is truely unique to the game you are making. 3000 to 4000 is a good number to shoot for just to show stuff off. You definately need to not worry about the polycount, the efficency of poly use I feel is more improtant then what polycount it is. you deffinately need to work on your efficency. You also have a bit of a problem with n-sided polys as well, you need to break that habit fast.
  • emerge
    thanks for the advice, emm i'm sorry, i'm still noob at this what's n-side polys? see the lecturer doesn't actually teach us the technical stuff about programs just the ideas and theory on designing.

edit: are n-side polys those floating verts that goes no where? if so i was thinking the same I always use to make them end with a triangle, but I saw lots of models (highly rated ones) on cgtalk.org that leaves them like that and modeling tutorials on dvds that leaves them like that too.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ngons are any polygons that have more than four verts. Tri has 3, quad has 4, and ngon is anything generally undesirable, so, 5+.