Home General Discussion

Halo 3 Beta - What are your thoughts?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
I played the Halo3 beta last night for about an hour, got killed every 5 seconds. lol It seemed like the match making system always paired me with a group of players that had years experience playing halo 2 DM. The Ice planet was pretty, the level on the hill and the one with the jump pads seemed the most balanced. After dying so much, I said goodbye to Halo, and went back to GoW wink.gif. Graphically, halo 3 beta was a bit of a let down, it's only a beta so hopefully they will make use of the Xbox 360s potential in the full game.

I saw a few polycounters playing online last night on my friends list, so i know a few are playing.
Lee

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It's like Halo, but in HD.

Seriously, though. I'm enjoying it, but that's mostly because I'm a Halo freak. It's nice to have it on the 360, integrated into Live with the matchmaking and such. There are some new toys in the game which are a lot of fun, and some new game modes which are pretty good (e.g. Territories). The team modes are always the most fun unless you're playing with a group of friends.

Visually, it's not the hottest thing ever, but they've got a few months left and apparently this build is a couple of months off the current graphical glitz. The Master Chief model definitely looks better than that shitty screenshot they posted a few months back.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I've played it. Yeah I'm out of the Halo 2 style of play and will take some time to get back into it, but I still had a blast. I wasn't too disapointed with the graphics because I don't really think Halo 1/2 really pushed the details like they could. I am sure the final shipped product will be much better and more detailed than what we have seen so far.

Either way I have my Legendary Edition reserved so I can have my Spartan Helmet on my desk.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    listening to the games for windows podcast, they were saying they got killed fast against other players. heh. So i'm not alone wink.gif

If you have a clan or a group of friends, then you may get a few kills.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I do fine with or without friends, you just gotta' get used to what distances the weapons are effective (and what are good combos to switch between. Everyone overlooks plasma rifle/assault rifle, or, really, anything else that requires a weapon switch besides shotgun/sniper.)

I'm really enjoying it, anyway. It plays a whole lot better, to me, than halo 1/2 did. Subtle changes to balance and movement were definitely for the best, and new weapons seem pretty good.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't had the chance to load it up yet. It's sitting there on my Crackdown menu, though. This weekend for sure.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I can't play it. I get a dirty disc error whenever I load the beta. Crackdown works perfectly and I tried my roommates' copy of Crackdown too. It must be my 360 is too awesome to play in the beta.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Played it, it's the first shooter I've played online on a console, among the first times I've played a halo game at all. Found it very fun, and am looking forward to playing some more.

I haven't had the problems with not being able to get kills. I managed to place second in my first game and 3rd in my others. (Except the King of the Hill match I played, didn't fare so well in that one). Guess it's just the luck of the draw.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I never picked up Halo so I decided to try the beta.

What do people find so much fun about this game? To me its fun for about an hour, then it just starts to wear off. There isn't much skill involved, just trying to aim. The first game I played I came in second out of 8 people....and I was running around aimlessly most of the time trying to check out some textures! Hitting someone with your gun is almost always a one hit kill which is lame as well.

As for graphics, I agree, it is a letdown from what they are making it out to be. Sure it is a beta, but I would assume that most of this stuff is just as polished as the other maps will be when they are released. The lighting however, is a great plus.

To me its just another shooting game. Heck, I liked Rainbow Six Vegas much more. Guess its not the game for me.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    at first I was like eh.. wasn't expecting much of the visuals, however in the single player and the FINAL game I expect it to be a huge step up.

after a few games I started really enjoying it, it feels much different jumping, and I never played halo 1 multi so I didnt know how the assault rifle was, but I like it a lot.

the save videos feature is a neat idea, and I hope they expand it more especially to the point where you can watch a vid with a bunch of your friends instead of sharing it and all watching it alone, it would be so much fun watching it with a bunch on live and just commenting on it hahah, a game in itself.

I will continue to try it out but I must say so far I'm lovin it.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    my 360 did the red light dance.. and I've been busy at work and haven't had a chance to send it back to microsoft! What makes it really sad is that I have a bet tester account just waiting to be unlocked :/
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sad that I can't participate in this.
    I knew i should have bought crackdown
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Ouch Spacemonkey, when mine croaked it took 3 months to get it back. I was so choked that it took so long, they gave me two 3 month xbox live codes as an appology. One of them didn't even work, so gg Microsoft customer support.

Anyway I liked it a lot actually. I was never a hardcore halo 1 or 2 player, never owned an Xbox. I managed to keep up with players online, and had fun doing it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm sad that I can't participate in this.
    I knew i should have bought crackdown

[/ QUOTE ]

so buy it now, used, then return it after 7 days.

wink.gif
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    I like the game. There are enough subtle changes to everything to make it a step up. Though, of course, i'm always frustrated that in the end the game just boils down to shoot 3 shots into a guy and bash his face in. No real strategy there. The game would be more fun if everyone wasn't just cannon fodder. But that's how it's always been...

Not to mention its turning (ok, has been) just like the Counter-Strike community, with the douche-bagery, and jackassishness... People who are at the bottom of the scores list, but insist on corpse humping. Maybe im just playing with the wrong crowd.

Also, the game needs AA, and I wasn't overly impressed with the graphics, and if people think that the bubble shield is the best graphics the game has to offer, thats really kind of sad. Its just a fuzz blob.