Home Artists Looking For Work

Weapon / Vehicle Texture Artist Required

RonanHayes
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
RonanHayes polycounter lvl 17
http://www.1944d-day.com

Is looking to outsource 20 - 25 weapon textures.

- The Artist must be capable of unwrapping the models.
- Texturing the models based on accurate research
- Stepping through the texture with Researchers to ensure accuracy
- Capable of taking very specific instructions
- Fast Turnaround time
- Previous experience is essential

The position is to start immediately. This is a remote development position (contract artist). This is not an in house position.

Please Send:

1. Links to existing or similar work (Essential)
2. Full Name and Resume
3. Quotes for:
- 1 Weapon Texture (eg: $150 per weapon)
- 10 Weapon Textures (eg: $1250 for 10 weapons)
- 25 Weapon textures. (eg: $2000 for 25 weapons)

Each Weapon requires to be unwrapped, and have a diffuse texture created.

Main weapons like Rifles, MG's etc will have 2 x 1024x1024 textures (or smaller combinations) while a Pistols or smaller weapons will have 2 x 512x512 (or smaller combinations)

Please email:

recruit@franticgames.com

Samples of existing textures:

M1_Garand_01.jpg
kar98.jpg
M3a1halftrack09.jpg
M3a1halftrack12.jpg

If you are not comfortable matching the above quality, please do not apply.

Due to unsatisfactory applications in the past, we expect quality and the required number of revisions and standards will be written into the contract.
To help you develop your word, we can provide with PSD files which can help with the development of wood, metals, and fabrics.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Are those example prices close to what you're looking for ? 2x1024's per weapon might cost ya a bit more than $150 mate. Considering the quality mark set in those images that is. Have you had any luck finding someone?
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    I also noticed a problem with your quoted price for work.

Your mathematic skills:
    1=150
    10=1250
    25=2000

Should "=" at the price of 150 a texture:
    1=150
    10=1500
    25=3750

Why are you dropping the price each time you ask for more textures from someone? Why would anyone work harder and earn less?

I also did a bit of math on this. Most freelance artists ask for around $30hr or more because they don't get benefits so they need to pay medical bills somehow. Yours isn't exactly a money making company yet so you would probably be charged at $20hr. Not unreasonable for a professional texture artist in the mix. Now for one texture set at $150 you are only giving a professional 7.5hrs to complete a texture.

Freelancer:

$20hr
    1-$150 texture
    =7.5hrs work.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    PMed you. Good luck with your project.

Alex
  • RonanHayes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This position has just re-opened if anyone is interested:

With regards to the prices, these are just examples. The reason for the price drop is that I would be signing on for 10 weapons in one contract. Obviously this all depends on the artist.

I give this as an example, if you want to quote more by all means, it's just an example.
  • .eb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .eb polycounter lvl 12
    I think that you should be more specific with your needs.
    -> It appears that you only *want* diffuse images but you may be expecting specular and normal generation as well.

I do agree with jec1183: - If you contract a large amount of work, you expect to pay 40%-50% less ? Ridiculous.
    I do NOT understand your "pricedrop" nor do I understand why you use such a poor example.

If you would not contract 1 weapon, then why even post the 1 weapon pricing ? ...

My suggestion: re-post, be SpeCiFic and buck-up.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I dont know if you remember me ronan , but i made some textures for you eooons ago ehehe , im glad to know your project is still standing, and i admire your commitment to it.

I would start with doing the following :

so far, all the shots are very inconsistent , like you have normal mapped vehicles, etc , but difuse only guns, i dont know how that would work ingame, something i would advise to dysplay : ingame shots wink.gif

good luck !
  • RonanHayes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am accepting 1 weapon contracts in certain cases. More often than not all the large contracts start with the completion of a 1 weapon contract. Again it is all a case by case basis.

I will put it simply, this is money from my own pocket, if you have issue with how I handle my money so be it, but I have learned all of this the hard way. So thanks to a select number of artists who have ripped me off I air on the side of caution.

The price drop is no unrealistic depending on the weapons, the work load and the timeframe. It is not a case of texturing 25 Rifles or 25 MG's but rather a case of balancing Rifles, MG's with Pistols, Grenades and Knives which are obviously significantly less work thus warrant a more rounded price tag.

Again this is how I do things, if you have issue with it so be it, but my practice nor my stance on this will change. I am handling contracting like this for a reason, and that is to ensure that I get what I pay for. If you want to put in an offer fire ahead, I am not going to force your hand on your quote.

Thus far no contractor has had any issue in how things are done, speedy payment, and exact details ironed out before anything is done. (Also I do not have the ability to edit the existing post, and did not want to appear to be spamming the forums with recruitment posts)

Hi Johnny, yes it is a bit difficult at the momment as we are only going for diffuse, until we are 100% settled on the engines pipeline there is no point progressing with the other maps and wasting time and money. Vehicles do have normal maps, hence why Normal maps are shown, but weapon are still at a stage where we are uncertain how many maps we can place on them.

I do state:

Each Weapon requires to be unwrapped, and have a diffuse texture created.

We are not expecting any other maps, and if we require them we will talk directly to the artist about the costing of extra maps.

The short of it is that I let the artist set the rate of pay. In some cases I have been paying $20 per hour, in other cases I have been paying $30 per hour and in one particular instance I was paying $80 per hour.

The point being the artist sets the price they are comfortable working within. Some people have less expenses than others can price them self for that reason.

So if an artist was to come to me and say that it's $80 per diffuse, I would look to see their quality of work. You can immediately tell if someone is not capable, if they insist they can match that quality, I will set them one piece to do, and payment is at the end of the contract. If they happen to come through, then we establish a business relationship and give them more work.

But $80 is very little for a big task, and you have to wonder why they are offering so little. More often than not I get quotes from $150 - $300 for the diffuse, and I have been more than happy to pay that and more depending on the quality, and the profesionalism of the person.

I have found that in the past the people who have bailed are the established contract workers with several years experience. They have under esitmated the level of work require after reviewing the models and the research, and realised that it was not viable for them. So instead of letting me know and wrapping up the contract they jump ship, with little or no excuse and no refund of the money paid.

You are free to make your own quotes, but please do not push this thread off topic because you feel my pricing examples are not what you would work for. I'm not asking people to stick to them, but I have found that many do seem it's fair. Especailly when 7 out of the 25 weapons are pistols and 9 are small SMG's.

Also if the artist wants full details on the contract they can contact me, and they will get all the information before they start. Last thing I want is to give too much information relating to the work as it does change as more contractors are brought into the fold.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously, I think you should post in-game screenshots if you want more interest.

Renders of models are all well and good, but they do not show that the game they'd be making them for is in any state to be playable. There are far too many mods and "indie games" out there which have a ton of assets but no code base or game design. All of the vehicle and weapon models in the world won't save a poor design or a badly-implemented engine.
    I think you may be missing out on potential contractors who may have been upset by this kind of experience before - some people just want the money, but equally other people want to see their work being used in a proper game environment.
  • RonanHayes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is not a recruitment post for a mod, this is a paying gig. If the contractor wants more than $$$ then we can offer that as well, but we are not willing to post game shots until the team are happy with what we are posting. So we will deal with those issues directly with the contract artist, not on a public forum when we are not ready to showcase our work.

We are a small indie team, and most people will only take one look at the images and cast their judgement. We mess that up and we will struggle to recover from a loss. Another developer that we are often compared to made similar errors in judgement. For that reason we are cautious and careful about what we release. We have no problems doing content dumps left right and centre to show that we are progressing and that we are getting through the huge masses of content. What we cannot do is release ingame shots, and have it backfire for us.

At SplashDamage did you guys release media to contractors? Did you release media when it was not prime to release?

While I may not be able to fund a multi million dollar project, I can manage my finances and ensure that every penny counts.

Our soul reason for hiring contract artists is to address the shortcomings of the team. We realise we do not have enough texture artists to do the job, so we recruit.

Once we get into a position where we are happy with the screenshots and movies. We will release them

The images will come in time, but only when we are happy.

At this momment in time we are focusing on what we feel will put us in the best possible position to release the images. Before that happens we need finished polished content.

Thanks for your comments, I know where you are coming from and I wish our situation was different to permit us to showcase weekly updates, but we are not at that stage yet. The artists we are looking for are those who have read the games conecpt, understand what we are trying to achieve, and then are willing to match the results. If they want more than just a contracting gig, we will deal with that scenario with the artist directly.
  • CreativeLab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear Ser/Madame,
    CreativeLab is recently opened creative workshop that gathers several ambitious, young professionals in graphical design, video production, 3D animation and web design. Since we are positioned in Serbia (former Yugoslavia) and our employees are mainly from this area, we can offer you high quality services at competitive prices.
    The basic idea of our company is to employ people from Serbia and to connect them with western market, with other companies that, due to quality solutions and low price work force, are interested to start long and successful cooperation with us.
    We are a group of well educated professionals that are capable to undertake whole project or a part of it, to find creative solution (this includes multiple submissions for your approval as well as the opportunity for any tweaks and revisions) and to deliver within the agreed deadline.
    Additional information about us, as well as previews of some of our works you can see at our web site www.creativelab.co.yu.
    In case that you are interested in any of our services do not hesitate to contact us for any additional information that we may give you.
    Best regards,

CreativeLab
    Address: Svetozara Radojčića 70b, Beograd, Serbia
    Phone: +381 11 3468 265; Mobile: +381 63 322 924
    E-mail: office@creativelab.co.yu
    Web site: www.creativelab.co.yu/

Art Director
    Aleksandar Dzudovic