Home General Discussion

Dominance War website reopens

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
No results as yet due to "technical difficulties", but at least we've got something to look at now.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, ton of nice wallpapers on there! Strong competition, but Polycount has 8 out of 20 on the wallpapers list... if that means anything.

Also, related blatant self-pimpage: http://www.ldaustinart.com/paul/domwar2/turnaround.mov (8mb)
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    but Polycount has 8 out of 20 on the wallpapers list... if that means anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Considering the Wallpapers page says that this is a list of a few of the judges favorites and Polycount has the most on the list, I say Polycount has a good chance to win, but cgSociety has some really awesome entries in there too.

Very Nice pimpage MoP
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    The wallpapers arent really a good reflection of the results. People had lots of extra time to finish their characters for the wallpapers, and some are probably in better condition then they were during the official handin. Many people didnt hand in wallpapers either, I didnt hand in mine for CGChat. There were 150 entrys, but only 20 wallpapers ATM.

My prediction is... Polycount first, 3dtotal second, CGChat third and CGSociety last. I cant say I really liked any from CGSociety, Gavins was the best from them IMO, but the texture is weird, looks like he's made from mud or poo.

With the Infinity Ward crew gang-raping everyone, I'd be suprised if 3dtotal got less than 1st or 2nd.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. I must admit I haven't taken the time to go through all of the entries from the other websites, but the wallpapers from 3D Total, while both good pieces, don't strike me as winning material.

As for CG Society, that centurion character is a nice piece and the bunny and pig duo looks to be this year's Roderick Murder.

It'll be interesting to see the results. Theres a hell of a lot more contention for that top spot this time around. Polycount winning looks far from a foregone conclusion.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Jackablade, while there are some awesome entries from Polycount, there have definitely been some seriously nice ones over at CGChat. It will be a close war this year.

-caseyjones
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really know who's going to win this year, but the level of some entries simply fried my brain just by watching, the level of artistry is 115% what last year was.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was seriously gawking at all of these, my favorites though (it's really tough, they are ALL awesome) would have to be:

Taehoon - HOLY SHIT first time I saw this it just struck me down and ate my corpse

muppet man - I really like this, I would like it more if she didn't have man-hair. that really turned me off :P otherwise, it's fucking awesome.

Not to mention, all the polycount ones were just omg. wink.gif, especially peppi vahl and spacemonkey's.

Gosh!

Next year I hope I have enough skill to even turn in something a quarter this amazing, but obviously practice will be the only way that would have a chance of happening, which means I gotta bust out some stuff to get critiqued soon smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That is probably the great collection of videogame character art I have ever seen.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    there should be a whole collaborative effort to make a game based on a contest like the dom war, where we have tons of people from around the world each doing different assets or something, then they judge what teh best of everything is then make it into a real game.

If there was stuff half as good as the entries in dom war 2 it would look better than 95% of the games out there now !
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    There is some really amazing stuff in there. To bounchfx's point, I think the reason this contest has gotten so big is because there hasn't been a game to take the place of Q3A for ease of use and popularity of downloadable player models. There is a BIG opportunity out there for a shooter game to take advantage of communities of artists like Polycount. We need a game that lets players browse and download user created player models that other players can see them using.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, how about posting the URL, FFS? tongue.gif

Some really awesome work there. I agree with Doc, it would be great if someone would release a current-gen game that was as friendly as Q3 for importing PPMs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the reason this contest has gotten so big is because there hasn't been a game to take the place of Q3A for ease of use and popularity of downloadable player models. There is a BIG opportunity out there for a shooter game to take advantage of communities of artists like Polycount. We need a game that lets players browse and download user created player models that other players can see them using.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but there are too many reasons for a game NOT to be that open. With the push to Console/Online play I doubt there will be anything as big as HL, UT, and Quake ever again.

Great wallpapers, nice shameless plug MoP =P
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn, you guys could make your own game out of the entries, ©The idea smile.gif.

Great wall papers, just hope we get to see every final entry not just there top choices.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    heh, and you could call that game "The Dominance War", and you'd already have a sequel and all the characters :P
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    here's hoping UT3 will be easy enough
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey I threw this wallpaper together of the ones I liked the most.

I figured some may want a wide screen wallpaper with more than one character on it so here it is here.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dude thats awesome now how about one for us non wide screens lol
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, try this yet?

=P neener-neener-neeeeeeeeeener
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    h8

whuts photosop
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    That is an incredibly impressive collection of models. Too bad the wallpaper renders were so incredibly dark which made it hard to actually get a good look at some of them.

MoP, your (and Tully's) model is definitely my favourite, probably the best game character I've ever seen. Design is very original, color is great and the pose is by far the best of the bunch. Hard to lipsync though. :P

I'm so joining next year if I'm not as backed up with work again...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, try this yet?

=P neener-neener-neeeeeeeeeener

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

-caseyjones
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    That is an incredibly impressive collection of models. Too bad the wallpaper renders were so incredibly dark which made it hard to actually get a good look at some of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

your monitor seams to have some serious problems tongue.gif i can see them all in a nice normal bright way
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that is mind-blowing. So much quality. Hats off to all of you.