Home Technical Talk

WHO HAS NOT TAKEN THE TIME TO TRY MOTIONBUILDER

For anyone who has not tried alias motionbuilder, i highly recommend it. although sometime polycount is all about the high res high poly models they make with z brush or mudbox, i think that getting them into some really moving situations in terms of lip synching and interacting with characters and getting into crazy gunfights swordfights and explosions and GOD DAMN.

so im really getting the hang of motionbuilder, ive been working on my film for 7 months now, not for profit, just for portfolio, learning how to get all of my models and rigging skinning and morphs into motionbuilder and back without any problems. the voice device with real live character movement is just amazing, talk into the microfone and withing miliseconds the characters talking along with you, high poly real time character animation is a life saver to make effective realistic movements, as opposed to waiting for 3ds max lag when animating.

if you dont have it, go buy it itll be the best investment u will make.

if anyones gotten good at it id like to hear about successes with it, or any tips they hve for my intermediate skills with it.

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    woah for a second i thought you were mr bones.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    I DIDN'T TRIED IT, WHY DO YOU NEED IT?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    ARE IT USABLE FOR GAME ART? MAYBE FOR TEXTURING?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I work on real time environment art, so... Nope.
  • Pavel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
    YESH! MOTIONBUILDE IS GOOD THING
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess this only applies to animators, which I think we have only a handfull of in here?
  • ohsomogilicious
    haha oh i thought there were more animators among us, hmm well u guys should at least bring ur kool models to life, it gives u a better perspective on their cahracter
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yea , there are not too many modellers who animate. motion bulder is ment to be pretty cool though.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]

if you dont have it, go buy it itll be the best investment u will make.

if anyones gotten good at it id like to hear about successes with it, or any tips they hve for my intermediate skills with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used it for about 6 months. However after this time we decided that the advantage it presented over biped wasn't worth 8 thousand AUD.

However I didn't use it for film-quality animation, or lipsynch, just for editing mocap and for creating new animations for games.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I used it extensively as a member of the Pixel Corps, but it's been a while since I did something in it. I remember it being amazing to work in. Very intuitive and robust. Put it together with Endorphin and it's a total killer combo.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I am trying to learn more about animation so that i have somthing new to offer a company besides modeling / unwrapping /textureing and rigging so I would be interested in learning more make a mini tutorial or somthing to help a new user out or send some links to get me started and i'll try it when ever i have time.

Gj on learning some new tools can we see some pimpage?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i feel the whole transfer of rigs, skinning and whatever else just makes things more difficult than they should be. on top of that, i only hear complaints about motionbuilder's stability from the guys in the mocap department. and that is what we use it for, really. manual animation is done in max/maya.
    what unique features does motionbuilder offer to make it a better solution for this? i know the nifty, mirai-like rig behaviour from the old kaydara max plugin but apart from that (traditional animators don't seem to miss it anyway) what makes you choose MB over what you already have in your pipeline?
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, you're going on about how GREAT motionbuilder is, but you're not really telling us any of the benefits to using it. What makes it so great?

I agree, animating with the max biped is rather slow, but that's another matter entirely
  • ohsomogilicious
    listen kids, i know most of you are modelers, but if u want to see ur creations come alive and know anything about bipeds then i recommend learning it because its real time, try animating in max or maya and tell me how fast your hi poly models move, doesnt matter if u have a kick ass pc, itll be slow as hell

keep an open mind, we al llike to learn new things Xp
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    imo, I like it for putting motion capture data into animation and I did used it for a several months back in school but I'm not into animation right now so I don't bother with it atm. I also had a lot of fun reassigning the skeleton structure from time to time.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Well, listen you ohsomogilicious, we don't animate our high poly models, we animate the low poly proxies, or ingame meshes, and use high poly to generate normal map for low poly. SO IT'S REALTIME in Maya too! Now you just learned a new thing. So why don't you try ZBrush 3? It's an awesome program. You can even pose your very HIGH poly model in realTIME using TransPosE tools! How cool is that?!

That aside, our animation department uses motion builder for mocap edit and manual animation; I checked it out long time ago when it was Kaydara's, but I wasn't much into animation. Then when Alias added HumanIK system to Maya after buying out Kaydara, I was so excited to have that full body IK rig available, but it turns out it's a bit of a pain to use.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i wouldn't go adding a walk cycle or any of the other canned movements from motion builder and put in your portfolio that you are an animator... It's nice but unless you know how to clean and filter your mocap data you want also put your own animations hand keyed.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Was it really necessary to bring this thread back up only to ignore the questions people posed about the actual benefits of said program? tongue.gif