Home General Discussion

Ugh.. car was broken in to last night.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Driver side window was completely smashed in. They didn't take anything except for everything in the center console - which was a few mix-tape CD's. I don't get this though as my iPod, insurance papers, and disc player were still in the glove compartment. I'm guessing it was some crack-head looking for a few dollars to fill his need for a fix.

So right now I'm stressing because nothing is open Sundays to take the car in to get a new window. So the car is sitting in the same spot that it was broken in to with no window - easily accessible. I have a club on the steering wheel (no need to educate me on how easy it is to get around them) and removed everything valuable from the car. I'm hoping it doesn't get stolen over night.

Anyone have this happen? How much did it cost to have the window replaced? I've heard $200-350 so far from different people.

Replies

• Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Sleep in the back seat overnight! crazy.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, unlucky man frown.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Cut out a plastic trashbag (if you have them) and tape that into the window area that got smashed out. It looks ghetto as hell, but at least if there is any precipitation of any kind over night, it will keep a good amount out and will show people "Yes, I have already been broken in to, please move along."

Sucks dude, sorry about it.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They didn't take anything except for everything in the center console - which was a few mix-tape CD's. I don't get this though as my iPod, insurance papers, and disc player were still in the glove compartment. I'm guessing it was some crack-head looking for a few dollars to fill his need for a fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or someone who thinks you make bangin' mix cds and tapes!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cut out a plastic trashbag (if you have them) and tape that into the window area that got smashed out. It looks ghetto as hell, but at least if there is any precipitation of any kind over night, it will keep a good amount out and will show people "Yes, I have already been broken in to, please move along."

Sucks dude, sorry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this!
    See it all the time
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Sucks ass, welcome to Vancouver. And yes the seran wrap with duct tape window for the win!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's balls man! Had a similar thing happen to my car while I was overseas. Wanted to leave the car with my housemates, yet my parents advised me to leave the car with them because it would be safest at their house.
    Came back to find my stereo was stolen... My sister forgot to lock the car door/activate the alarm. JERK!
    But I recently cracked the windshield in my car (punched in anger... DICKHEAD!) and I've had an average quote of about $250 (about US$180 give or take), so for a side window it shouldn't really cost that much.
    But yeah, the plastic trasbag and duct tape for the win! "ghetto as hell" is exactly right, but a temp fix. I see it all the time in my hood (mainly near the train station).

-caseyjones
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    At least they didn't slash your convertible top....
    (dont know if you remember my poor little car from your visit)

You have my sympathies man. The world is full of shitty people who do shitty things to the rest of us.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Ugh. I don't understand how people can do that. I'm sorry it happened to you Adam, I have quite a few friends who have had the same thing happen to them, EVERY time there is odd circumstances.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I know how you feel, mate. I had someone come into my house (the door wasn't locked adequately) and steal my wallet and watch from my bedroom. While I was asleep in my bed.

Its a fucking lousy feeling. Good that you dind't lose anything much besides the window pane
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    my car's been vandalised twice since i moved house in november ... once shortly after moving in, when someone went down the street heavily keying the rooftop of every parked car, and the other week when someone decided it'd be funny to kick my wing mirror clean off.

god ... just to catch them doing it ...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    god ... just to catch them doing it ...

[/ QUOTE ]

"I wish I could've caught him doing it, ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything to catch that asshole doing it. It would've been worth him doing it, just to caught him doing it. [...] What's more chickenshit than fucking with a man's automobile? I mean, don't fuck with another man's vehicle." -- Vincent Vega
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it's enough to make you want to get medieval on his bottom
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    That fuckin sux man frown.gif Dickheads FTL

Best of luck with insurance etc.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, sorry about that. I really needed some new music, all my other stuff was getting a little too old.

But come on, Britney Spears? You can do better than that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that sucks, I hope you get it fixed soon, the really crappy thing is they are just waiting for the insurance check the clear so you put in all new stuff, then bang they are in it again. Of course since they weren't after everything they might not be that smart. The ones in my area are tho. The gutter/curb by my old place had more broken glass than leaves and gunk.

2 years ago I was carpooling with a guy who had his car broken into to, it was a cold ride into work that morning. I offered to drive until he got it fixed but it was a matter of principal. Lucky for us he dropped it off overnight at Speedy and I think it cost him $200. 2 days after it was fixed, the same window was smashed in. Both times he had nothing and they took nothing. The irony of the situation the second time is he figured he would avoid future window smashing by leaving the doors unlocked.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah I am thinking of leaving the driver side door unlocked from now on. Thanks everyone for the kind words - and shitty news to those who've had this done before. I REAAAALLY wish I could have seen the fucker who did it.

$220, all repaired and cleaned. WOOT.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    FUCK.

Three weeks later... AGAIN. This time they bent the top half of the door frame outward.

Fuck. Fuck. FUCK. What I wouldn't give to catch the fuckers in the act.

One of few nights I mistakingly LOCK my door. Not only that, but I had ST: Voyager Seasons 1-5 DVD's in the trunk that I borrowed from a friend I was retuning THIS morning which the mother fucker stole.

Aaaaaaaaaargh, beyond PISSED.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    My car was broken into on monday of last week. They took my sweater and left my ipod in the car (which was at the bottom of my center console.

It cost me 190 dollars to fix. the ghuy came to my workplace and fixed it on the spot.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ross did they break the car window?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ever since these became popular, its much easier to just smash and grab then it is to try and jimmy the lock. On one hand its a pain because they bust out the window but its easier to replace the window then it is a broken beaten lock or inner workings of the door.

It sounds like your thief hasn't bothered to lift one of those "safety tools" yet and is still using brute force. Maybe you should leave him one on the hood of your car so he doesn't mangle the door frame again =/

While you're at it leave him a poison twinkie sitting on your dash...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sry to hear that man,

Get yourself a buddy/or/someone that will allow you to use his/their garage?

How fancy is your car? I keep thinking it's someone you know (ppl are messed up man) how'd he know to look in the back,eh if he didnt do it the first time?

Get some kind of camera and record your car over night. I don't know how your location looks so the surveillance might not help but it's worth a shot to catch them in the act.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow adam, thats bad luck man frown.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    yeah dude, at this point you should definitely try to catch this perp with some surveillance equipment. he struck twice, its bound to happen again.
    sux about the voyager dvds, a great series, and those discs are pricey.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Electrify your car. If you see a pile of smoldering ashes around your car in the morning, you got him.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    that fucking sucks man, I'm sorry

I wish there wasn't all kinds of fucking ass holes in the world but then it wouldn't be this world I guess.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Find images off the web of mutilated bodies, burned bodies and such and print them out large and clear. Tape this to the inside of the window. Include some lines of text for best effect..something along the line of "break in again and you'll join your pals featured here",
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Or a simple message saying "this car is NOW under video surveillance" Emphasize NOW.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If a crackhead is looking for a fix, they won't care about any of the above mentioned ideas. That said, I appreciate the (imaginative) ideas you lot have given.

I'll just keep the door unlocked ALL the time from now on and not keep anything valuable in there.

$500 deductible then insurance pays the rest, woo.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You need a trunk monkey

Sorry to hear how badly they fucked up your car this time. It sucks in general when someone breaks in and steals your shit, but even worse when they do major damage.

Me and my wife have been suspecting that someone is stealing our gas... and most likely the new neighbors if this is the case. I'm still trying to determine if we are just using more gas lately, or if someone is actually taking it. For me, I just started locking/arming my car since it has a gas door release inside the car. My wife's van isn't as fortunate though. She arms her factory alarm, but that doesn't protect the gas. Sometimes you wish it was possible to just watch the cars all night and pummel the assholes when you catch them in the act.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Can you not go down to the local car goods store (They are called Supercheap Auto or Midas here etc.) and buy a locking fuelcap? Most modern cars just have a catch on the outer flap and no protection at all on the inner cap like the old cars. I am sure there are some other fairly cheap solutions availible too. Perhaps even ask an auto electrician to wire up an extra alarm sensor to the flap.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'll break legs for 1000 bucks a pop. I've got a nice expandable baton and some zip ties and face hoods that I have left over from the days in the military. I'll stalk these bastards like a lion stalks the gazelle. It will be a blast.

Hell I'll even pick up a tranquilizer gun to liven things up a bit.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Fuckin' Scumbags dude.

$500? Ugh, set up some surveillance, sit up late at night watching it, thinking about how close to death you should bring someone for costing you $720+, and general douchebagery. Sorry to hear it bud. :/
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can you not go down to the local car goods store (They are called Supercheap Auto or Midas here etc.) and buy a locking fuelcap? Most modern cars just have a catch on the outer flap and no protection at all on the inner cap like the old cars. I am sure there are some other fairly cheap solutions availible too. Perhaps even ask an auto electrician to wire up an extra alarm sensor to the flap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I can't work around it, but the van's gas cap is attached to a tether that I don't want to cut.