Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Karate Frankenstein!

ill_logic
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
My new portfolio project, a character for a fighting game. Basically the idea's an evil brute character. Escaped convict takes refuge at a backwoods karate dojo, but continues to be evil & cruel. The frankenstein part was unintentional but kind of a happy accident; i like it. I don't really intend for him to actually be undead, but just jacked up. here's two loose concepts of the versions I want to do:
DAIGOROCONCEPTARTFINAL.jpg
i plan to do both, seeing as fighting game characters often have two alternating costumes. 1P's a definite, but i'm still tweaking the details for 2P. the prayer beads are way too akuma.
at any rate, i started on the base model. i'm not sure of next-gen fighting game polycounts (i did some searching but got varying numbers), but he's at 5180 triangles in the shots below. i plan on taking him into mudbox & getting some of those base muscle/scar details down before i start adding the clothes.
dai-wip01.jpg
dai-wip02.jpg

any thoughts would be appreciated!

-J

Replies

• Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, I like the idea of this character! It's looking good so far, I can't wait to see him animated. smile.gif
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    That looks like a interesting character to work on. I like the style, but the arms and legs of the model seem too long even for a exagerated look. It looks fine on the concept pic even from that angle.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with allyx on the arm&leg length. It will be interesting to see what you will do in mudbox with those pumped up muscles.
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ill_logic, I like both of your concepts a lot, but I think you are right about the prayer beads on P2 being too Akuma. I think if you just replace those with something else (maybe a thick chain and padlock or more barbed wire) then it would be fine.

Can't wait to see more.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necklace of teeth / claws? poly108.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff man, why don't you just give him another jacket perhaps made out of some endangered animal to suggest he killed it like say a tiger. I like the concepts as is though minus the huge beads.

Alex
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Very good work! I like the proportions of the concept more. Right now he is tall like an basketballplayer. smile.gif
    The lower legs looking somehow broken to me.
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys! i really appreciate all the critiques & suggestions!
    i tried doing some tweaks with the proportions to kind of make them a little closer to the concept. i'm having a bit of difficulty trying to achieve that same sort of exaggerated, yet semi-plausible looking physique of say sagat from sf or marduk from tekken.
    dai-wip03.jpg
    his arms are a little bit shorter & thicker. same for his legs, although in comparison to that last image, they really don't seem all that different. they tend to look deceivingly shorter in the other concepts as his pants are fairly baggy looking. also i made his head a little bit smaller in order to kind of make him seem a bit bigger/more monstrous.
    right now i was only looking to have a mesh somewhere in the ballpark in terms of the anatomy, but able to deform properly. i plan on doing most of the muscle tone in mudbox so that way i still have pretty ok deformation at the joints, but the proper bulk/tone too.
    as for the 2P model, a big part of it is going to be that full body yakuza tat so i don't want to do something that will cover a lot of that up. i was thinking about maybe making the beads smaller & steel, more like ball-bearings, & the necklace itself longer. the padlock's a good idea but maybe a little bit more fitting for the 1P version? and the tooth necklace is a little too croc dundee for me i'm afraid lol i'm kind of aiming for either something traditionally japanese or something that will kind of demonstrate for his cruelty/evilness.

anyway i hope to have more for you all soon!! thanks for all the feedback thus far!

-J

(also, relgames? what's your avatar from? a game of sega's wonder something?, it's bothering me i can't remember it lol)
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    A good way to check proportions is to establish the head first and use it to measure body parts, go over the 2D version and then adjust your model.

You should make the abs area wider, add some mass to upper legs, also it looks like the forearm is slightly longer than his upper arm. His head is smaller on top and the jaw is wider.
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

(also, relgames? what's your avatar from? a game of sega's wonder something?, it's bothering me i can't remember it lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, yeah it was a Sega game called Fantasy Zone for the Sega Master System. It was the first game I ever bought wink.gif
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried the head thing but i didn't take into account how far apart his legs were spread. i tried out what you suggested & it's looking good to me. thanks for the suggestions psyko!

and fantasy zone! i thought 'wonder' was in the title. i had a sms myself & i just remember those posters they'd give you with all the games on the back & always seeing that one lol

i laid out the uv's & took it into mudbox. i started on the face details. thing is it kind of went into a different direction. i kind of like it although it's kind of losing that cartoony-ish frankenstein thing. hoping to hear thoughts on it:
    dai-wip04.jpg
    mind you it's only smoothed once or twice here, to kind of shape the face. i plan on adding wrinkles & asymmetric details soon.

-J
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    that looks really powerfull! really nice and clean sculpting. I think the nose could use some adjustments though (the nostrils are too thin/not low enaugh) and the edge on the neck is too sharp, the muscles look like he's wearing a coat. The eyes, eyebrow, cheek, chin and mouth are the best parts IMO :P
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the neck muscle (sternocleidomastoid)is curving too much and it should start behind the ear and attaches to the clavical bone, might wanna fix that wink.gif.
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Japhir, i did as you suggested!
    psyk0, what you're saying is to bring the top part up a bit more forward, closer to the jaw line? i'm having problems finding the anatomy book i usually refer to! laugh.gif thanks!

-J
  • Psyk0