Home General Discussion

New job!!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Been quite a wonderful weekend and today i was offered a job at Deadline Games in Copenhagen Denmark. I am pretty damn thrilled, the company seems like a real nice place to work at and after touring the place i was pretty excited about the project id be working on which i cant mention due to NDA, sorry.

I spent all of this weekend in Copenhagen and was equally excited with the city,it has a large town look with a small town vibe. The people are friendly and laid back and they city is full of alot of nice cafes and pubs to have a beer or coffee and chill and there are tons of hot nordic girls all around. Theres almost no traffic,no crime and after a year ill get 5 weeks of paid vacation,wish they had that in America. It will be 2 months or so till they get my visa sorted but thats ok because i can wait to come to such a wonderful place.

Replies

• Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    way to go!!! congrats on the job and i hope you'll enjoy kopenhagen smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    congrats on the new job! laugh.gif
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds awesome man... you're moving up in the world smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Grats, copenhagen rocks. Say hello to the MOA for me laugh.gif (You'll see them on trains.)
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Great city, hope the job is equally fun. Congrats!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sounds awesome man... you're moving up in the world smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha thanks man you aint kidding
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    after a year ill get 5 weeks of paid vacation,wish they had that in America

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like work??? :P
    Seriously though, it's just a matter of different living styles. Europeans prefer more time off, but they sacrifice the higher pay we get in the states. In the U.S, we're the opposite - we prefer more work and more money.

Big congrats on the new job - sounds like it will be a blast smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats dude, big step moving countries as well.
    5 weeks paid vacation is pretty sweet, I get 4 weeks here.

-caseyjones
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I get 2 weeks of DTO - discretionary time off. That's my vacation time, as well as sick days.

frown.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Wow you get to move to Europe that is a major score !!!
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Well done Jo, I know you had it shitty time back there for a bit.

I get 5 weeks, and a good salary.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats to the job! You're pretty damn close to me now (Malmö). Beware! ;D
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats, sounds look a cool place smile.gif.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well done Jo, I know you had it shitty time back there for a bit.

I get 5 weeks, and a good salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, thankfully it all fell into place at the right time, two things i wanted from my next job was a good/proper studio and an exciting project to work on.

I found out about this job and studio from a member of another industry forum i got to who happened to work there as well and he told me to apply which i did. I researched the studio,applied and got a phone interview and in the end i got a good feeling about the place.

Last friday i flew to Copenhagen for an in person and the studio work culture really impressed me,the project is exciting,the workers looked very happy and they expressed to me a huge emphasis on a good quality of life for their employees and a good product. And an added bonus is that the city impressed me as well,i had a weekend to look around and get a vibe for the place and it seems like it will be both an exciting job and exciting environment to live in.

And i know the norm is for foreigners to move to the US to work in the industry but if any of you American polycounters ever get the chance to work at a good studio outside the US who will sponser your visa and you have nothing really tieing you down,give it a try. For me all and all it has been a great experience for me, i got to meet people from all around the world,i learned alot about my self and especially what i love about my country and i got to dispell alot misconceptions about how people view Americans,which by the way we are not hated just our goverment.

And in the end its a fun adventure as well,you get to try foreign foods,beer,omg especially the beer and foreign girls, my neck still hurts from all of the beautiful blonde nordic beauties i saw this weekend. Not to mention im a big history buff and i look foward to visiting places like Normandy, Rome and all of the museums and historical sites ive always wanted to see.

I think ive been very fortunate to be able to do what ive always wanted to do since i was a little boy (make video games!!) and to be able to do it in an exciting place is an added bonus.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Hey JO420. Welcome to denmark. There's now officially around 4 polycounters in the DK, yeh. CPH it's a great place to be so I hope you have a blast. I hope to get an internship in the city from september.

Just to get you started on your new vocabulary:

Beer = bajer
    Game = computerspil
    3d model = 3d model confused.gif
    girls = damer

Congrats
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Yes hi JO420 it looks like we will be meeting soon then smile.gif, well done on the job at Deadline, watch out for those nordic blonds if they are around 30 yo babies are the order of the day at that age. Tuborg is definatly the best beer in the world, as far as hangovers go, and before you decide where to live in KBH make sure you have some local info, everywhere is niceish, but some places are just dead boaring.

Hej nkoste, hvem er de andre 2? Og hvad laver du i kolding?

Hilsen

tim
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Hej tpe. Det var bare et skud, men jeg tror nok nogenlunde det passer, der er michaelczyk, jeg ved ikke om han er dansk, men han er i danmark, s
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    That's really cool dude. I met a bunch of the guys on the team at GDC and they were probably one of the coolest groups of people I met there. I had never heard of the company or any of the games they did, but they were the company that left an impression on me just because of how cool and chill everyone I met was...and they were really willing to answer questions and whatnot.

Let us know how it is after a few months of work! smile.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tuborg is definatly the best beer in the world, as far as hangovers go, tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i rather liked it,the first day i arrived i was walking down a busy street and saw a guy drinking this huge ass 1 liter mug of it at a cafe. I sat down,pointed at the guys beer and said "i want one" after that the jet lag kicked in and i needed a nap smile.gif