Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Happy Birthday!! crazy.gifcrazy.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Happy B-day PC!!

I was 15, and wouldn't have my first computer for another 4 years. Found Polycount soon after. Now I'm making my way into the industry.

Thanks you big green tub of manlove. I wouldn't be here without ya.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Happy b-day! [insert funny picture of a kitten or some other equally obnoxiously unrelated photo here]

9 years ago, I was attending Full Sail learning what they called "3D" with "Nurbs" in a program called "Power Animator" on an "SGI". Younger members here will probably only recognize 1 of those words in quotes above.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Damn 9 years ago I was playing command and conquer and writing viruses to destroy my high schools computers and playing a lot of quake.

Happy Birthday Polycount!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Happy B day!

I was skateboarding and partying with friends 9 years ago. =)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That's when I was in end of 8th to beginning of 9th grade. My family got a P2 300mhz with windows 98, shortly thereafter I had my first experience with game editing tools, milkshape and paintshop pro.
  • Mr Delish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy berfday!!!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Happy Birthday To The Great Black & Green.

9 years ago or so:
    I was 16 going out with a very hot chick I do not have a picture of sadly lol. Besides that hanging with friends and occasionaly going on AOL. YUK!

on another note:
    When Quake 3 came out and I came here, started my venture into 3D artistry as a hobby with all you gurus on the board I became hooked and wanted to learn more. Now I do it as a profession and have had some paid projects come and go but still glad I found Polycount and had the enthusiasm I did to follow a passion I enjoyed.

And all because of some guy/s/ who thought PolyCount was a cool idea for a site smile.gif.

*Long Live the <font color="black">Black </font> & <font color="green">Green </font> !*
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I heart you pcount.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I've been introduced to so many great people through Polycount, and it's an invaluable source of info for me and others alike. Happy Birthday Polycount, we love you!
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I was 11! Happy Birthday Polycount!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Happy birthday Polycount!

He. I found polycount because of an awesome "Knife Tutorial" by Rat. We had a short fling, which later turned out to be quite the romance. I still love U Polycount!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Goddamn, 9 years? I was 21. Happy Birthday!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Happy Birthday!

9yrs ago I was playing quake.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I came to Pcount around 1999 or so. I was working at a "3d Content Boutique" that made its bread and butter doing visualization for architects. I was hired to do everything and anything else. When the tech buble burst the local architects tightened their belts- our company did a nosedive. I pushed for a transition to gaming, but the boss turned pessimistic and threw in the towel. Our last hire, known here as Ryno, told me about Polycount and I got in on the "comic babe" contest that one Mr. Steed hosted.

Today I'm working on my 13th title. I don't frequent the black and green so much these days- I hung out here a lot more when I was freelancing, sitting at my home office, and needed some friends. But I try to check in now and then. Happy Birthday!
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haaaaaaaaaaappyyyyyyyyyyy B-dayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!
  • Andopolis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andopolis polycounter lvl 18
    I've been coming here since the days of Q2PMP, and funnily enough I'm wearing a Polycount tee right now! (it's a bit faded as I got it 2000) Polycount always seems to be the first url that pops into my head when I'm sitting in front of internet explorer/firefox and have time to spare.
    grin.gif

It's a bit sad that the player models have disappeared from the site though. This might be the wrong place to bring it up but does anyone know what's happening about that?

HB Polycount!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    9 years ago I was 12 spending lots of time at the arcade with Tekken 3. I was not interested in any kind of art at the time. It was a Quake 3 character tutorial at Polycount what made me start with game art. I'm 21 now and I have learned a great deal from both tutorials and the message boards during the last six years.
    Thanks to everyone who made this place and who contributed.
    Happy birthday Polycount!
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    wow, this is late.... Happy Birthday Polycount! 9 years ago I was here learning from the likes of R13 and whoever else would help trying to figure out how to get a character into Quake2 using 3DsMax, Q2 Modeller for touchups and Vweap and Nphernos skin tool . Now i'm modeling characters and whatever else in Maya for an animation company.

This place has gained the respect it deserves in the industry I have noticed.

My only regret of the 9 years is this. I thought Q2PMP / Polycount would be the force to make character creation for video games mainstream so everyone could do it. Now not even game artists do it in their spare time. More people made custom player models for video games for Quake2/Quake3 than any game I can think of. At the time I could see no future without that and no way it would not take off. I thought game companies would make it more and more possible to create player models. Hopefully that time will come again!

Its hard to replace the feeling of entering a game, like the Q2 PMP Spankdown and see everyone wearing their own models...

Oh, and I kicked some ass in the Q2PMP Spankdown, and I still want my paper Quake Guy I was supposed to have won smile.gif

oh and... ITS A CONSTANT COSTUME PARTY.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats o' mighty Green Machine! Still alive and well!! Good to see old friends....best wishes!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    HAHA!! DNF only has one year on us! YUS!!!!