Home Technical Talk

How many tweaks does it take....?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
...for a 3d model to be legitimately yours? Just wondering about this, you hear about with imagery you can change a certain percentage and it no longer is something they can sue you for, but where is the line drawn for 3d models, if any line can be drawn? Do you give the person partial credit?

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    touchy,, i would say don't tweak other peoples models and say its yours. unless absolute permision is given to do so. but in general, i would say if ANYONE ANYWHERE can reongnize the model then you did not tweak enough.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When in doubt, credit.

If someone can recognize the original in any part of your work, then you've failed to change it enough.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The problem with 3d models especially characters is that a persons edge flow is a dead giveaway of who made the model. If you remember, Bobo's Brunt Q3 project, you can easily see if a model was just knocked off his or even based on how he did it. Of course it depends, but I would credit anyone if I used it out of respect. If it's a base mesh like something that ships with XSI and you turn it's human into a dragon it's a little different. I suggest be careful if it's for a commercial use.

Alex
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dont really know if edge flow would be called a dead giveaway. A lot of models I've seen have near identical edge flow with mine. Its just natural. Hell, I used to copy the edge flow of something I'd see posted online from someone else, but I'd hardly call that plagiarism.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Aesir I wouldn't call it plagiarism either, but edge flow in certain models show a clear style, and because of this people can identify where the model came from. I used Bobo's model as an example because a few years back when it got released, someone posted a model that pretty much copied or used it as is for the torso up for the new model. Someone made a comment about it when the person posted their work. The higher the polycount the harder it is to hide or change a models topology, so it just something I happen to notice and decided to mention. I have studied several games and the player models seem to come from the same base mesh or it's just the style.

Alex
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what about if you do a contract for a company and you've made some high poly models for use with projection, is it ok to use the same models unchanged for another contract with a different company later down the track?
    I mean small things like plants and rocks or maybe small details used on a building.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, last time I checked IIRC when you do assets for a company it becomes totally their property, waiving your rights to own the meshes you got paid for making.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if you only sell the textures and lowpoly assets produced from the high poly models and not the high poly models themselves?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Even if you only sell the textures and lowpoly assets produced from the high poly models and not the high poly models themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally you would be paid for the entire process, not simply the end result, so yeah your highres meshes would be company property. Because often times you're modeling a strick concept a company gives you that really you couldnt use for someone else without blatantly ripping off said concept. This is mostly relevant for very unique things like characters and such, the art there will most definately not be yours to do with as you please. But say you model a set of bricks, and build a set of modular peices for some game, i'm pretty sure you could get away with using those bricks again on a different project, as long as you're not just reusing the same asset again. This should all be something you can ask about when you get a contract from someone.

Now contrary to this you can straight up sell your pre-created assets, and retain all rights to these. I'm not sure if i've completely gone off topic here but its interesting to think about.

As far as using someone else's models for source for your normals maps and such, i think that all would come down to getting permision and/or if they're freely aviable and stated free to use(like mayang textures).... I'm not really sure of the legality of that tho, but i wouldnt personally suggest using anyone elses as really any part of your own without some permision, its just bad practice and could come back to hurt you and your reputation as an artist.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

But say you model a set of bricks, and build a set of modular peices for some game, i'm pretty sure you could get away with using those bricks again on a different project, as long as you're not just reusing the same asset again. This should all be something you can ask about when you get a contract from someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clearing that up, thats exactly what I was talking about.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mm, what if you have a base model that you are totally happy with, say a head for example. In a way that is a template and if you used that for commercial work I can't see why you should not use it again at another contract.