Home General Discussion

Happy Ninth Birthday Polycount!

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder
It's that time again; the birthday of the green and black. It seems like I was just doing this a few weeks ago. On April 1st, 1998 we opened our doors to the public as the Q2pmp. We served up the best and worst of Quake2 models with a few other sites in the community like The Bodyshop. We graduated to Quake 3 Arena models and we upgraded the site to the official green and black and the name change that you are familiar with now. Over time the community has grown away from the singular focus and is now its own living breathing community. I'm stunned at this. We're nine years old today. Nine. What were you doing nine years ago? So much has changed, so much has stayed the same. I was sitting in the dark fussing with html getting ready for the official opening nine years ago. But I was in Indiana and working as an architect. Now I'm a senior artist for Sony and working on my fourth MMO living in Texas. But I'm still sitting here fussing with html again. What about you? What's the same and what's different from 9 years ago?

Replies

• The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    happy bday polycount i love you so much!
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huzzah! Happy birthday, Polycount! The only thing that's changed about me is the fact that I'm no longer 9 years old. wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    AWESOME. Definitely a happy birthday - 9 years is amazing!

Here's the big black & green!

9 years ago I was just entering highschool (grade 9) and hadn't thought much about game art back then - that came at about grade 11. phew
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Happy Birthday Polycount!!!! YaY!! Happy Black and Green Day!!

Wow, 9 years ago........I was in middle school just getting into the Pokemon craze and at the time I didn't even know people made video games(I thought they just appeared in the stores from nowhere, just like movies). At the time I wanted to be a Marine Biologist.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Wow, 9 years? Well wahoo polycount! :]

Nine years ago I was just learning to drive, a year from graduating HS, programming in my spare time, and still unsure as to what I really wanted to do (just knew it had to be with games).

Nine years and a few colleges later (eek), I'm working hard, months away from graduation, and looking ahead to my career in game art. I'm just happy to be nearly done with school. Being a professional student by choice has been...very expensive! :]
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's crazyness! It is really a testament to the community it's been alive and well this long, not many can claim that. (Also a testament to the great job it's founders have done!)

Nine years ago... my memory doesn't go back that far. I was probably sitting around doing nothing important. Playing starcraft maybe? Watching discovery channel specials on special effects and wondering how in the hell people did that crazy 3d shit?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yay for nine!

lesse, 9 years ago.. 1998? Playing starcraft, made a 3d model of samus out of primitives.. got introduced to lightwave and made this just before it turned to 1999. lol
    Old_madcat.jpg

(nice to see I haven't gotten better in 9 years eh?) :P crazy.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    yay! happy b-day polycount!!

I can't recall anything about 98 other than I was in grade 11 at the time and that I made a really basic animation for a school project using 3d studio (dos edition) that year
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I was 13 years old back then... happy birthday Polycount!
    Big thanks to R13, bearkub, Vito, gauss and everyone who's participated to keep this community alive and kicking.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sunrise! sunset! sunrise! sunset!.....

nine years? really?
    how come i didn't know this place exis.... oh wait, i was a 5 year old evil mastermind wit no interest at arts at that time.
    seriously though, this community has helped me more wit 2.5 pimps and 1 compo entry than the 3 others im a part of who taught me 'nothing' with over 8 WIPs.
    i lub u polycount!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    haha I was 10, hyper active and irritating.
    Now, my hyper state has settled tongue.gif
    Must be 7 years now I've been polycounted, really doesn't feel that long at all.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Happy birthday Polycount ! 9 years, that's just huge...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    *NINE* yeas? Nein! Nein! Das ist nicht möglich!

At 21 I was a long haired semi goth just getting into game modification with Quake 2 skins, losing interest in my computer science degree.

I was an internet grammar Nazi back them too, seething with bitterness and rage about the online murder of the English language.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Happy b-day to the big ol' green and black!

I seriously would not have my job in the game industry now if it weren't for this forum, much less a huge group of great friends, many of whom I've had the good fortune to meet in person on occasion.

Nine years ago... I was halfways through high school, and a year into working on the Barracuda (ten years on that sucker now) still thinking "it'll be done this summer!" laugh.gif

A *BIG* thank you to R13, Vito, kub, etc etc etc... all our mods and those of you who've kept this site up and running over the years! smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delicious flat chested loli polycount!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've only recently joined but still, Happy birthday!! I hope I will also get to celebrate it's 18th in nine years:)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i Owe a lot to this place, and i mean a whole lot, my life`s future is built in Cg art, and polycount helped me 90% of the time. Thank you guys.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Happy Birthday Polycount.
    Nine years , cool.
    Nine years ago ... ooo.gif I've married and I've never thought that after it will be my wife cool.gif whose buy Playstation 1 and I will play video games like "SILENT HILL or RESIDENT EVIL". shocked.gif
    My life has changed.
    But it was with UT 2004 that I've started to be interesting about 3D and I've found POLYCOUNT.
    Since that time the modelling is my hobby by nights after my work when my wife and my son are sleeping. tongue.gifwink.gif

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, didn't know thi place was so ol......experienced. Happy birthday PC:)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    9 years? Holy shit. back then I was 12 and making my first Duke Nukem 3D maps!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    9 years ago i was 8 :P i wasn't even alowed to be on the computer other than an educational game (the A-files, a game to learn english, my father is english teacher) from time to time. I did draw a lot back then already. :P
    happy birthday polycount!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    A little over year ago, before I joined Polycount, I was almost unbelievably incompetent as an artist. I don't even think 9 years back is worth mentioning.

Congrats for keeping the site up this long, and thanks. Without I'd probably still be ignoring Cgtalk critiques.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    oh yah , i was 10, playing doom 2 , Tyrian, and Z. meh.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Happy B-Day Polycount! and a special thanks to r13, bearkub and the polycount veterans for all of thier hard work and contributions that make this community what it is!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Happy Birthday Polycount and mad props to the whole community, particularly you fellows who keep this assylum running.

More than what I was up to 9 years ago (nothing or particular note), I wonder where the industry would be today if it weren't for these 9 years of hard work. I doubt that theres a studio today that hasn't got at least one Polycount trained artist on its art team.

Congratulations guys. You'd better start preparing now for the big one next year.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm...well 9 yrs ago I was in art school studying CG Animation as a major and visiting Q2pmp back when it started. I wanted to get into the game industry...mission accomplished. I've now got 12 published titles under my belt and working on my 13th. Guess I will be a lifer. Thank you for all the hard work and headaches I know you've suffered thru that have passed in these 9 years. I hope this community never dies. Rogue no sleep. Kub no sleep.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    9 years eh? Pretty much around since games went entirely into 3d. Makes sense I suppose.

9 years ago I was 11, I played a great deal of Marathon being as I only had a mac powerpc at the time.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happy birthday polycount!

9 years ago I had just moved to Dallas (18yrs old). I was talking with Juan (martinez) about coming up to visit the Art Institute.

I wouldn't discover polycount for another year.

Then it would be almost another half year before we did our first, real contribution:

trigun-vash.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I was in college, bored to death.

Probably around that time that i created my first levels for duke nukem 3d and a bunch of stupid mods for it.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've only been posting on the board since the recent Dom War came up. But i've been watching for a long long time, never thinking I could ever be involved with game development.

9 years ago I was 16. I had been playing Quake since it's release playing the ORIGINAL QW Teamfortress, and by this time I was in QW Teamfortress clan EQ (EarthQuakers - first clan in the world, ever.) Several EQ members eventually went on to form SplashDamage who would end up making RTCW:ET, including my clanleader/friend Locki who is the MD. He's been a huge inspiration for me for many many years.

9 years later and £8000 poorer, I'm fully trained in Maya for game development, and hopefully one day I'll get to join some old friends again and work on the game I loved for so many years.... the reason I'm a gamer : QUAKE laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe duke 3d levels and crappy quake levels.. I used to make them full of traps and challenge my friends to complete them. they were practically impossible (sometimes literally impossible)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I've been here since the Q2pmp days. I'm old school. wink.gif

9 years... Wow.. I was 18 and just starting college, in my first or second semester when I first visited (also playing Pokemon). I was 'undeclared' in my major at the time, and it would be another 2 years before saying 'art' was my major. Then another 4 years before graduating with a BA in art. Two years later I am back in school getting my Master's degree (and STILL playing Pokemon!) and hoping in another two years I'll be in the industry in some capacity.
    smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    happy birthday Polycount! Wow, 9 years ago, I actually had hair back then. lol

Thanks everyone for helping me improve as an artist, we definitely have an awesome community!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    home sweet home
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I was just meeting my wife in college. Not long after that Quake 3 Arena released and I fell in love with 3d ppms and Polycount! Thanks for being the place that pushed me into a career in 3d artwork! I'm only sorry I haven't been more of a presence here. I think back then my screen name was TserroF. Pretty original for a guy named Forrest! Hehe!

Happy B-day! Here is to 9 more!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    happy b-day polycount!!! good to see the black and green ship is still doing so well after that long laugh.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Happy Birthday Polycount!

9 years ago... I didn't have any real intention to get into the games industry though it was when I had my first experience in a 3D package (Macromedia Extreme 3D Pro 2).
    Used to make Duke 3D maps though and websites and used to be an IT nerd fixing computers at my high school as a junior technician... NERD!

-caseyjones
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yeah, happy birthday Polycount!

I was 22 when Q2PMP started up, and was posting here almost from the very beginning. The first thing I came here for were Jeff Garstecki's Waste and Fuel models, and Dan Bickell's incredible transforming Valkyries for Quake2. Oh man, and I learned ton from Brian Collins's models, I tore all of his .md2's apart to learn how to build things. I was still about two years away from finishing my first degre, and still under the assumption that I would work in the game industry for a living - I think I spent more time in 1998 doing game art than school work laugh.gif

My antique PMP hawtness from 1998!
    oldskool.jpg
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    Happy birthday to the great black and green!!

I miss you. *sniff

Thanxabunch!!
    -SK =^oo^=
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha my earliest experience of polycount was just skins... I was 14 and didnt even know that polycount was all about forums and community ...I thought it was all about quake 3 skins back then! I only joined now that Im getting into 3D work myself.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    9 years ago I was hanging out in Efnet #3dsmax and #model_design. There was only like 6 people in the channel back then R13.

You remember the first e3 we met? I walked up to you and said "you probably hate me, but I'm Epsilon". I remember having my WIP protoss model slammed by you in the forums so I thought you hated me. Didn't occur to me that it was because I was slamming poor Tanner Owen for his protoss submission.

I remember the dinner we had at e3 with hunter and Kub, and they brought me that cheese steak thingie with no meat. I still have pictures from that night.

From the good old days of q2pmp to the big green machine. oh my god, It's been so long and we're all still here. Congrats R, I'm glad it's still around.

• stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    hahaha i was 13!! im pretty sure i had just gotten my first comp. installed halflife and starcraft, and was hooked! I only took up 3d 2 years ago. and here I am today. Loving polycount and modeling characters for a living =)
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I was doing some really really wacky quake stuff XD
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ohhh how cool.. happy 9.th smile.gif

9 years ago.. hmm.. i think i was making stupid but fun hl-dm maps *g*
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I was drunk at r13's place 9 years ago.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the greatest community I know.

Wow 9 years ago, I was 14, I think that's when I got my copy of Unreal and started building crappy levels with Vanilla Ice's pictures textured on the walls to gain lols from my friends.
    Shortly after I saw some awesome meshes and skins on polycount and realized people were being for serious about game modding.
    And now I'm about to start my first job in the industry, and I really owe it all to Polycount and the people that are part of it.
    Green and Black forever!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    more like, happy birthday pokeycount!
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    A day late but happy b-day to the big old green and black space station of love!