Home General Discussion

new television

new_tv.jpg

65 inch DLP Mitsubishi WD-65731

My old rear projection HD set started getting some screen burn and was having flickering problems. Felt it was time to move on.

Just set it up late last night. HD cable looks great on it. 360 looks great too. As you can see, DOAX2 is going to break it in very nicely.

Will have to break down and get some kind of HD format disk player to fully take advantage of the 1080p. Just not excited about paying 25 - 30 bucks a disk. I'll probably only buy action movies in that format.

Gotta work on getting a proper table for it to sit on. Eventually gotta get a sound system too since I'm using my roommate's system right now.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not much actually.

2200 at Fry's. I've been watching this model of television for just under a year now. Been waiting to see if hardware flaws would surface like the Sony SXRD televisions, but they haven't.

Reviews have almost all been excellent with the 731 series and up. (previous models were utter crap, but Mit turned it around with the 731)
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is much better than hawkens thread. smile.gif hahaha.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I sold these things for awhile...definitely good televisions
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome set! Looks freaking nice. Is that a Super Scope I see in the background? sweeet!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new_tv2.jpg

Cybroxide: Yeah, that's a superscope back there. I cropped out all the old stuff I have set up in front of our useless fireplace (I live in texas you see...).

swampbug: For the boobies, yeah, but he got himself a pretty badass television. Though, it wasn't what I was looking for when it came to the cost / size equation that I have in my head. Wish I was able to afford a big Bravia though.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I am sooooo buying that game now... much sexier than having Master Chief on my 76" setup...
    projector.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah! boobs always help when you're showing anything to anyone.

How's the projector working for you? I was looking into that tech as well. Wasn't sure if it's what I want for my living room, but I would love to have one for late night cook outs in my backyard.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'm more impressed with your jim lee posters
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    this is tempting me, 32" LCD TV - $649.99
    24-234-001-01.JPG

My brother-in-law had one this weekend and 360 looks so nice on it laugh.gif compared to my 20" TV. heh
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skanker.. it's working out awesome! smile.gif
    Can't wait for the weather to get just a bit warmer at night so I can take to the the starbucks my friends and I chill at on weekends to watch some movies on the side of the building.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I tried the projector for a while... got one free from work's trash. I made my own screen, which gave me a 95" wide screen (don't know the diag measurement). I liked it, but it got washed out easily by other light sources. It didn't work out very well for my living room since I have a huge front window.

It died on me just a few weeks before christmas, so I chose to buy my 46" Sharp Aquos. It's hard to downsize, but the image quality is much better.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    I tried the projector for a while... got one free from work's trash. I made my own screen, which gave me a 95" wide screen (don't know the diag measurement). I liked it, but it got washed out easily by other light sources. It didn't work out very well for my living room since I have a huge front window.

It died on me just a few weeks before christmas, so I chose to buy my 46" Sharp Aquos. It's hard to downsize, but the image quality is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah, old outdated business class presentation projectors, especially with ambient light, give horrible image quality. generally they may have ok contrast ratios of 2,000:1 or 3,000:1, but since they are made for presentations if you actually calibrate business class projectors to be made video you usually get a contrast ratio of 600-800:1... which is really washed out colors. not to mention that business class dlp's generally have a 2x colors wheel, which means rbe for most.
    i, personally, am waiting for the led dlp projectors to get better, that would be my dream projector... they just have a very low lumen output currently. however since they use led's they are very low in heat, meaning very quite fans, and they don't need a lamp replacement. it might be a while, but i can dream.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a 3M MP8745, which was a pretty nice unit, but as you state, it's only got a 200:1 contrast ratio. http://www.projectorcentral.com/3M-MP8745.htm
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Holy fuck that is a big screen. I picked up the 37" Sharp Aquos on sale at boxing day. 720p native and looks fucking ace, we have bravias at work and they are kind of ass compared to the aquous, also more exspensive you are definately paying for the name brand as they are like twice as much. Still haven't found a tv stand low enough for it to sit under the fucking molding, and yes fireplaces are shit they always seem to put them right where you want the tv? Who designs townhomes the Omish?
    imhdbitches_02.jpg
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Hey malcom , how much was that baby? im on the hunt for a new t.v also.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1499 Canadian at Futureshop. May have dropped in price by now. I researched this shit for a long time too and Aqous seemed the best for games, if you're looking at LCD tv's for games make sure you buy 37" or above. The smaller sets generally have lower responce times which means ghosting in games. Even though the 34" aqous has the exact same specs as the 37" it is very inferior, bad ghosting and poor calibration features. For LCD sets it appears the bigger set you buy the better quality image you get which is the opposite of what I'm used to on CRT. Also if you really want to stress test your ghosting load a 360 game that you know runs at a solid 60fps, gears of war isn't a good test because their frame rate never gets past 30. Another point to be aware of is the 720p vs 1080p, first make sure the tv set is native 720p or native 1080p. I think ps3 is mandatory that you have to ship your game at 1080p but 360 is not so if you buy a native 1080p tv and your 360 game is only 720p it means the game will be upscaled to 1080i and look like ass. Also the games coming out now will try and trick you, microsoft released a firmware update which allows the 360 to do full 1080p just like the ps3, but developers can upscale to 1080p and are still allowed to list 1080p on the back of the box even though it's upscaled 1080i fucking rip off. For example, Lost Planet says 1080p on the back but it's a lie, it's just upscaled. NBA Street Homecourt as far as I know is the first game to hit the market that is actually true 1080p on xbox360. It's up to the developers whether they want to rip the consumer off or not, microsoft does not seem to police this issue.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the tips smile.gif
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    1499 Canadian at Futureshop. May have dropped in price by now. I researched this shit for a long time too and Aqous seemed the best for games, if you're looking at LCD tv's for games make sure you buy 37" or above. The smaller sets generally have lower responce times which means ghosting in games. Even though the 34" aqous has the exact same specs as the 37" it is very inferior, bad ghosting and poor calibration features. For LCD sets it appears the bigger set you buy the better quality image you get which is the opposite of what I'm used to on CRT.

[/ QUOTE ]
    actually, no, the larger you go with lcd's the worse its contrast ratio and other general image quality items are(except for res). the smaller you go the better contrast you will have, this has to do with how lcd's work (which i can go itno more depth if you want to learn). and ghosting has nothing to do with the size, it depends on how they manufacture the screens. just be aware of the response time spec when buying the tv.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, that's not what I found at all when researching my tv. All the tv's I looked at on the internet with the smaller size had a slower responce time and the contrast ratio was always worse on the smaller sets. I also bought the 34" aqous and then bought the 37" aqous and returned the 34" because of inferious responce time and inferior calibration features, for example the brightness contrast menu would max out very quick on the 34" but on the 37" there was a much wider range, also the menus were completely different between the two sets the 34" had like a poor man's version of the front end which was weird because on their stats page they are listed as exactly the same except screen size which is false as I had them in my house at the same time swapping games and consoles between them to see which one was better.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman, I regularly watch my projector with the lights on... no washout that I've noticed.
    This is the one I got from woot.com:
    http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/...e=&tab=desc
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    1499 Canadian at Futureshop. May have dropped in price by now. I researched this shit for a long time too and Aqous seemed the best for games, if you're looking at LCD tv's for games make sure you buy 37" or above. The smaller sets generally have lower responce times which means ghosting in games. Even though the 34" aqous has the exact same specs as the 37" it is very inferior, bad ghosting and poor calibration features. For LCD sets it appears the bigger set you buy the better quality image you get which is the opposite of what I'm used to on CRT.

[/ QUOTE ]
    actually, no, the larger you go with lcd's the worse its contrast ratio and other general image quality items are(except for res). the smaller you go the better contrast you will have, this has to do with how lcd's work (which i can go itno more depth if you want to learn). and ghosting has nothing to do with the size, it depends on how they manufacture the screens. just be aware of the response time spec when buying the tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the Bravia the contrast ratio is higher on the 40" compared to the 32"
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    notman, I regularly watch my projector with the lights on... no washout that I've noticed.
    This is the one I got from woot.com:
    http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/...e=&tab=desc

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice... mine wasn't HD like yours either. I may revisit the projector system later, but I can't bring myself to paying the price for them when I can get the LCD/Plasmas for the same price. Seemed like a lot of work to get my LCD going as opposed to just hanging my LCD on the wall wink.gif

I do plan on trying to fix my projector again though and setting it up for my kids in the basement. They can't wait to play guitar hero or FF on that screen.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the Bravia the contrast ratio is higher on the 40" compared to the 32"

[/ QUOTE ]
    i know from what you guys are saying. but size has nothing to do with either spec, it just how they manufacture them.
    for example,the KDL-46XBR3
    46" BRAVIA™ XBR® LCD Flat Panel HDTV
    KDL-46XBR3
    has twice as slow response time as my 19" lcd monitor. while sure my monitor is not a tv, it is the exact same technology, the tv's just has different signal interfaces for tvs.
    and to illustrate my second point of contrast ratios, i decided to look around for some info. it seems the cheaper bravias, not really related to size, don't use the "dynamic contrast technology". which really is nothing more than a simple processing system that examines the screen for what is being the displayed at the time, light or dark scenes, and then adjust the lcd backlight brightness accordingly.
    an lcd works by taking already horizontal polarized light and then passing it through cells of liquid crystal. the liquid crystal itself forms a polarizer too, which will in turn block a certain amount of the polarized light. however some light still leaks through. so the most common technique for taking care of this is to either cutdown on the light after its passed through the lcd already (Ex. dynamic iris's, found on front projectors), or even better is to cutdown on the source light before it even becomes polarized, like the bravias. but both have their weaknesses because each technique looks at the scene as a whole and will adjust the light to be less if its a dark scene and adjust it to be more if its a light scene... but if the scene contains both bright and dark content the advantage is lost and full light is let passed.
    so, it is really how they're built and with what features rather than the size.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    We've got a Bravia here at work and it's gorgeous. I actually bought the smaller 32 inch for my bedroom at home. When I have to buy a new tv for downstairs I'm going with the 52 inch Bravia. It was amazing. I've stuck with Sony TVs for 10 years and I'm always really happy with them.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    << Panasonic 42" plasma. My personal opinion? I think LCD TV's suck for the most part. I've never EVER seen one and thought "Oh, that looks nice".
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enjoy your screen burn in. I don't use that dynamic contrast ratio junk it just makes the picture look like crap on games, disabled it immediately.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've stuck with Sony TVs for 10 years and I'm always really happy with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah. In the last decade, I've bought a 20" trinitron, a 36" first-gen WEGA, a 32" third-gen WEGA and a 50" first-gen Grand WEGA SXRD. Everyone has been a kickass display.
  • onehundredfeet
    I love my panasonic 42" plasma. Great colour, and I can still play video games!