Home General Discussion

Replies

• Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it tonight. Definitely an entertaining film, but I don't think I would put it any higher than 7/10. The fun stopped when the fighting did.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    it was good

about a 7 or 8 out of 10.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Cool movie...
    But, damn, who wrote the dialogue? The Ultimate Warrior?
    I loved the slomo jiggle of the queen's tit during the sex scene. Hot damn.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I'm persian and I liked it.

It was pure bullshit in terms of history, but I liked the movie. it was a movie after all.

Btw, Persian are not iraqi, we did own their land for a good long while though. Iraqi's are Arabs, Persian are Persians.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I wanted to like this movie....You pretty much saw the whole thing in the 300 second preview...It had its moments..but for the most part was pretty boring..and the makeup on the hunchback was terrible....best part of the movie was the boobies..the queen and the oracle had some arrowhead eyepokers
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thought it was great. Completely took it for its artistic value than anything. The action and scenery were top notch.

I've seen now, in the past 6 months, more GREAT movies in a row then I have at any other point since paying attention to movies.

Children of Men, Pan's, 300, Little Miss Sunshine, The Prestige...

*woot*
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm persian and I liked it.

It was pure bullshit in terms of history, but I liked the movie. it was a movie after all.

Btw, Persian are not iraqi, we did own their land for a good long while though. Iraqi's are Arabs, Persian are Persians.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I looked on my map here and I just can't find Persia anywhere! Are you Persians hiding it from us? tongue.gif

I actually liked this movie less than I thought I was going to. I had been totally geeked on this film since the first trailer, which was about the most badass two minutes of film I have ever seen. The full film, though... too much slow stuff and things I didn't really get in to. The entire "meanwhile, back in Sparta" subplot could have been cut out and I'd have missed nothing. Also, I think things that work in comics are sometimes too simplistic to translate well in film. When the queen stabbed Theron and all of that Persian gold spilled out... dude is smart enough to control the council, but dumb enough to walk around with a sack of Xerxes' blood money on him? The visual worked well in the graphic novel, but in the movie, it just made the guy look like an idiot.

In terms of the good bits, they were every bit as good as advertised. Rarely has cinematic asskicking been that well done, and I think Gerard Butler rocked the house. This movie has to hold the record for full monty decapitation and dismemberment - god bless digital effects laugh.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    verm - I thought that too, about the money, until I realized the dude just had his wallet on him, sparta-style.

when the council picked it up, I thought they all started yelling "treasure" which struck me as particularly amusing.

Best part of movie: hunchie's new uniform, displayed proudly
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Best part of movie: hunchie's new uniform, displayed proudly

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the helmet was particularly awesome.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Ohh man great movie.. One of my favorite things was Xerges. That 9 foot tall, sexually Androgynous Lucifer type guy with the hypnotic voice.. POhh man that kicked ass.

Battle was great, the usage of the shields was utterly badass. Probably my favorite part of the battle. A real tool those shields!

I love how the women were portrayed, very motherly and beautiful. but also strong. Somehow that felt right... REALLY Right!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cool movie...
    But, damn, who wrote the dialogue? The Ultimate Warrior?
    I loved the slomo jiggle of the queen's tit during the sex scene. Hot damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, that was the first scene I talked to my girl about after the movie ended.
    Me: man...how about that tit ripple during that sex scene?!
    Her: out of the entire movie, that's the first thing you mention?

doh.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ..and the makeup on the hunchback was terrible....best part of the movie was the boobies..

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I was a little disappointed with the Hunchback. Cleary the makeup/prosthetics elements were far too dry and it immediately bugged me. I'm a big fan of movie monsters and I didnt have the same complaints about the demonic warriors. Ah well still a fun film if not quite as good as the Dawn of the Dea remake (same director).

wink.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it, saw it friday with everyone at work. I brought with me ebagg, my fiance, and her friend. We all loved it. The lady's loved it because the ripped guys,and the look of the film. Me i put it up there with 5th element in movies that i can watch every other day of the week and still love it every time.
    I loved the way the blood was done, if it would have been realistic then it would have gory, but instead it was very artistic and added to the power of the battle.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I just saw this movie and i have to say it was incredibly entertaining, and now i want to see it in imax.

[ QUOTE ]
    verm - when the council picked it up, I thought they all started yelling "treasure" which struck me as particularly amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    To me it sounded like they were yelling traitor, you know they saw xerxes' head on the money and realized he had been bribed and stuff.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

when the council picked it up, I thought they all started yelling "treasure" which struck me as particularly amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one. My friend heard the same thing and yelled out "X marks the spot!" The rest of us had no idea what he was talking about until he explained himself after the film. laugh.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Loved it but it did have its flaws

1. Call me a silly history nut but i thought it was rather odd that Leonida mentioned the importance of the Phalanx formation but barely v\used it in the movie. I know it was supposed to be historical but that was the key for them winning in battle.

2. Some of the overacting was a tad over the top

aside from that i liked it alot.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    *Spoiler Alert*
    and the father son bit with the kid getting killed was simply the worst moment in the film. It was so anticlimactic! And where did the guy on the horse go? He rode by, chopped the stupid kid's head off, and then disappeared even though he was riding directly towards the rest of the Spartans. . .
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Ver: Persia is now Iran, Renamed in the 1900's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_naming_dispute
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    JO420 - the very first engagement showcased the phalanx strategy put to good use, which seemed rather key to winning that battle.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ya, but that was pretty much the only time. And the fact that he shot down the hunchback simply due to his lack of phalanxery, and then never used it showed what a prick he was :P
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    JO420 - the very first engagement showcased the phalanx strategy put to good use, which seemed rather key to winning that battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but to sustain their numbers and kill alot of persians they have to stay and fight in that formation you break the phalanx and their numbers will swallow you up.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clearly, they should have stayed in phalanx formation during the battles. That's how the real Spartan warriors defeated the mutant giants and colossal rhinoceros cavalry that were part of the Persian army; Spartans breaking formation, that's just Hollywood screwing things up again.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    You the man, TGZ!

I loved it, just a flawless movie. I particularly loved the scene where the two spartans were working as a pair and sliced through a few dozen Persians. I can't wait to see what Frank Miller Graphic Novel gets adapted to movies next.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well if your going to stray that far off then why even call them Spartans,why base it in Greece and why even call it the battle of Thermopylae?

Spoiler: Why even have that sequence withe Lenodias telling hunchy that he couldnt fight because he couldnt fight in a phalanx formation.

I can understand changing some of the facts and dramatizing it a little but if your going to have a scene which places emphasis on the formation then at least try to show that. They did at first but after that is was a normal pitched battle and vs the sheer numbers they showed in the film they would have been wiped. Hell thats why they chose the location in the movie to take advantage of the Phalanx formation.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i want to do sit ups after watching that movie. like 8000 of them a day.

Thought the movie was ()#$*)(#$*)#*)( fucking awesome. My favorite bits were that they made the blood ink bloobs. Don't give a shit how fake it looked, it looked *cool* as shit.

That ending credits sequence was fantastic too.

really great and powerful images in that film, definitely one to see.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't look at it that way. This isn't a movie about the Battle of Thermopylae, it's a movie about Frank Miller's comic book 300. You *could* slap other names in there and have a good story - it's simply that Miller left the original inspiration intact for the comic he wanted to write.

To take a more nostalgic point of view, I think Leonidas' lines sum it up: the details aren't so important, if only people remember that few stood against many. What they did is far more important than how they did it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I just got back from seeing this one.
    Fantastic flick. Definate addition to the DVD collection once its released.
    I did not really enjoy Sin City as a movie, although visually it was spectacular, I enjoyed 300 across the board. Very entertaining.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    "Iran condemns Hollywood war epic" I was waiting for this to happen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6446183.stm

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    This flick got me back into my lifting groove--it hurts so gooood!

I want a red cape and helmet. Oh, I'm going to see it again this weekend! Fucking metal.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Iran condemns Hollywood war epic" I was waiting for this to happen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6446183.stm

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever. iran wishes they had HALF the culture of the badass persians in that movie.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That movie was testosterone incarnate... Holy fuck.

Edit: But seriously, way to capitalize on such a fucking ideal and awesome IP with a rushed, hack job PSP game. There was *so* much potential to be had, and I can only dream it gets what it deserves on the PC, 360, or PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. I worked on that PSP title for a month. Um.. All Ican say is that I can add another shipped title to my resume', but... yeah.

The movie on the otherhand... I got to see a sneak of it last April amd it was good them, but the current incarnation is so smooth and well editied and executed. Oddly enough a Classic Hoistorian i thought would not like it.. liked it.
    http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson101106.html

Scott
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't wait to see what Frank Miller Graphic Novel gets adapted to movies next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard Boiled??
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sin City was great, but I think this is better!
  • sonic
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    just saw it. our theater also had a digital showing of it where they were using a sweet ass 3 chip dlp projector. so the image was freaking great. as for the movie, it lived up the its hype, nice boob jiggling, limb chopping, decapitation action. the plot wasn't bad (what little there was), and the music was nice too. all together a very watch worthy movie.

edit: fixed typo.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Loved it, absolutely amazing. The portrayal of Xerxes was so over the top delicious.

poop.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

didn't anyone else think the battle sequences were totally unbelievable eye-candy? I mean all the persians had to do was DUCK! or use their shields!

[/ QUOTE ]

watched a thing on one of those history channels about the real battle and while glorrified a lot it was fairly accurate in the fact that a small amount of spartans witht eh help of a couple thousans poorly trained soldiers held off huge ammounts of persians. pretty much the first fight with the phalynx is how the battle went till the persians got around behind them.

about using their shields.. persians shields were wicker made to deflect sword slashes, they had pretty much 0 effect against spartan spears

they also talked about the immortals which were real,, faces were wrapped entirely in black cloth, tho i doubt they had fangs.

and about it sounding like milatary propaganda. i'm sure those same speaches have been given during every war ever raged. i don't know why people feel the need to link it with current events, the governments of the world have always hyped and glorified their goals
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hah, I watched that too Rhino, completely stumbled across it by chance.
    Some of the stuff in there about how Spartan warriors exceptionally tough training began at the age of 7 was amazing. Apparently small or in any way imperfect babies in Spartan times were just left out on some pile somewhere to die, and perhaps this is mentioned in the movie I'm not sure, but soldiers were chosen to make up the 300 only if they had already fathered a child, to continue bloodlines. Smacked a little of Nazi master race stuff to me. Fascinating stuff this history malarke.

Still have yet to catch the movie tho'!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daz the beginning of the movie where they explain the childrens training they show the no-good baby pit...

Doesn't the story of Babel have something similar as well?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    In God of War they mention chucking away imperfect babies. Obviously not the greatest source for factual information on the subject, but worth noting it is mentioned there too.

Yet to see the movie, comes out on the 22nd in the UK and I get back there on the 27th. So should be able to get in by then smile.gif
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Saw this last night, and oh my god was this movie amazing. I liked everything about this movie, but what stood out to me the most was the absolutely incredible fight choreography. I've never seen fighting look so good, and so credible.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    They used the phalanx only once? No....

*slight spoilers*

They used the phalanx plenty of times:
    -the opening battle
    -the persian cavalry charge
    -Taking down the elephants
    -modified circular formation for the end scene perhaps?

Seems like it only works well as a defensive formation, wouldn't it be kinda hard to maintain that while charging?

And I agree on the son dying as the weakest scene, very anti climactic and then they don't show what the hell happens to the horseman....
  • ebagg
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=22520

LOL!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAH!
    "This is DELICIOUS!"
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    haha brilliant!!
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "This is DELICIOUS!"

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS CAKE TOWN!!!!!!!!
  • Savage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it today, loved it!

On the bad side though, some amazingly good parents brought what looked like their 3 year old daughter to it who proceeded to cry at every battle scene.

They left 5 mins befor the movie ended for whatever reason...I left at the same time. Got the guy in the corner and then called him on being a wonderful father and a great role model with amazing maturity for family events.

I then got free passes to the next movie I want to go see.

smile.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    T&A Does not a movie make. It was a far better graphic novel, I had no emotional connection or sense of awe in the film at all. Some scenes were entirely too short, while others lagged on forever.

Great sound, Great FX, Great Costume and everything. But it did'nt move me at any point.

Then again, I had watched Gladiator a few nights before, I may have been biased. My girlfriend shared the same opinion, when normally we have the opposite.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    T&A Does not a movie make. It was a far better graphic novel, I had no emotional connection or sense of awe in the film at all. Some scenes were entirely too short, while others lagged on forever.

Great sound, Great FX, Great Costume and everything. But it did'nt move me at any point.

Then again, I had watched Gladiator a few nights before, I may have been biased. My girlfriend shared the same opinion, when normally we have the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are turning into your girlfriend. crazy.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i was suprised, mostly cause i didnt like it, not really at all. the art direction was good sometimes, and there were some nice shots, but i was completley board throughout most of the movie. not to mention there was not one part i liked that was not in the trailer.

slow motion stuff was cool,
    in the trailer..
    or the first 10 times, but really if its just to make 5 mins of footage last 2 hours it gets really old and dosent add much.

hated the whole BS queen sub plot that was seemingly added to attract female viewers, a complete bastardization of the orginal work imho.
    the dialog was really horribly executed, almost comical at times and the constant screaming for no reason was dumb.
    also the soundtrack was hidious, felt like they totally just ripped that gutair riff they play in the marines commercials.

i give props to some of the choreography, some of the art direction, but i feel like i wasted my time and this was all hype.. i felt ripped off..

if you liked it thats cool, but i found absolutly nothing redeeming about 300,going to have to go with rockstar and give it a big cocks down.