Home General Discussion

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    i hate u, luckily i'm going out to the movies with my girlfriend tomorrow and its her choice.

wild hogs.

yup.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I actually got time off to go see the movie in all of its glory on an IMAX Screen! Kicking Rad! In the morning of course...
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    That movie was testosterone incarnate... Holy fuck.

Edit: But seriously, way to capitalize on such a fucking ideal and awesome IP with a rushed, hack job PSP game. There was *so* much potential to be had, and I can only dream it gets what it deserves on the PC, 360, or PS3.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    If you need some inspiration for your dominance war entries...go watch this monstrosity of muscular manly men. Badass film!
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    OMG, that movie was gorgeous and brutal. I want to see it again on the IMAX. Loved every minute of it.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing movie, simply amazing.

If this isn't the greatest action flick this year, I don't know what is.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    well we'll have to wait probably at least another month to see it.......why they don't have simultaneous release dates is fuken beyond me.....yet they still cant figure out why movie piracy is soo rampant....
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I hear Professor Snape kills Dumbledore in this one!
    err....yeah :]

Leaving in a half hour, Dave and Busters, then 300!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    We have a company wide viewing this afternoon ... stoked.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Same. Company is shipping out now to go see it. Woot!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Err... 300 is a really big number! Yeah!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Haha Verm.. coffee, then post. Coffee, then post. Wrong thread my friend wink.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, how the fuck did THAT happen? One moment, while I relocate laugh.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    WE've got a company viewing tonight too, looking forward to it!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    shocked.gifconfused.gifooo.gif Thats all I have to say...it was...Epic.
  • cholden
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Myself and a few of the guys from the studio went to go check it out at lunch time and I have to say I'm freaking floored! A Film like this is what HD & Blueray was made for. Just go see it!

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Great film. Though, I wasn't shocked by anything. I was pretty much expecting to see what I saw (if that makes sense). Granted...what I saw was amazing. A must see in the theater.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus... I'm not sure you were supposed to be shocked at anything?

Awesome, awesome movie. it made me immediately want to eat meat and hit things. rararar
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    get up on it!
    http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! That's some manly shit right there.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Best. Movie. EVAR.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    I want to be a Spartan smile.gif

It's been a while since i've left a theater feeling satisfied, every frame was beautiful.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    bah, it was good. but I wouldn't say it's "Best Movie Evar"

and it definitely needed more blood & boobs
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and it definitely needed more blood & boobs

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...no movie ever has enough blood and boobs. (Note that those two things should never go together like that. If you didn't already know that though, now would be a good time to hang yourself.)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    maybe i'm the only person out there who didn't like it... this shouldn't have been a movie, it should have been a short, should have been a music video or something. I liked the oracle chick though... those nipples were the size of bottle caps! smile.gif

that said i felt like it was part 2 of the military propaganda bullshit that played for like 20 minutes right before the movie, like seriously you can take out clips out of that movie and make an add for the marines. Yeah lets go fight for freedom... every time they said shit like that it made me cringe "ask yourself what would a free man do?" yeah keeel dem iraqis!!!! KEEL EM DEAD!!! free men of the united states of greece fighting the hordes of evil slaves who serve some dictator from the middle east ... fucking christ stfu and do more action shots... it should have been just an action short, as a movie it was a total waste. on top of that... 300 vs 1mil should have at least looked fucking desperate, instead it looked like 50 ripped dudes with no shirts on having a good old time, and then all of a sudden they died cuz there wasn't anything else left in the script. and that angry dad was just really clumsy and goofy as hell.
    This movie's like a next gen video game, it looks sweet but thats all there is to it, there's no substance, no connection, its just boring.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    I loved every fucking minute of that movie it was flawless !

Rawkstar: My personal opinion about your opinion is that you put to much realistic expectation into a movie that is based on historical fact . That's how it plays out in the comic book the movie is based on . If mel gibson made the film ala Braveheart style then it would fit more into your ideal of the film I think . Just keep in mind its a movie based on a comic book which takes a story from history and adds fantasy elements and maybe you will enjoy it more ? I really do think you are the only person who has that opnion btw every one who came out of the theatre I was in and the group I went with thought it was fantastic .
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was entertained.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    had a lot of fun, the directing felt like art to me. I was completely happy
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    A beautifully gory and powerful film. 300 is pure satisfaction. I want to kill stuff now.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it tonight with some friends, was floored by it. Loved every second.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Did a damn good job at what I expected it to do and not much else with plot/story; which is ok. I knew going into it that the only way I would enjoy it is if I lost any sort of connection with the real story/old 300 spartans movie. It kicked alot of ass but, way tooOOoo Muuuchhh Slooowww Mooooo...tion. It was nice some times when they would play with sudden bursts of speed but alot of scenes were just dragged out. There are other buttons in finalcut kids.

Definately got that "I want to kill something now" feeling.

Im also kind of disappointed the dude with blades for arms didnt get to fight.. You'll get your day fatty dont worry.

Good stuff
    smile.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    i just saw it tonight and i thought it was an 8. Loved the visuals and awesome action and the chicks were totally hot (huge nipples), but I have to agree with rawkstar on that it was pretty empty. It did not pull me in

I have the strong urge to hit the gym though smile.gif
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Holy dick shitting butt fuck. I seriously want to spear something. The most manly action movie I have ever seen. To those who leave feeling it has a political undertone ... shut up. For serious ... shut up.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If mel gibson made the film ala Braveheart style then it would fit more into your ideal of the film I think

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what? You appear to suggest that Braveheart is a historically accurate depiction of events, ha ha ha!

But anyway, it's cute that people get all upset over the one less than favorable review in here. An opinion was expressed that he didn't like it. Wtf is there to argue about? Weird.

Haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing. My new favorite movie by far. It wasn't corny in the slightest bit and just... wow... awesome...

If I said more I'd spoil it. Greatest movie I've ever seen.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Um, what? You appear to suggest that Braveheart is a historically accurate depiction of events, ha ha ha!

But anyway, it's cute that people get all upset over the one less than favorable review in here. An opinion was expressed that he didn't like it. Wtf is there to argue about? Weird.

Haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brother im not upset at all people can like or dislike as they please in my opinion . Im just trying to get in his head because to me this is an awesome movie I don't get why he hated it . I know braveheart took liberties but it's still a historically somewhat accurate film right ?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    well there's a difference between realistic and believable, braveheart was believable if not realistic, 300 was neither. and i know its based on the comic book, i'm not like a crazy realism junkie i just want it to at least be presented like a plausible event.

I wish they would have done away with alot of the talking and just focused on kickass action, like everything with the wife back in the town was total BS and didn't really add anything to the movie, like her talking infront of the counsel about sending the army for peace freedom and democracy? i mean... come on... and then none of that emotional bs came through at all, like the grief stricken father and shit, like seriously whoever directed that can do cool shots and action so cut the rest cut the shit you can't do that well and do more action.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    It was nice some times when they would play with sudden bursts of speed but alot of scenes were just dragged out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the sudden bursts of speed were awesome. I knew from the previews that we'd get a lot of slow-mo shots, but I was happily surprised at how well they were done. Especially when they used the same technique for the sex scene. Sloowwwww....BAM!...thrust. I found that hilarious. :]
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't seen it yet, but from the reactions in this tread so far, the army should hand out free beer at the beginning and set up a stand for recrutment on the way out tongue.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yeah... I actually thought the beginning was a little slow. I could have done without all the shit back home. Just spear the fuckers!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Brother im not upset at all people can like or dislike as they please in my opinion . I know braveheart took liberties but it's still a historically somewhat accurate film right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I wouldn't rely on Mel Gibson to inform you of anything If I were you.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume the Gibson comparison is more one about realism than historical accuracy. Details aside, Braveheart comes across as a fairly believable depiction of warfare in 13th century Britain. 300, on the other hand, is comic book stylization through and through. I wouldn't count on any Hollywood film to correctly inform me about battles at Stirling Bridge or Thermopylae, but Braveheart has the trappings of authenticity, etc etc.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    must say I'm with rawkstar on this one - even though they had some ass-kicking character designs for the persians. I think I was on the persians' side the whole time! with their awesome costumes. and xerxes was like the coolest evar.

didn't anyone else think the battle sequences were totally unbelievable eye-candy? I mean all the persians had to do was DUCK! or use their shields!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I think the movie would have been an hour shorter if they'd just run everything at normal speed.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    It was fucking cool.

Now, not fucking awesome, or just awesome, but fucking cool non the less.

Pros:
    -Spot on to Miller Style
    -Incredible fantasy costumes
    -Intense battle scenes
    -Well done down played colors
    -CG backgrounds really added to the mythos

Cons:
    -BIG BIG BIG HUGE OMG!.... What in the hell was all the slow mo about? Talk about overuse. It ruined the further potential of the movie. The stepping? of the movie was interupted too much as you had slow mo for say a emotional scene, and then use it to show slaughter up close in the next. It really killed the ability to use slow mo to further refine a plot points ability to shine in a movie.

Sure, it helped to give it more of Franks feel visually. But that was the extent. It could have worked in short bursts during the battles with more "realtime" longer scenes interspliced to help keep the movies action from becoming to surreal.

-The overacting. It wasn't that bad, and I can understand given the source material, but more than once I cringed at the sappiness or "Yo! Joe!" feel. A few people were laughing at these. It just needed to be more subdued to draw the viewer into the characters more.

-Like rawkstar, I couldn't help but think that The Marines or other will suddenly be using stills from 300 in their propaganda. I kept thinking to myself, "did the military fund this?". Yea, I know the source material.. but geez. Maybe if the acting hadn't been pushed so much with its intensity It wouldnt have been so awkward.

Next on my list... TMNT laugh.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    People were clapping at the end of the movie when we watched it. Everyone I know thinks it is amazing.

I really don't understand the complaint about slow motion. Fast motion shit is all you see in many poorly made fight movies (in my opinion) where you see a huge crowd of faceless dolts running at each other then ZOOM IN to some random douche or the hero stabbing someone in the neck with an axe and a ton of blood flies out. By the time you can absorb the idea of what just happened the camera is on a different insignificant person who just randomly swung and hit a fat guy in the chode. Its not cool at all, its just entertaining enough to go "GOOOO WOOAH FUCK MAN DID YOU SEE THAT HAHAHA" until the next guy is killed.

It is totally an artistic and unrealistic movie. NO SHIT! It's about 300 fucking soldiers killing a shit load of rhinoceroses with armor and huge fat guys with blade arms.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    braveheart, historical accuracy... nah, those words dont belong in the same sentence. Funny, the truth of the 'big win over the english battle' in braveheart is closer to the fantastical 300 cinema portrayal of how to deal with superior numbers smile.gif

I loved 300, brilliant bloody fun, going again on monday with the lads at work too. The whole audience was cheering when Macnulty ( from the wire) got what he deserved in the last act, actually i was one of the people shouting heh

As much fun as the marv section of Sincity, as giggle inducingly violent at the braveheart bludgeon noises on the battlefield and as beautiful as gladiators post processed vistas of rome.

Great stuff.. and soon we've got Spiderman3 and HotFuzz , grindhouse and all the many many other fantastic films thats are coming this summer.

This is going to be a fantastic year to be a cinema freak.

r.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sonic, I understand your point, and I agree (to a point). It wasn't the fight scenes alone. Remember, the slow motion was used in Spartan as well such as slow moving grasses and children playing. Example, we come to his wife slowly dipping her hands in water in a peaceful, but trying to convey a emotionally tense scene. Then we cut back to the battlefield with more slow motions.

Then on the battlefield, we see slow motions of them killing the enemy, but then also them dying from the enemy.

It ruined the effect. There was too much contrast between the uses of the slow motion that drew me out of the film as much as I would have liked. I didn't know where the emotional focus was after a time, so it left me more distant from the film than I would have liked.

But hey, its a IMO. smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    85/100. I liked it a bit less than Children of Men and a little more than Pan's Labrynth. I thought the emotional stuff was right on, and that the visuals were really cool (really reminding me of some neo-classical paintings at times).

You know, the Greeks did invent democracy. The Persians did attack the Greeks, and the Greeks did kick their asses. To try to turn it into some modern political thing is just weird.

I feared this movie would be like that shitty Doom movie-- a remake of something I had already seen but with worse everything. Instead I got a really cool action movie that was intense and interesting.