Home General Discussion

ZB3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=42491

May 15th launch, a billion polygons AND a free upgrade?

Watch the video, lots of eye-catching features to be seen. I personally like all the cool ways to re-use 2D assets directly on the model.

Oh and there better be retopo in there, because I don't see myself importing billion poly models into Maya anytime soon...(not that i'd usually even go that high, but still.. tongue.gif )

-edit- yes they do have retopo

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm that new pose system looks pretty snazzy, perspective modelling, layers, cool
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • Rens
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    awesome..I might not have to buy mudbox after all laugh.gif good to see a solid date
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    pretty sweet features !!! too bad the ui is still a mess frown.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, I'm very interested in this...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yup pretty snazzy stuff.. and snowfly yes there are a few options for retopo, i was shown a demo of 2.5, there is a modeling system similar to poly by poly modeling and you can bake a sculpt onto any new model, this one is pretty cool. a possible workflow i was thinking of is exporting a midrange model making my low in a modeling package and then bringing the low model into zbrush with uvs, baking my sculpt to it then rendering out normals. the baking sculpt feature snaps the polies from one mesh to the other, so you can bring in your final low, tris and all and divide it several times and then snap it to your sculpt, looks perfect, just like your original sculpt. or you could model it out with their poly tools, but the are similar to zspheres and i never really liked the way those where manipulated.

i am pretty excited, still dont know if it will replace mudbox for sculpting, but as is i dont do any detailing in mudbox cause i can get more subdivisions out of zbrush, with the added polycounts i can see it being even better at what i already use it for, a detailing and texturing tool.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow, very impressive! Now if they can get the interface to be intuitive as mudbox, I'll use zbrush again.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    crazy shit, the new posing system looks too good to be true
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    really, really awesome. i doubt they've made much changes to their interface unfortunately. i opened zbrush2 a while ago and almost punched my monitor. honestly? i'm thinking its fucking retarded interface is worth fighting for the results and tools zbrush has to offer..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the mudboxx folks must have salty tears in their eyes:0
    looks great to me
    doh just get over the interface, its not that bad. just fight with it for day and it will be cool
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    The transposing seems to be their main new thing, and this must be great for artists creating still imagery, but I don't see too much hot new features that would benefit a production pipeline.
    I didn't get a clear idea if it's possible to re import meshes as layers, the way one can in Mudbox. Probably the most useful feature right now. I'm not too excited, but it's a promising future with Skymatter and Pixologic competing like this. I have a feeling the best is yet to come.....still I'd trade all these new features for a new interface..
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The transposing seems to be their main new thing, and this must be great for artists creating still imagery, but I don't see too much hot new features that would benefit a production pipeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most notable features for me personally aren't really pointed out in the video, these being:

- Multiple editable objects in scenes, good on its own and hopefully indicates a general step away from their stupid '2.5d canvas' model.
    - <u>Perspective viewports</u>. Trying to sculp in that godaweful ortho viewport in ZB2 gives me a headache and is the primary reason I gave up on it entirely and waited for Mudbox.
    - The post mentioned retopologizing... Seriously, ZB2 has the most ass-backwards way of adding loops, actually performing overarching topology changes is just out of the question. Anything that makes the program more able to produce models from scratch is an important step in my book.

In short, I might actually be able to use the damn thing now.

Now if only they'd made a half-decent interface.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    I hope ZB 3 lets you select polygons a little bit like Maya/Max/Lightwave in a way that makes more sense than paint select your selection with quick masks that dont work

yada yada yada
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I was just watching the preview videos with my coworkers, that program is looking jizz-tastic! Can't wait to fiddle with it once my company gets some new versions.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Mud-whatt?! Lol glad to finally see a date, didn't saw a price thou, hope it don't get much different then Zb2 one.

Someone on cgtalk said now everyone will be a great modeler, is just press a bunch of buttons... woot!! can't wait to be one too!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutly stupefied. Pixologic's guys show once more time that they follow always some great idea , cause
    I think that the base of PROJECTION was here , isn't it ?:

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=33715

excelent ! shocked.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Will they ever allow interface skins or the likes? The interface still bugs the crap out of me. If they add the ability to change styles or something similar to a normal windows gui environment i would buy in a heartbeat.

It's impressive, but it's also someone extremely familiar with ZB. Video tape a newb and you would'nt be half as impressed.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    the mudboxx folks must have salty tears in their eyes:0

[/ QUOTE ] as work has zb and it looks to be a free upgrade I'm pretty stoked, but as a mudbox user at home I have to say its not a big kick to me.. most of the features I'm happy about in zb3 are the catch up to mudbox ones smile.gif. The pose system is the main interesting one to me I guess, and maybe that concept-to-model thing, but I wonder how often that will actually be used over regular sculpting
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Video tape a newb in any app and you wouldn't be impressed.

Regardless, everything seen in that vid is just as easy to use as it looks (imo).

The first thing I noticed when I started using it was how much better it responds at higher resolutions with multiple subtools (meshes) in the scene. The file sizes are ridiculously low too.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    couldn't care less about a billion polys streamed from HD whatsoever. these files won't import into another app and i found both Z's and MB's normal/disp map generators to be severly lacking control, so what gives?

if that is a free upgrade, then it is welcome, however wasn't only 2.5 supposed to be free? are they pulling some stunt here or can they really afford to give the work of several years and probably dozens of man-years away to their existing userbase? seems strange to me, is pixologic a charity organisation?

my main gripe with Z is that some functionality is well hidden behind ridiculous terms and an interface that is responsive and easy to use but hard to navigate at times. here's hope that the customization options have been expanded.

also, some sculpting tools feel quite weak compared to that other program, but performance- and reliability-wise it is no match for Z yet, so here i go. smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    it is 2.5, they are just launching it as 3. smile.gif same thoughts as you though where the billion polys are concerned.

haven't ZB upgrades always been free to existing users? when 2 launched pixologic pulled in a lot of new users, i'm sure the same is bound to happen this time round.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't paid since version 1 and if things continue as they have I might not be paying till 4 ships. I guess I could say I've got my money's worth from this software by now. =]