Home Technical Talk

Free skinning programs compatible with Maya?

Im startng to teach myself 3D modeling, texturing and what not. Right now I am using Maya and U-paint (although I did have a spot of trouble getting Maya to work)

Anyways I was just wondering if any one could suggest any good programs that are free, or free trails. Ive already looked at mudbox and blender but havnt used them yet. Any suggestions that are noob friendly?

thank you for your time smile.gif

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im confused sorry. Your post title reads free skinning programs compatible with maya, yet the content seems to ask a different question.
    First off, what on earth do you mean by 'skinning programs compatible with maya'? Skinning? You mean weighting or 3D painting or what? And by compatible with maya do you mean you're looking for a plug-in or a standalone app?
    Not trying to be harsh, just looking for more info. Your post is completely confusing.
  • ArticFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well Im pretty noobish at this so...I dont even know the answers to those qeustions sorry. Im looking for a full program for getting textures onto models
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    So you want a program that can paint directly onto a 3D model right?

The 'maya compatibility' thing is whats confusing here. You say you have maya. Maya has a 3d paint tool which works fine.
    There arent really any free 3D paint tools, but blender might have one for all I know. Wings3D is a good free modeler, but theres no painting on the mesh.

I would think that most people still paint their textures in photoshop as opposed to directly on a 3d model.

It might be easier to explain what youre hoping to achieve at this point since I suspect that some of your terminologies are a bit confused. smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Learn photoshop.
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    If you are looking for something free, you can try Tattoo 3D Texturing Application. It is free for non commercial projects.
    You can download it here:
    http://www.terabit-software.co.uk/
  • ArticFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I apoligize for the confusion as I am at a begineers level. I shall look up the Tatoo program thanks. i really only know what Unreal turtorials and a few online turtorials teach me sorry.
    To ebagg: I am like moderatly proficint with PS

I even choose a baby as an avatar because thats ike my expierence level
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    actually blender does had a 3d painter that's quite easy to use. it's a shining spot of ui that someone got right, seems out of place in the whole app actually laugh.gif

then again, maybe we should help you out with getting your maya to work, shame if you don't use it.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    He's probably using the ple version that comes with unreal tournament, don't know if it has the 3d painting features though.

Bodypaint seems to be a nice solution if you want smooth painting on a 3d model. Modo has 3d painting as well. Nendo has 3d painting and it's not too expensive. There are free trials for each.