Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eureka-remade

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
so, ever looked at some of your old models and thought they could use some fixing? happened to me. So I present the old model from about 3 years ago almost...
Image was changed on site for update. No real comparison anymore

Eureka1Full.jpg

and the new one. I remade the entire model and texture. 2X 512 maps. 4163 tris.

NewEurekaPerp.jpg

NewEurekaFront.jpg
Lighting still needs some work, though. Debating about throwing a normal map on this thing but I don't know. Being as the details are painted on I'm not too sure. Critiques?
And the Wires wires

Replies

• FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
    Is there engine lighting happening in the last two shots? Could you show a full-bright pic so we can better judge the texture?

The highlights on the tops of her clavicles are rather harsh. Detail is good, good wrinkles and highlights on her boots (which are a PVC kind of material.) Taking a source like an anime character and refining it into something with detail such as this is difficult but you've made it work pretty well. I don't know if her face works entirely, though. Her head may be too round/wide? Her eyes and general facial structure don't have many racial details. Eyes probably need to be larger, too.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    With no shadows

NewEurekaIllum.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Face looks kind of masculine. I think maybe the face is too wide and the brow is too...something. Can't find the right word.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'd be a lot better off if you kept the anime eyes from the show.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'll have to look into tooling with the face a bit. Photo-ref is your friend. As for anime eyes, not happening. Throwing some anime eyes into this would quite ruin the look I'm going for.

Although it's from an anime, and I'm a big fan of it, it's not really what I wanted out of this model.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The mouth is very small and the eyebrows are in a weird pose. Almost looks like she's eating something bitter and pursing her lips. Try giving her a more relaxed look, if just to get the proportions right.

The eyes are perhaps just a touch too high and too far back, which coupled with the thin nose and wide face makes her cheeks look massive. Eureka is a frail character, this face is bordering more on the fat side.

The definition on the neck is waaaaay overboard and the neck shouldn't be slanting outwards so much.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Some updates on face. Neck has been drawn in abit as well as texture toned down. Eyes have been lowered and puched out a bit towards front of face. Tried to work on lips as well. Also the head is a bit slimmer now.

Eureka001.jpg

Eureka002.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    whats the deal with the none filtered textures ? i see that on a lot of 3dmax screen shots ?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    oh, when I work on stuff in Maya I dont use the smooting so I can see distortion easier. Just a tactic I tend to use. Should fix that though.