Home Technical Talk

Teapotters - real-time 3D youtube

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
http://www.teapotters.com/home_private_beta.php

It's in beta right now but you can view the demo (model of Nintendo Wii). If this thing takes off I can see it changing game artist portfolios for the better.

Check it out!

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    That's pretty neat, it's awesome that it lets you use standard pan and zoom controls, but I can't seem to find how to rotate
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's pretty dang swanky, but anything that forces someone to install a plugin will likely turn them away frown.gif

rotating is done with the left most-button, btw. Click it, then click/drag on the model to rotate.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    ok it seems to change depending on what button you have clicked. Middle mouse pans, and left changes between rotate / zoom depending on what you have selected. Not sure people would like to install ActiveX plugins though.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    It's cool, I just think it would suck if people used OGLE and ripped models that people don't want to release.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For it to be the Youtube of 3d it would need to use flash. As I was opening i thought to myself 'oh, someone finally made a decent 3d-viewer that doesn't need a plugin besides flash?' only to be dissapointed, heh.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's more friendly than using Viewpoint Experience Technology or some of the other plug-ins, which I thought would do the same thing ages ago. But they are still plagued by the same issues;
    - Model security
    - Installing of a security conscious plug-in from a new unknown source (with time trust can be earned)
    - Load times for complex models with textures
    - To keep load times low the features will more than likely be limited. It looks like they only have defuse map support with some default spec and lighting?

I don't see it replacing peoples portfolio but maybe being a secondary fluff feature. Maybe as vista becomes more prevalent, pushing older hardware out of the way, they will be allowed to add spec, normal, glow. With all those maps comes longer load times and higher hardware requirements, which would frustrate potential employers who already get frustrated at 3 clicks instead of 1.

Maybe in time they will overcome all the hurdles.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    flash is almost there

this virtools plugin is 8meg!! what!!