Home General Discussion

Genres you can't stand.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Everyone has that genre, whether it be games, music, film, tv, or other forms of entertainment.. that they dislike and refuse to spend time experiencing, whats yours?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    pop country, whatever category Nickleback and it's clones play, and emo
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    whatever genre Busted, mcFly etc are in, I hate it
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Puzzle platformers

Film noir

Almost anything to do with the 1920s/30s

Inane chick flicks
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    angsty female popstar remixes
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Romance novels

MMORPGs - not so much because I necessarily don't like them but I'm afraid I'd play they too much if I did let myself get into them.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    GTA Clones, WW# FPS, Emo/Screamo, TV Shows about government agents or conspiracies. Seriously I've worked for them, it's not even fathomable to me that 24 is realistic.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    "Scary" Movies, Fantasy MMO's, "Simulation" racing games that aren't, any show or movie that is Seinfield-esque (taking everyday things and blowing them out of proportion with characters having braindead reactions to the situations), "Gang" rap...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    "Realistic" sports games (why not just go out and play the real damn sport, it's more fun and better for you!), anything that's in the top 10 of today's singles charts, the type of music where everyone raves for 3 weeks about one single track that a person or band released, then they're never heard from again because they lacked real talent.

Oh, and while I love reading nearly all kinds of books, I despise the ones which are written in a pretentious and convoluted manner, the ones where the author gets carried away with clever sentence structure and half-arsed musings on the eternal without ever actually managing to craft an engaging plot or show an interesting character.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Generic Elf/Human/Orc/Dwarf Western European Fantasy MMO's (that's like 85% of em).
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    racing games, especially formula 1.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Games that try to be 3 or more genres all at once.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely all things Anime, Musicals, Transformers (robots trucks that turn into shit? I just don't get the appeal), TV crime shows (CSI and the like, jesus there are like 7000 of them), TV shows that are either the same bloody episode over and over or never end (24, Lost, House, etc blah blah fucking blah) anything at all to do with hip hop/gang culture, any comedies starring or penned by Adam Sandler, comedies that parody comedies (e.g date movie), I'll echo MoP on the sports games too, and I'll add any movies about sport (American football, baseball etc), Jackass type movies, really, I could go on.
    Oh wait, the retarded web speak cat phenomenon. Not a genre I suppose but wtf.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would be easier for Daz to list the few things he doesn't hate... =P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Anime, I can't stand to watch the shit. But I love read graphic novel manga.
    I'm with Xeno on the typical fantasy RPG/MMO. I can't wait for someone to mix WW2 and Fantasy for the ultimate genre disaster game.
    Emo/cape music.
    Mockumentaries.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Country Music is an oxymoron. Emphasis on the latter.

Game-wise, I'm not much on the zombie game. Bleh...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it would be easier for Daz to list the few things he doesn't hate... =P

[/ QUOTE ]

anything bitter? so probably his morning coffee.

anyway, i hate fat people.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    1. Fantasy (with a couple exceptions)
    2. SciFi (again, with a couple exceptions)
    3. Epics
    4. Anime (mainly because they almost always involve 1-3, but also because the animation usually sucks)
    5. Sappy romance novels/films
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I think ruling out entire genre's is a bit broad, anyways I avoid the following like the plague laugh.gif :

-Oprah
    -Dr Phil
    -Neighbours
    -Big Brother
    -Feminist music (destiny's child >:)
    -Console FPS
    -Need for Speed Franchise
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Final Fantasy (pretty much a fuckin genre now)
    Anime
    Hip Hop
    Emo
    Modern Art
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    My number 1 has to be Emo music. Fuck fuck fuck. That shit drives me INSANE.

Rap
    Soap Operas
    Cocky Shitty Shows like "My Super Sweet 16" (FUCK I HATE THAT SHOW)
    Most kinds of Beer
    Games with too much text/menus
    Texan Drivers
    Realistic Sports Games
    Football/Sports Movies
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Horror movies
    Emo/Sreamo/"HardxCore"
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    -Emo/Screamo/poppunkrock or whatever other trendy, limp-wristed poser music that supposidly stems from heavy music. Basically I hate the bands that genre rape but mixing them all in a blender and say "this is happenin! Give us money & Chix!".
    -Sports games
    -Common Sports on tv eg: Tennis/football/Rugby etc. ( I prefer strongestman/Boxing/UFC/K-1)
    -All the Supposed "Horror" films that are being churned out by hollywood at the moment. Rated PG.
    -Modern Degenerate Gangster related bullshit.
    -Modern Art (what a bunch of pretentious con men).
    -"Reality"-TV (what a sick "celebrity" obsessed joke).
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    whatever music that is that swamps the video channels, generally involving some seriously ugly bloke in a skull cap throwing spastic hand shapes, while a load of women in gold lam
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    reality tv in particluar- cheap no brain tv
    csi type programs - they are just so smug and medium paced all the time.And stop abbreviating everything csi must stand for 'cock suckers international'

The 1980's - it just sucked. they should have missed out that decade altogether.

i agree with Daz, WTF is the attraction of transformers. I hated them as a teen when they first came out and still think they are shit

fucking soap operas of any description.
    I waited 15 years for that pile of dogs drippings 'home and away' to finish on ITV and then channel 5 buy it and put it back on.
    East Enders is just as bad. depressing bilge

Drama - in particular ones starring the same old bunch of luvvies we get in the UK.jsut boring and depressing, along with hospital shit like holby city

Aggh I hate it all:0
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trance mostly (OMG TARNCE WOO),
    and most of gabber/hardcore.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    all the non skaters in skate gear these days.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Country, and Rap. Neither should be followed by the word music. Country today is basically repetitive Pop with cowboy hats and Ford trucks. Pop meaning, prepackaged by the music industry to make a huge profit. I'll actually give some credit to the Dixie Chicks for being talented and writing lyrics that don't closely follow the mainstream conservative listener's expectations.

Rap will never die as long as people enjoy getting rich quick without the need for education or talent.

At the bottom of the barrel, Nickelback. Goddammit I hate Nickelback! These guys are more Pop than Rock, but all the rock stations are playing them. I turn the radio off. And that stupid Photograph song! I'd rather be kicked in the nuts than listen to the whole duration of that track.

Death Metal...I listen to this genre, but for the guitar work. Many of the vocalist could use singing lessons.

Emo, nuff said.

Oprah/Lifetime.

Reality TV. There's nothing real about it. It's a Soap Opera with worse acting. That's bad.

Sitcoms about people who spend their days at home on the couch, or at the coffee shop.

MMO's. Grinding.

Modern/Contemporary "art"
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    *Emo anything
    *Country Music
    *The Oscars and other celebrity self-wank fest (not a genre but I hate it)
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Smooth jazz - it creates the most false sence of happiness I've ever heard in a genre.

Hollywood movies: Those types they make that are supposed to appeal to american dumbasses, the lowest common denominator. Some MILF and her fat kids on a rainy day say... "Hey this movie looks funny, lets go see it"

Celebrity reporting TV shows. Satan as his finest. wink.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    "Reality" TV

Cop, Lawyer or Docter dramas

Jazz
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    any music that has "core" in the genre description
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more of a lover than a hater...buuuuut, since we're on the topic wink.gif:

Straight Edgers/Sraight Edge Hardcore: maybe if you had some sex, ate a steak, drank a beer, or smoked a little bud you might not be so angry all the time.

Emotional Black Hole Movies: some "chick flicks" fall into this category. Any movie about falling in love with someone with a terminal illness, or movie where you can see the trajedy at the end of the movie from the very begining. Also in this category is movies like "Requiem for a Dream" and "Leaving Las Vegas" Theres just no redeeming quality to those movies. Its just suffering and misery for their own sake. Cheer up goth kid, not every day is a cloudy one.

Torture Horror Movies: Why does every new horror movie have to be about a weirdo/serial killer that elaboratly tortures people?

Christian Rock/Metal: ...gag...gurk...HOOOORK!

The current trend of hating Contemporary/Modern Art, after having only read the Art Renewal Center's rant against it...or simply because its not a picture of an zombie ninja pirate.

Threads about hating stuff I can't seem to stay out of: ...damn
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    -I'm with you Emo haters
    -And raping over classic rock. Why ruin great music, WHY!?
  • genuine90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sports games: like some people said, why play it on tv when you can do it in real life.
    Comedies that is similar to Seifield: no matter how small the problem can be, some idiot with a IQ of -30 always dealt with it in some crazy styles that messes up everything.
    Most of the scary movies nowaday: Nothing is scary anymore, by today's movie standard, scary is pretty much 'silence, silence, silence, BANG, something pops out and make one huge freaking noise' that is not scary, that is just startling and surprising, nothing more.
    Rap: Money + Girls = 90% of every rap, except different lyric.
    Games shows that have people posing as hardcore gamers when they are not
    Shows that involves making a person, house look good
    Deal or No Deal: just makes me mad how some guy can easily get $10000+ by guessing, at least some other shows require a bit of knowledge
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Christian Rock/Metal: ...gag...gurk...HOOOORK!

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to add that to my list, but it's easy to avoid. Sometimes I read about it, and laugh.

[ QUOTE ]
    The current trend of hating Contemporary/Modern Art, after having only read the Art Renewal Center's rant against it

[/ QUOTE ]

Never read it. I've visited several Contemporary/Modern Art museums and left dissatisfied.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    games : adventure rpg games that have me walking around for hours just to find a secret key or some other hidden thing, talking to tons of npcs to try and piece together lil clues to find out where to go.

fighters,, like tekken virtu fighter, stuff like that

movies: romance comedys, hip trendy mtv generation movies, "smokin aces, under world, ultra violet, pulp fiction.

books: ones with no pictures!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

-And raping over classic rock. Why ruin great music, WHY!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a better choice of music to rape to? Anthony Burgess seemed to think that Beethoven might work quite well...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    since emo has gotten so cool to hate, i've decided emo is cool now.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    since love and hate are so strong emotions, I've decided to be completely indifferent about emo. take that you soppy bastards! er I mean I don't really have an opinion on it
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Reality tv, valley girls, paris hilton, paris hilton impersonators, fake reality tv (redundant, much?) rap, emo music, emo people, fuck-headed jocks/preps with their heads crammed 40 miles up their cavernous asses, politics, people who fight about politics, sports, sports shows, sports movies, sports video games, animal planet, racing games, country music, anything that has been or will be touched by britney spears, britney spears, tv, commercials, "Next gen" video games with characters that look like shit and bloom that could kill your brain, people who are "hardcore gamers" because they play halo 2. Those movies for fuck headed single moms with 6 children, Romance novels, rob schneider movies, almost any sweet food that isn't candy.

Hardly any of those things are genres, but who gives a shit?

Oh, i almost forgot. UNEEDED SHORTENING OF FUCKING WORDS. Examples "Simmer D (simmer down)" "Dec (decent)"
    Which also extends to chat speak, and even worse, those fucking idiots who use chat speak terms in everday life. (The next dick-bag in my school who says "LOL" instead of laughing will be wearing their innards as a festive hat)

• swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Sitcom humor in general, mostly when things get serious and you think the show is about to be profound, then a joke always pops up somewhere to "cut the tension".
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    - Emo in general and emo kids that hang out at Flinders steps
    - Religion
    - People who hate on Straight Edge (most commonly uneducated drunk fucks with nothing better to do than poison themselves to death... FUCK YOU!)
    - Oprah and people who watch Oprah
    - Spoilt kids
    - Dickheads that do "Chap-Laps"
    - Pointless Violence
    - The term "terrorist"
    - American/Australian/'insert name of country here' Idol

I'll come back to this list later in the day.

-caseyjones
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    by "emo" i take it you mean the vile manufactured guitar music fronted by wankers in eyeliner, cynically marketed towards 15 year olds who haven't found anyone to sell them drugs yet but would really like to? My Chemical Romance and the like? yes, yes that's nasty.

shame the term has been hijacked for such grimness though ... "emo" used to be record-store assistant music. Not cool by any means, but generally worth a listen.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    American Wrestling - WTF is that all about? I just dont get the appeal. Matches are pre-derermined, they come on and face off - 'Dude I'm gonna kill you', 'Well dude, I'm gonna kill you too!', blah, blah, blah. Most of the moves you can see coming a mile off (unless your the other wrestler) then they smack each other up with chairs n ladders.

I just don't get it!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    British wrestling in the 70s and 80s was much more credible. You never see the mother of one of these WWE wrestlers get into the ring and smack the other one with a brick hidden in her handbag.