Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Fantasy Characters!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
Well this is my first post here on polycount in the Pimping and Previews section and I thought I’d show some characters that I’ve been working on in my spare time. It’s a strange time to post this stuff considering war is upon us but it’s still peacetime for now so it’s all good I guess, hehe. These are work in progress images and won't be completed until March, when I re launch my website. I still have to add more detail to the color, spec and normal maps for these guys but that’ll wait until the wars done. When these are cleaned up and completed I'll take the final beauty shots in the Unreal 3 engine.

DominusRendermarcusdublin.com.jpg
JanusRendermarcusdublin.com.jpg
ElenaRendermarcusdublin.com.jpg
GromRendermarcusdublin.com.jpg

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios

Replies

• Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    NIIIIIICE WORK! Dont really have any crits. I like the first character and the female the best, but thats just personal taste. Great job!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, very nice, solid models.

Any chance of some wireframes?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice textures!

not sure about the feet on all the characters though.

renders also look a bit odd done without perspective...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't his sword on the wrong side?

Assuming he reaches across with his right arm to pull it out, then he'd be wielding it with his armored arm, which wouldn't make much sense. He'd want the unencumbered arm holding the sword with his armored side towards the opponent. I think?

Not a fan of the beard texture on that dwarf.

Other than that... pretty fucking snazzy work.
  • 3D-j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only critique I have is that some of the armor placement is not functional and maybe an issue with some people. It is fantasy though. I guess you could get away with it in some cases. I like the models a lot but their textures seem to be a little generic until you get the other maps on them. Reminds me of Gauntlet, but done really well. What do you have in mind for these character?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Marcus, Man you have really improved!
    I It's not a big deal to use photos in your textures, but on some of them It looks like you relied on them a bit too heavily. I know these are probably done, but next time around be sure to paint a bit more, rather than counting on Photos to give texture. Great work man. I havent seen stuff from you in a while, so I can definitely see a progression.
    Keep up the good work!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty sweet, but the eyes on all characters (to a lesser extent the elf and the dwarf) are sunken in too deep, and the bellybutton of the elf is way too low.

Oh and the skin color of the mage looks somehow unhealthy.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i totally agree with JKMakowka about the eyes. something was bugging me about all the faces(not so much with the elf). and i think that's it...the eyes. i think the girls face suffers the most. something about it just doesn't look "believeable".

besides that and what others have said. these look pretty damn solid. any chance of seeing some wires and textures?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    looks pretty sweet, i bet if you render them out with some nice lighting they'll look really impressive smile.gif cheers
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow nice marcus!! are these hidden character in frontlines wink.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work. All of the armor seems a little weak to me (detail's nice, but lighting seems too vague) but overall it looks awesome
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice work. Awesome
  • popawheelie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popawheelie polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet work. I agree wih rawkstar, nice lighting would make their equipment/bags etc sit better with the characters.

Well done! Solid work.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    excellent work!
    It's really cool to see how much you've improved.
    Some crits: (if you haven't already moved on from this work)
    I second Rawkstar on the lighting. Also, rig these guys!
    The mage guy's cloth feels a bit stiff, i think posing him would help alleviate that.
    The top guys shoulder pieces are kind of lost amongst each other and form a giant blue blob. Some directional lights should really help sort that area out.
    Again, really great work. You've been busy!
    B
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: I’m usually anal when it comes to feet, so I’ll tweak them along with everything else. Though it may also be the field of view, when I take the final renders I’ll have some shots from other angles.

Sectaurs: hehe your absolutely right about the sword placement, I’m not sure what it is but I always tend to put attachments on the left side of characters, it's purely psychological, hehe but I’ll shift it over for the Fighter since it makes sense.

3D-j: Yeah everything should come togher quite nicely when all of the maps are done. I intentionally didn’t paint to hot of a specular on some of the broad parts of the armor, since I’ll let the spec map do what it does best. As for my intentions for the characters, well what started out as something just for kicks and to update my portfolio turned into a little side project between myself and a programmer buddy of mine, we’ll see where it goes.

ghost_rider: Ever since joining Kaos Studios, I’ve been pushed as a texture artist to incorporate more photo sourcing into my workflow, and that new direction in thinking also translated into my personal work as well. It’s really given me a bigger brush to paint with so to speak and I try to blend the best of both worlds to better express myself as an artist. I still love painting and have been working on some digital paintings that I’ll show in the future. Funny thing is I’m itching to do some small PSP or DS spec pixel stuff, hehe.

JKMakowka: Good call man, I added a bit to much shading around the eye’s, which gives them the impression that the eyes are sunken in; thankfully it’s a quick fix. The same goes for giving the Mage some nice crimson tones and a touch of rose to really give the skin some punch!

Lee3dee: Hahaha, yeah man the cats out of the bag; they were going to be Easter eggs until the higher ups caught me, Damm! Now back to work on Hour of Victory for you!

modeling_man: Rigs and final poses for these are definitely on the to do list, just wish there were more hours in the day.

Hey thanks for the crits and comments guys, when I take the final pass on these models I’ll definitely work in all of the great advice passed my way. I’ll post the wires for these guys tomorrow to show the poly flow and construction for those interested.

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
    http://www.frontlinesgame.com/
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Holly cow, thats sweet. Tits for U wink.gif
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful work!! I like the diversity of character types and form. My only comment would be that the shoulder guard on the first guy seems to cut down mobility with that arm quite a bit. Not to say it can't be used like that, but when animating there would be significant pass through that in the end wouldn't come across well.

I have been reading some of the other posts and see that everything I saw is up there already. So I guess I won't try to reiterate what's been said so well already, other than KICK ASS WORK DUDE smile.gif

with a few tweaks and a rig and I don't how people won't take notice of your work.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay here’s the wire shots, when creating these guys I wanted to aim for next gen specs which are roughly between 7,000 to 15,000. For these guys I didn’t want to go too much beyond 13,300. The Texture sizes are also on next-gen spec, I used 2048x2048 color maps for the whole character including the weapons and I plan on using 2k maps for the spec and normal as well. I’ll show the texture sheets once my website is up and running.

Later,
    Marcus Dublin

FighterWire.jpg
    MageWire.jpg
    ElfWire.jpg
    DwarfWire.jpg
  • spinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal polycounter lvl 17
    Dude! Very impressive, Im just a sucker for fantasy/medieval stuff. Nice style too.
  • gameready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only comment I have would be the dwarves legs being too long, probably should be more stubby. Great work, now make them low poly! smile.gif
  • Arkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkus polycounter lvl 17
    OMG, I love it...

Wonderfull, awsome pices - don't know what more can I say.

For me it's perfect.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome. Don't care much for the dwarf's face... for the size of his beard he should have more hair on his face. i doubt he'd have that clean of shave smile.gif

and rig the hands! ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Either that, or maybe try modeling them a little more relaxed. I would highly suggest posing the hands at least if you make them show pieces. They're all really high quality models, but for me personally the hands detract a bit.