Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monkey-like Adventure Boy

Kin
Kin
WORK IN PROGRESS!

This is my second model for my demo reel, so far it comes to about 2500 polys with the target for it being 4000 polys. Just wondering if there are any particular places that is good to up the polys. It will have a sword, maybe a scimitar, as his primary weapon. Any critiques suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Particularly on the flow of the model, the color choice for the model, and overall design.

jaedifpn6.jpg

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    is it me,or you forgot to add the image? wink.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I can see it. Looks pretty cool so far.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    yea,i can see it now.looks cool.If you want to optimize,then maybe you can lose 1 ring of polys in the neck and weld some points in the area between eye and ear
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    here,hope you dont mind.
    PS:im photoshopless now,so dont mind the jerky lines of paint.
    lol
    jaedifpn6ac2.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    You could add some more polys to the face, especially to define the features a bit more.
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    lookin forward to the texture man....are u going to add the sash?
  • genuine90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing to think about is the size of sword/scimitar, how big is it? where is it being sheathed when he is not using the weapon.

the evolution of Abu ahahah
  • Kin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kin
    Thanks for all the feedback, I've considered all suggestions and have fixed some of the problems. I added the sash and finished UVing. I'm starting basic texturing, so I will post very soon.

As for the sword/scimitar, I was thinking a pretty big one since this character is pretty much a boy, it will probably be as tall as him. Still figuring that out though.
  • genuine90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, adding more polygons to the face to show feature is recommended, the goggle should bulge out a bits
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    You've started texturing, so I don't know how many of these you want to implement, but...

kin_pc.jpg

- It looks like you modeled the thickness of the jacket. You can get the same effect with some creative texturing and save some easy polys.

- Push the thickness of the sash a little more to make those polys really worth it. Same with the other loops. Really make them worth it. Exaggerate forms slightly so they read really easy at a glance.

- Looks like theres a loop in the sash that isn't really doing anything. unless you're concerned with animation in that area. Also on the front center where the belt is mirrored over, it connects into a point. Flatten that out some so it flows around more cleanly.

- I'm guessing you could weld that edge in the crotch and not lose much of anything in terms of deformation.

- Right now the foot is just a beveled cylinder. By modeling it with the edges flowing down the foot, you'll get better deformation in the animation.

I like him, he's a neat little character.
  • Kin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kin
    Latest update of the model with some basic texture work. I've changed some of the flow of the mesh as many of you suggested and came up to around 2996 polys. Right now the texture is 1024x1024 and I will resize it later. As you can see, I haven't added the hair yet except for a little patch on the top. Thanks again for all your suggestions, it really helped me a lot.

jaediftexturety2.jpg
  • Kin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kin
    Finished texture, I brightened up the texture and made it more stylized with crisper lines. Tell me what you think. I personally really like the look of it, but I am not sure if the texture is too plain.
    jaedifrender03ob2.jpg
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, looks more appropriate for a 900 poly model and a 256x256 texture than a 3k 1024x1024 one