Home General Discussion

link between the internet and the mind. fate?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
OK. Strange story:

The other day I was wondering about "Friends reunited" in my daily bed-brainstorm. So lying there, I asked myself "who is the most unlikely person to use the internet who I went to school with"? (seeing how most people I went to school with are not online). Eventually I came up with a name. I guy called Ross.

Ross moved into a caravan (trailer) after we left school at 16, to live a natural lifestyle in the woods next to a river. No-one ever heard from him again.

I go to the office. Turn on my computer, check my email.

Ross posts on my blog.

OK. Strange story. But not completely out of the ordinary. Right?

So this morning I was thinking about my old life when I was 17, back in rural cornwall. I took my mind back to one of the most beautiful girls I had ever met. We had an experience in my bed, not entirely the whole way but almost there if you get what I mean. She was willowy and tall, but it was an enigma. We both fancied each other, but did nothing about it. I thought she may be lost from my mind, and I am not sure why she entered that particular brain storm. I wondering what she is now doing in life.

Go to the office, check my email.

She posts on my blog.

Clairvoyance? Why these premonitions? Two times in a row is not a regular thing. My SEO must be doing wonders in the ether.

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Haha awesome hawken. I've had things like this happen to me, I imagined getting with an old grade school crush and it magically happened. I read a book called "Psychocybernetics" and it basically says if you imagine things enough they become reality. USE THE FORCE LUKE
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    really strange shit man. i've had alot of experiences like that with different things. for example, i started seeing this chicky over the summer, and the secret of nimh happened to pop into my head one day. i go over to her house that night and she pops in a dvd, guess what...it was goonies.

no, honestly it was secret of nimh. and there was this other time not too long ago where i was thinking about pink floyd because i used to listen to them alot when i was younger and i felt the urge to look up some stuff about syd barrett on the net, turned out he died like one week before that.

but i've experience exactly what you're talking about. like i had this friend billy in highschool and i hadn't spoken to the dude in years and for whatever reason was thinking about him one day. the next day he called me. also, i find that if you're in a relationship w/ someone the same shit happens just in shorter intervals. wierd stuff indeed.
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    yeah, something might be true on thing. i also have a lot of that experiences going on. on 2 friends this applies a lot. everytime they call/met me (this usually happens every month or so) i have to think about them before.

sometimes i have a sweet dream about a girl, when i wake up i usually wonder why i dreamed exactly about her because i havent seen her a while ago or did not had such sweet relationship to her before. then it usually happens the next day that we come in contact, we wheather see us on the street or i get a call or something like this.

its strange, but i like it. I guess it always happens on that days when you have no reason to think/dream about that person, its always a sudden event.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken, this is called `Synchronicity`, quite a deep and well researched `phenomena`. Opinions are very wide ranging on the actual roots of it. You are not alone!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Random chance and coincidence...
    It's amazing how the human mind looks for links and patterns everywhere. The thing is, if you look for a pattern or a link, chances are you'll eventually find one, no matter how tenuous.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Similar topic to do with a computer although nothing to do with the internet.

A week ago I was jumping in the bath and putting my music on (winamp) and decided what I wanted to listen to. I right fancied a bit of Jonny Cash at the time (I have just the one song in my 'various' folder - The Man Comes Around) but I also fancied a 'Feel Good Album', so I went with that. Now I was just sorting the playlist out, seeing if there was nothing I wanted to do listen to that in that 5 song range (ish) and was going to put Cash with the album so it would play it anyway. I decided against it, turned of 'random' in winamp and the feel good album started. After the first song comes in, Jonny Cash comes on. This is weird because they are no way near on my playlist, I didn't queue the song and I turned random off. After the song it goes back to the feel good album like nothing has happened. When I get out of the bath, I go to winamp and press back to which it crashes - even winamp doesn't have a fucking clue what it did.

I know I didn't queue the files because that would have required two actions, queueing the cash and then back to feel good. I can not explain it, especially not with winamp crashing..
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not so sure mop. i used to hold pretty strongly to that view too. i'm not saying i completely disagree as i'm a pretty skeptical guy, but there are certain instances where i just can't pass things off to random chance with confidence. that doesn't mean i believe there's a "spiritual" element to these experiences. it could just be another sheet of fabric in the universe that's as yet undescovered. or like in the case of relationships, especially when they are well developed, maybe there is just an unconscious program running that's in sync between the two people involved, a subliminal clock or something. but like with that chic i was seeing, i had only known her for like a week and that stuff was already happening. i'd be sitting in my apartment doing work and all of a sudden i'd get really agitated wondering where she was and what she was doing, and she would call me right then.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Random chance and coincidence...
    It's amazing how the human mind looks for links and patterns everywhere. The thing is, if you look for a pattern or a link, chances are you'll eventually find one, no matter how tenuous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think like this Mop. However, me thinking about two people who I'm unlikely to have contact with, contacting me on the same day I've thought about them is, well, beyond co-incidence.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Guess:
    You talk in your sleep and its your woman posting in your blog to creep you out.

This has happened to me before but not two times the exact same way. It's weird when it happens but there isn't much you can do with or about it besides note it, shrug and move on.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    It's equally amazing how the human mind will take the most amazing thing and rationalize it into the mundane so that it does not threaten an established, accepted reality. ....probly coincidence
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    low odor: yeah, that fact will always keep me entertained smile.gif (maybe for my whole life... )
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Sometimes when I stare at ceramic/textures tiles and other things with random patterns I see skulls and other things.

Those images aren't really in the tiles, but in my head.

At the same time, there are things (be they physical or phenoma) that man does not know. So I hate to discount clairvoyance as hogwash, and tend to classify it as an unknown or the inaudible voice of angels and God.

Hawken, if you are thinking about these people and they you, take it as a sign to reconnect with them.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I stared down a night light once saying over and over turn off and at that moment it broke never to turn on again.

I also seem to look at the clock at precisely 11:11. Doesn't matter what clock I just look up sometimes and its 11:11. I don't where a watch or check the time that often. While this can be explained as subconscious just prompting me to look at the clock at this time. So anyway I googled 11:11.

Here are some of the links

http://www.1111spiritguardians.com/

http://www.nvisible.com/

I also have experienced similar coincidences to what you have hawken.

Its strange and interesting but I doubt I'll ever find out whats really going on there.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think humans will really have to nail down some of the more fundimental aspects of physics before we can know one way or another if people can see the future or not.

At one point science explained nothing. It is only though taking our experiences and applying the scientific method that a more objective reality can be understood. To say that people can't see the future because science hasn't "proven" it is obviously an anti-scientific attitude.

I myself have heard enough stories like this from people I trust, and experiences things not so different myself, that I think it is worth researching, but research isn't possible until we have some understanding of the basic mechanisms involved.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I dreamed once i would have an A in geometry, it was very real...in that same day i have an A , and the teacher was using the exact same clothes...
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes i predict the simpsons episode that will be aired on tv the same night. For some odd reason a scene pops up in my head, i come back from work and it's on TV.

I havent figured out how to use this power for evil...yet.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    However, me thinking about two people who I'm unlikely to have contact with, contacting me on the same day I've thought about them is, well, beyond co-incidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, it's just a less probable coincidence smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    It's equally amazing how the human mind will take the most amazing thing and rationalize it into the mundane so that it does not threaten an established, accepted reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more amazing that the human mind considers certain things amazing... anything could be amazing, depending on your viewpoint! Reality is, in itself, pretty amazing.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Mop's got the right idea here. The mind is capable of some really incredible things, especially when it comes to memory. Vivid recollections can be created or modified retroactively, and you may often form connections where there aren't any.

Improbable? Yes. Clairvoyance? ROFL crazy.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    So two old friends of yours post on your blog (inconceivable! What's the internet coming to?) and you didn't notice until you thought about them?

Isn't that just selective vision on your part?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes i predict the simpsons episode that will be aired on tv the same night. For some odd reason a scene pops up in my head, i come back from work and it's on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This happens to me too. My theory behind Precogsimspsonitis is that people who watch too many simpsons episodes actually amalgamate all the episodes into one giant blob of images. The actual prevision is a generic simpsons moment. When we see the episode our subconscious collapses the generic prevision into what we are watching, creating a false sense of precognition
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funny thing happened to me today, about 45 minutes ago. Right before I went to lunch I thought about calling my sis to see if she'd like to join me. Sure enough as I was paying for my food she called, wondering what I was doing for lunch.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I think it's more amazing that the human mind considers certain things amazing... anything could be amazing, depending on your viewpoint! Reality is, in itself, pretty amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this might derail the thread a bit, but you just mentioned the biggest problem of a materialistic worldview. There is no criterion to mesure things beside the one we created ourself during years of evolutions: our sense for ethics, our language. But we can't use this one to evaluate the standard itself we're all using in our life obviously. So making statements like religion is good, murder is bad, a non scientific worldview is bad, are a venire contra factum proprium if they are made by a materialist.
    The point you made is just one application of this insight.
    I've talked to people who didn't agree on this and it becomes a discussion about psychology if you want to argue about the above conclusion. How far do we have to use our intellect to limit our emotions? I think I can't limit the area of application of my intellect, which is why I've chosen a non materialistic worldview. This way I don't get into the dilemma of having to limit the scope of my mind in order to use common ethics as a binding norm.

I don't think we can easily say events like this are coincidence. I would have said that a 100 years ago when we thought we're living in a determinate reality. But the quantum theory has changed our understanding of causality fundamentally and the theory of relativity our understanding of simultaneity, so I wouldn't make a statement like Mops anymore just like this.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    ** Sending love packets to MoP **
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    "the generic simson moment" smile.gif i know that...

my words about coincidence: (hit me when i am wrong smile.gif )

coincidence can only be used if you imply that there is a fixed boundary. you make a some programms that create random pixels on a 256 texture, multiply each & ran trough filters blablalba... you may get after (guess it takes long) a certain time a picture that looks like a perfect scaled down version of mona lisa on a 256 texture.
    you can do that same procedure with a 512x512 texture, it will take longer, but it will happen.
    coincidence will be the case when it happens not in the mathematically calculated timepoint of maybe 1500years, it will be after 3 days or so.

now in those events that some have talked about where they(me too) already got some hint before the "reallity" event was happening one cant use coincidence as a description, because this will imply that life needs to have a boundary. you would say that there is this fixed resolution on which you can further say that coincidence may have taken place.

If one wants to say something about life and coincidence, then you can never get a boundary, its always related to a neverending universe & universe cant have a boundary, otherwise it cant exist.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Forgive me if I've misunderstood, Scottish, but that came across as an extremely verbose "keep an open mind" bit.

Yes, there are limitations that we encounter when we make assumptions about the world we live in, but what's the alternative? You need some measure of consistency in your views and thoughts if you are to function at all.

And I'm not sure how you can so easily declare yourself to be above materialism. You're a part of society, aren't you? As you said, venire contra factum proprium.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Hawken, remember that time those really good looking women went to your site asking about me? One was blond, one was brunette, both of them had gorgeous smiles. Ironically they're living in Green Bay where I just moved to and were curious what happened to me. Remember that????? Please??

edit: typo mania, what was going on when I wrote this?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, nice one Kovac smile.gif

*** Receiving sledgy's love packets ***
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that you have to necessarily dispense with a "materialistic" point of view. of course, that subject then lends to greater existential questions like "what is material". what i concieve as physical reality is still just a symbolic interpretation of a universe that is impossible to know without that symbolic filter. What we regard as touch, sight etc., these are subjective of course, but there still is the element of causality that allows us to decipher things as being part of a logical system. I guess I would regard that as a materialistic or scientific view which to me is the best approach developed. as was mentioned before, these experiences could be founded in physics some day, who knows.

at the same time, there's not enough of an objective reference point to go and write off coincidence altogether in alot of these cases. one could argue, for example, that hawken thought about these people many times in those intermittent years, perhaps at close intervals since they might be close nodes in whatever network of neurons is being used for those memories, and they didn't contact him then, so what's up with that? same with my friend billy.

also, maybe these experiences could actually be DUE to a predetermined reality and that our aniticipation is evident of that. i guess the problem with attributing all of these occurrences wholly to coincidence is that they seem to happen all to often.

*to be published in my book: Distracting Yourself from DEATH
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    My Precogsimspsonitis wasnt fake damnit, predictions were made at work, probably 4 hours before i got home frown.gif.

I'm the next nostradamus i tellz ya!

/me invokes a succubus attack upon johny
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Hawken, remember that time those really good looking women went to your site asking about me? One was blond, one was brunette, both of them had gorgeous smiles. Ironically they're lived in Green Bay where I just moved to and were curios what happened to me. Remember that????? Please??

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is great, but man did this make me laugh. Good game.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well unusually I had a premonition that lucozade would go bust
    so I scratched my head and it didn't happen . that is so weird,yet so typical of the modern world
    (edited fir signs of speeed typing)
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I didn`t realise so many artists are fully trained in the fields of psychology, meta and astro physics etc etc...
    lollerSCAT
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Forgive me if I've misunderstood, Scottish, but that came across as an extremely verbose "keep an open mind" bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't misunderstand me, this is pretty much what I was saying. I think the consequences of a strictly naturalistic view of things force us to consider things beyond matter too. But the verbose part was the arguments to get to this conclusion, so I think they are needed.
    I'm not just quoting the 2 theories for nothing, before those were posited it was really hard to believe in anything but the principles of causality. I think a hundred years ago I would have had a hard time believing in god (and I had a hard time before having read about them).

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I would regard that as a materialistic or scientific view which to me is the best approach developed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, I agree with this. The atheistic methodology is a story of success and I wouldn't go a step behind it. But we obviously can't apply this method to an infinite amount of possibly existing things. To draw the conclusion that they don't exist because we can't apply the naturalistic methodology to them is wrong though.
    I think this might be one reason why many scientists nowadays have an atheistic worldview: habit changed a methodology into a world-view.

[ QUOTE ]
    also, maybe these experiences could actually be DUE to a predetermined reality and that our aniticipation is evident of that

[/ QUOTE ] Our reality isn't predetermined as far as we know today. But we don't know yet how much the random events influence the macroscopic world around us, so you still have a valid point there.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, I didn`t realise so many artists are fully trained in the fields of psychology, meta and astro physics etc etc...
    lollerSCAT

[/ QUOTE ]

The really amazing thing is that I'm not trained as a 3D artist AT ALL, yet I still know what the fuck I'm doing.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it maddening that reality will always be infinitely elusive except in symbolic form. This will always have to be the case no matter how advanced our knowledge becomes. Sound doesn't exist, light doesn't exist, etc. the best you can do is say it's energy of some kind but even then you have some symbol in your mind to correlate to that, because really what is energy? you can't say it looks like something or it feels like something save for what the brain has fabricated as perceptual reality. but beyond that there is no form.

wait, what were we talking about?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Too much knowledge is a bad thing. Its probably better to be ignorant about the the universe, because it will probably frighten the living shite out of you.
    imagine you find out yeah that the bizarre coincidences are indeed directed towards you. that means there is someone out there screwing with your mind