Home Technical Talk

EdgeChEx really nice plug for mechanical modelin

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
this is a really nice chamfering modifier, it keeps all quads with the nice cube corners. its perfect for highpoly mechanical modeling, just block out your mass, add an edgechex modifier on top(make sure its advance) and then a turbo smooth on top of that and thats really all she wrote, you can adjust the properties of chamfer in realtime and checkout the results.. i tried to write a script for this but it didnt work so good..

just drop that junk in your plugin folder

here is the page for it and the link to the max 8 version
http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/EdgeChEx.htm

and here is a link to the max 9 32 and 64 versions
http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/max9.htm

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    DOWNLOADED AND THANKS !!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i just found it and posted it immediately. it seems to be magic, i would like to know if anyone has found an instance where it dosent work.
    the script i wrote was kind of picky and didn't work in every instance, so really it was only useful to me cause i knew exactly when it was going to work. but i have tested all the ways mine would crap out and it seems to work like a charm on whatever i throw at it..
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, well it seems it was too good to be true, works great for perfecly square objects, but if you have too many curves or smoothed surfaces, and try to do it by edge angle it borks your model a bit and dosent look good smoothed, i will try and test it out more later when i have time, there might be some magic settings i dont know about.. but i did find that if you only select the edges you want to be hard it can yield decent results, and since its a modifier its nice to beable to go under it and see what works and what dosent..
    but even with its downfalls i can see it saving me some time.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I ran into the same thing testing it out, please update if you come across anything it seems really handy :]
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...my laptop is kinda diyng so mind posting some images arsh ? thanks !
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I've been using this one for a while (actually found it linked over on the CGTalk thread where you posted your script, Arsh), it works really well for a lot of things, but like you said it sometimes gives weird results if you try to do too much at once.
    Sometimes it doesn't create all edges in between corner bevels, but it's easy to add those back in yourself to make it smooth properly, since it creates the verts but not the edges to link them.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is this available for Max 7? From what I can see on the site it's max 8 only. I'm going to try the 8 version with 7.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Aye, worked in Max 7. Noticed the errors on now cube objects.
    Still, thanks for the hook-up.