Hold your wee for a wii

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
But not for too long:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/

I can't quite believe the stupidity of the organizers. Maybe there's more awareness about this in the UK, 'cos i distinctly recall this being a big issue from a bunch of kids dying from water intoxication as a result of taking ecstacy. Either way, this is a pretty sad way to go.

I wonder If the organizers posthumously gave her kids the wii? /sorry, couldn't resist.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh crap... wow... I've heard that it can cause serious health problems but I never knew death would enter into it. I always figured it would be like holding your breath, eventually your body would win out and regulate itself.

Tragic, but freakin strange.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't believe someone could actually die that way so I went and looked up how it is possible. This is the first time I've ever heard of something like this. I wonder how many people die from water intoxication a year?

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

That's the web address I went to, to find more info on water intoxication. Kinda technical, but if you want to know more about it, there it is.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I remember reading about water overdose back when I used to hike a bunch--it's REALLY hard to pull off...I think it only happens in situations like that link or when drill sergeants are stupid and push their underlings to camel up too much.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    some kids in a frat were being hazed last year and forced to drink lots of water since alcohol wasnt allowed in hazing. One died.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    All I know is that you should never force kids to drink too much water, they can die with much less than an adult.

Very sad.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    “She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids.”

Shit - it's difficult to be hard-assed about this, especially when she had kids..

KDND 107.9 - Obviously a quality outfit..
  • hawken
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I drink 4-5 20oz bottles of water a day, which is plenty in my book. Though most other Americans seem to think they can get healthy water intake through coffee or soda...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I remember reading about water overdose back when I used to hike a bunch--it's REALLY hard to pull off...I think it only happens in situations like that link or when drill sergeants are stupid and push their underlings to camel up too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly managed to pull it off when I was in the Army Guard. We were training in Louisiana and it was incredibly hot. In my determination not to get dehydrated or heat stroke, I drank way too much water. I started feeling sick to my stomach and had a headache. Fortunately we had medics there to take me away in an FMV and give me an IV. A little while later I remember vomiting up what seemed like gallons of water and a little while after that I took the longest piss in my entire life. Fun stuff.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I heard about this, really sad that the person who died was a mom. I wonder if there will be a wrongful death lawsuit soon...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Does her being a mother make any difference to the fact she is dead?

"Hey these 3 have no kids, let's kill 'em all!"
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]

"Hey these 3 have no kids, let's kill 'em all!"

[/ QUOTE ]
    no, but it makes it worse that her children will growup without a mom because she entered a contest to win them a wii... i would feel bad atleast.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw, doesn't make it any worse.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yew're gawddamn right it does. In 'Merica we RESPECT motherhood. Yew've got a lot t' larn, yew an' yer foreign ways.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Naw, doesn't make it any worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick, normally I think you're a swell guy and an all-around insightful individual. Alas.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh come on, it's saying that her life had more value simply because she had given birth.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh come on, it's saying that her life had more value simply because she had given birth.

[/ QUOTE ]
    exactly, how would you feel if your mom died when you were that young (my apologies if she did).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's saying that at all Rick, but this is clearly open to perspective. All people are really saying is that it's a *particular* shame that she was a mother, since 3 kids are now orphans (or at the least, motherless).
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my partner has no kids - would it be less of a tragedy if she died? That's the point.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I think its in particularly sad because she was a mother was because she was doing it FOR her kids. I aren't calling her a hero-in or whatever but for me, it makes it more of a shame.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    great point rick. Glad you pointed that out!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is assigning more value to her life because she squirted out a few kids. I think people are recognizing that her death doesn't impact just her, it also impacts those who where dependent on her for food shelter and guidance. Her life wasn't worth more than anyone else's. It is tragic that there are kids that won't have a mom. Well at least until daddy gets a new mommy next week, gotta love merica!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, my partner has no kids - would it be less of a tragedy if she died? That's the point.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No less of a tragedy at all, but you might be better equipped emotionally to deal with your grief. It's very subjective of course, but as a parent, yes, it made more of an impact on me..
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Rofl damn Rick, why so defensive? Vig summed up what I meant quite well. It just seems a *bit* more tragic, because she was probably trying to get the Wii for her kids, whereas if it was just some nerdy single person we would probably just be saying "damn, that guy was nerded out to death!"
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    What the fuck. Of course some people's lives mean more than others. Would anybody care if it was some bum or Ted Bundy? I mean, Ted Bundy was executed on purpose! From a strictly scientific viewpoint the value of a human life is measured in the utility lost by them dying, so yes, having children does make a difference.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Its relative, to you it would mean a hell of a lot (at least I would hope so) to a some mom somewhere the story about 3 kids would be more tragic to her because she empathizes with that situation more than yours, that doesn't make it less tragic for you however. See how it is relative?

So it would mean the same to you if your partner and a complete stranger died in a car wreck? The story is made more tragic by the fact that she had people who depended on her.

Would you be just as cold if her dependents where 98 years old and couldn't dress themselves? The more lives that are effected by a persons death the more tragic it becomes. Thats the worlds scale and math. Lets test it out:
    If your partner dies it effects you, which is more tragic than if some who has no family no friends and lives on an island, alone, dies.

Think of tragedy as a meter and what gets you points on the meter is how many people give a sh!t about you. 3 kids = 3 points. To use ninjas example of Ted Bundy, that guy racked up negative points. I wouldn't say the tragedy scale effects the value of someones life, people are valuable for different reasons. Even horrible people serve as reminders of what to watch for & how to deal with them. That alone places a value on their lives, not enough to pull them out of the tragic hole they dug but it could be more valuable than 100 crack heads that get jacked up and die, giving nothing and taking nothing.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're having a go at me, right?
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's very important that we all make sure everyone knows how much one is supposed to care about things. If people didn't take the time to relay such crucial data, how could we possibly think correctly?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it's very important that we all make sure everyone knows how much one is supposed to care about things. If people didn't take the time to relay such crucial data, how could we possibly think correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting to see how someone with a uncalibrated moral compass responds when someone lays it out clearly. It's less surprising when people respond with sarcasm, but often more entertaining. What would we do if we didn't have people who take the comfortable sarcastic middle ground? Who knows we might have an interesting conversation...
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a little too objective to make sure everyone's care and empathy/sympathy is measured for each category we can think of. I like the idea of everyone having different values and "incorrect" thinking because without that, we wouldn't have conflict, and without conflict we'd all agree with Rick (and wouldn't have this long of a thread).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    methinks you missed some sarcasm.
  • Nogan
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    3 DJs fired after deadly water-drinking contest: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16660273/?GT1=8921

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't mean to bringup an old topic, but here is an audio recording of them on the radio joking about death by water during the contest.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i don't mean to bringup an old topic, but here is an audio recording of them on the radio joking about death by water during the contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if they will be slapped with a wrongful death lawsuit, charged, etc...
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    supposedly, that is unlikely. there was a story about it on msnbc. Because she voluntarily entered the contest, it is being considered a personal risk or something. Although, the stupidity of those DJs is appauling. They just laugh it off.
    I sincerely hope they feel absolutely awful.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    "They signed releases, so were not responsible"... wonder if they still believe that? Amazing how stupid these guys are.
  • Linkiboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has happened several times in the past...

Water drinking contests should've been illegal by now...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's why these guys are such idiots. I thought it was pretty well known, especially in the radio industry, that these contests are dangerous.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But Notman, humans are 98% water! How could a little water hurt?!

If i knew how to type the characters for a shifty-eyed emoticon, i would.