Home Technical Talk

Normal Map differences!?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Hi all
Im visiting this forum for a long while now. I finally decided to make something that i can also post here. Im in the progress makeing a nextgen game character. But i have a problem with normal maps. Im very confused about the differents between Normal Map Shader:
normalmap.jpg

The RTT Normal Map looks very good but in the XNormal Viewer or with HLSL Normal Map Shader it looks very bad.
Why are there that big differences and how will it look in a game engine like unreal engine 3?

Its the first Normal Map i did in max and some suggestions how i can make a better normal map would help me a lot. smile.gif
Here are some screens of the setting i used for rendering it into the normal map texture.
cage.jpg

wire

normal map

I used only a few parts of the character to test the normal mapping. Here is the full high poly model:
high poly full

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I assume you rendered the normal map with Max's Render to Texture utility?
    Different shaders handle normal map display in different ways, and obviously the RTT shader is designed to handle the RTT-generated normals perfectly.
    Have you tried rendering the normals in XNormal and comparing the outputs, or are you just using the max-rendered normal map to view in XNormal?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    looks like you have to invert your green channel (Y) in the cases where it looks wrong.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also if I remember well back from the UT2k7 pillar thread UE3 actually uses the default 3dsmax rendered normals as an input. You're safe!

You can try to load them along with your object in the Roboblitz editor if you really want to be sure.

Yay!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I think it is what thomas said, that looks inverted green channel...
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    invert green. In both cases (the xnormal view, looks like its making more specular and uses inverted green).
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I rendered it in xnormal and compared it in Photoshop with the normal map i had rendered in max and its like you said, the green chnannel is inverted. smile.gif
    But i have no idea how i can invert a channel in Photoshop?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Click channel, ctrl-i!
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    tangent space normal mapping is extremely sensitive to how what data was used when rendering the normalmap and which data is used when normalmap is applied. Different engines, different tools... might do things different, so expect things to break when taking things from one pipe into another.
    local space normal mapping is more robust.
    but like always all have their pros and cons, just tangent is really easy to break when mixing tools/engines...
    there are reasons why epic, id, crytek got their own normalmap tools as well.

however the break is usually in smaller artifacts once the axis orientation thing is solved, as is now smile.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    ctrl+i ...i feel stupid now laugh.gif

@crazy butcher
    Do you mean epic got a own tool to create a normal map? Cant find something like this in the roboblitz files but i will try to test the model in UE3 with the in max rendered normal map and compare it.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    those tools are probably only for commercial licensees
  • AlexanderLawrence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderLawrence polycounter lvl 16
    We use the Unreal 3 editor at work, and one of the nice things about it is you don't need to make any changes to normal maps generated with 3DSMax or the Nvidia Photoshop filter (or crazybump, for that matter). Just make sure that when you import the texture into a package, you choose Normalmap or NormalmapAlpha as the import type.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx...I did it first without choosing normalmap and thought ue3 supports no mirroring in the normal map. smile.gif
    But its looking good now:

Normal test:
    robot-ueN2.jpg

Normal, Specular and Occlusion Diffuse test:
    robot-ueN.jpg

The new Schematic Material Editor in UE3 is very cool.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    So UE3 need the xNormal normal maps with swizzle coords as x|-y|z? Or do you mean you have to invert the green channel in Photoshop to see it well in the xNormal viewer? Curious! I bet that'0s because it uses the texture coordinate origin at top-left or uses Z world axis pointing to up!
    Remember, I can change some thing if ya need!

Btw, you probably are getting too much specular because the alpha channel of the specular texture controls the shiny specular power ( and the RGB the color modulation ). If you set alpha channel to , for example, 4 of 255 you will get a greater specular highlight point. If you don't specify a specular texture then a power of 16 is used. You can play a few with the specular sliders to make the light to emit less specular intensity.

Also there are probably differencies in the shading equation, that's normal, each engine is a different world.

Hey, nice model Dav btw! I luv the stomach part.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I rendered to normal map in Max and to view it right in XNormal i have to invert the green channel in Photoshop. The UE3 uses the same type of normal map that Max generates.
    So a function in XNormal that inverts the green channel would be great.

btw awesome tool you made! Thx a lot for your work smile.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I see the lil roboblitz guy there. Do you get the full UE3 Functionality with the editors included in the game?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I think so... but its a modified version of the UE3 Editor
    If you want more info about the editor go to this page:
    http://www.roboblitz.com/RoboBlitzEditorWiki/index.php/Main_Page
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Dav, I put the swizzle normalmap coordinates in the 3D viewer options. Is live on the current beta 3.10.0 if you wanna test it with that robot normalmap pls