Home General Discussion

portable consoles

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
ok, i have two choices : PsP or DS

Pros of the PSP :

i fucking love lumines and shin budokai...but thats it.

Cons : battery is shit.

DS :

pros : Cheap.

Cons : i actually have no idea of any decent titles besides the new zelda that will come to it.

what you guys recomend ?

Replies

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    ds seems to have pretty fun games, albeit short and simple. Personally i'd go for the psp (1.5 firmware) not only for the games, but for homebrew support too. Nothing like playing monkey island while taking a poop laugh.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe tell us what kinds of games you usually like to play?

Might help us make up your mind for you.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol sorry , i like games lumines style , original, yet fun , cash gun chaos etc style . I would buy psp only for lumines and shin..thats it . But nintendo DS only seems to have marios, and warios, etc , would like to see something with more action .
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    DS also has odd little games like Trauma center and Elite Beat agents, + Castlevania and such.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    well castlevania ds was pretty rad, I play alot of advance wars on mine
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    viewtiful joe was a good fun blast, castlevania was good, and sonic rush I enjoyed plenty- theyre all kind of actiony. I've kept my psp 1.5 firmware so can't comment on new games there.. though having every megadrive, nes, gameboy game etc handy has justified the purchase in my eyes
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    viewtiful joe was a good fun blast, castlevania was good, and sonic rush I enjoyed plenty- theyre all kind of actiony. I've kept my psp 1.5 firmware so can't comment on new games there.. though having every megadrive, nes, gameboy game etc handy has justified the purchase in my eyes

[/ QUOTE ]

Rooster you should try devhook or the custom 3.03 oe-b firmware which lets you play original games that require higher firmware. You can also rip your psx games and play it on the psp using the 3.03 oe-b firmware smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I remember making that same decision a year ago.

In my most humble opinion I think the DS is one of the best consoles period out right now. The quantity and quality of the game library as it currently stands easily rivals that of the Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii, etc.

It's a fantistic and inexpensive system that you are only going to see supported even more down the road as publishers start waking up to the validity of portable games.

Perhaps the biggest bit of game news this year was that the most popular series of all time, Dragon Quest, will be putting its next real installment to the series on DS. Quite crazy to think of that, even a year ago.

I personally do not own a PSP, but if anecdotal evidence is worth anything, I don't know anyone who owns both that hasn't shelved their PSPs for lack of anything to play on it.

Just take a look at their current respective libraries and the 2007 release schedules. I think the choice is fairly clear (from a games standpoint).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    psp all the way here. but: it really only makes sense if you mod it, so that you can run emulators, etc. then you have a vast selection of games of all genre's that play really nice on that nifty LCD, unlike this tiny DS poo-poo. wink.gif many genuine psp titles are rather lame and not worth the cash though.

3.03 oe-b is killer. full-size video, mp3, vagrant story and FF7 in my pocket... smile.gif if you go this route, you have to get at least a 2GB memorystick as well though, better to go with 4 gig's right from the start. not the cheapest gadget, really.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    DS fan here, better games funner system, feels fresher,

elite beat agents, mari vs donkey kong, mario ds, big brain academy, castlvanias final fanasy,
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    DS: Super Princess Peach, Metroid Prime Hunters, Brain Age, New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Megaman ZX.

Also, you can play ALL GBA, GBC and GB games on the system.

I've had a PSP since day one and was converted over to DS when I saw it actually had games. I use my PSP for listening to MP3s when i workout, and that's it for the last year. The system is dead.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    actually, the ds doesn't do GBC or DMGB games anymore smile.gif

buuuutt, with a bit of tinkering it can emulate those quite properly, but no hardware/out of the box support.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DS.

If you have a ps2 or 360, you can get Lumines for that instead.

DBZ games are available on other consoles as well.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah but unfortunately , teincachi is shit, and i liked ones the one made by dimps ( 1,2,3 and shin ) . So i think ill wait some more input and make my mind smile.gif thanks guys !
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    DS

cool games I have: mario kart, kirby, FFIII, advance wars, yoshi touch and go, metroid, etc.

Soooo many more cool game choices if you get a DS. PSP does have its own cool selling points though. Still, DS is much better and cheaper.
  • ElysiumGX
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    DS rocks--even the simple stuff like clubhouse games are fun to play. brainage and animal crossing quirk titles aside, you've actually got TWO DS castlevania's now, both GREAT titles.

mariokart, Metroid prime hunters, metroid pinball, mario64, the new mario (which is a lot like mario 3), PLUS all those good GBA games...

PSP has pluses, but the DS is a dang well-put-together package.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    DS here too, it has emulators aswell, you just have to get a flash cart, can approximately do everything the psp can (movies, mp3 player, loads of games are ported on it, the homebrew scene is quite active too (but it's the same on psp)

for the games, viewtiful joe is indeed really good, metroid prime hunters is cool too (4 players multiplayer with only one cart), you got the mario kart, electroplancton, the ff3 remake but soon crystal chronicles, you can plug your gba games...
    I'm having a blast with portrait of ruin (want to buy the previous one too)

proted games include flashback, doom, heretic dragon's lair...there are emulators for all the lucasarts point and click games, etc...

I also have a PSP, only have 2 games on it (wipeout and daxter) couldn't find anything I liked other than those 2...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I have a DS and a psp. I play the DS alot more because its lighter, smaller, and elite beat agents rocks! I started playing the psp again, when 3.02 software was released, allowing you to play psx games on it. Playing cotn again but this time on psp smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I <3 my DS.

You can't beat the price tag for the system and the games. True Swing Golf rocks balls and if you were a fan of the first Resident Evil the port they did is dead on from the original.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im pretty sure this is what you really want:
    17.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey you could watch tv on them things
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    bah to gamegear---I was all about the 8 shades of spinach green..!

OR, anyone remember the Tg16 handheld? Couldnt you play the actual Turbo graphics console games on that little beast--like using the same cartridge and everything.?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney

42416.jpg
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Earthquake: I think he was actually looking for this one:

nomad.jpg
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Gamegear ftw. With what other portable console could you see 10 minutes into the future a la Surf Ninjas. That's right, NONE.

[edit] sonic, I remember seeing the Nomad in the back of gaming magazines back in the day and wishing I could get one... I don't think they were ever sold in the US, were they?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh I LOVED my gamegear, I remember watching tv with it during my camping trips at scotland
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Pffsshh... This is where it's at!
    It's so compact, it's totally next gen and also doubles up as a snowboard.
    lynx.jpg

-caseyjones
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I've still got one of these...

GBYellow.gif

I own neither, but if I were to pick up a new portable it'd definitely be the DS. The sheer quantity of games ensures that you'll always have something fun to play. The stylus is great too.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Have you already had a GBA? If not, get a Gameboy Micro. It's portable and sleek as hell. The screen is ridiculously bright and clear (you can tone down the brightness) and lasts around 12 hours on a charge. Some of the RPGs rock total ass on the GBA and there are a ton of action/adventure games to keep you plenty busy. Advance Wars is an amazing game.

Keysersoze: it came out in America, but apparently never reached Europe.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cons : battery is shit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, the battery is not that bad. But there's a few games that stress the UMD drive way to much and that can take down your battery in a few hours...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    PSP 1.5's are as rare as rocking horse shit.

I often play my DS: animal crossing. Just ordered FF3 and Mana, should be fun.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, but there are 2.8 downgraders now so no worries smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm battery has been dissapointing here, certainly if compared with DS (however unfair)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i just recently ordered a DS.. man those things are super hard to find at walmart right now(FYI using my walmart credit card and gift card to get it so dont go saying Babbages and Gamestop and all that tongue.gif).

i've seen 8 PS3 60gig systems and still havent seen a single DS. had to get it online and even then they were sold out for 3 weeks

im getting New Super Mario and Pokemon Ranger. will be picking up Pokemon Emerald(GBA and Diamond/Pearl this April), Brain Age, Elite Beat Agents seems interesting, Bomberman, Mario Cart, Castlevania's, Final Fantasy's Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil and my friend highly reccomends Contact.

so yeah.. after not having a portable since the first run of Gameboys. got it in '89 and it still works like new even after going overseas a couple of times when i gave it to my cousin who's in the army.

PSP seems dead in sales. there were 20-30 unsold at every walmart ive been too (5 of them to be precise).. *shrug
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Currently the PSP is going for as much as a Wii, while the DS is just over $100. Personally I'm going for a Wii first, and will wait for a PSP to get cheaper, but I'm a cheapass.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I sold my PSP to get a DS