Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/N80 > iPhone

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres the thing though Sonic. The n80 looks like an awesome piece of kit, and I don't know the price or the full feature set versus the iphone, and for some people such as yourself it may be the better solution, BUT you're totally missing Apples point. My utterly clueless technophobe MOM could use the internet or google maps on the iphone.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Very true Daz, but would they shell out 600 dollars for a phone? Don't get me wrong, if I was rich enough to spare 600 bucks I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I know my Mom would never pay 600 bucks for a phone because her rugged plain phone has great reception and it takes more than a kitten fart to get a scratch on it. I just feel they should have left this awesome design to an iPod, not a phone.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    sonic: it is an ipod. just think of it as the top of the line in terms of features, even if it isn't in storage capacity (yet).
    the reason why they haven't taken the same design and made it into "just" an ipod is because the touch-sensitive display doesn't make any sense for what you use an ipod for. they've refined and refined the ipod click wheel control+interface to the point that it works really well for the purpose it's built for.
    an ideal interface is to have only as many buttons as you need, and the ipod does that very well. a phone, as jobs points out in his speech, needs a lot more buttons, but not all the time--which is why the touch screen is the most elegant solution for such a multi-use device.
    granted, i'd like to see a proper widescreen video ipod as well, but i doubt we'll have to wait too long to see it happen. apple keeps refining their products every generation, and that's part of why they've got the mp3 market so well buttoned up.

and as regards to yours and others' remarks about scratching easily--no offense to your mom, but i'm pretty sure she isn't the target market for the iphone laugh.gif
    ipods (and now the iphone) have always been designed as high-end type products relative to their look and feel. an ipod feels nice and heavy, they've put a lot of time into the molding processes and such for that translucent plastic shine.
    it feels pricey (and looks great), so people handle them with care, like they should. not like your mom handles an average plastic phone that can take the abuse--with good product design, you can feel how expensive something is. but that doesn't mean you have to baby a current video ipod to keep it scratch-free.
    i'm betting apple will ship the iphone with the same kind of black felt slipcase that the more recent generations of ipod have, solving the pocket-scratching problem.
    with the slipcase, my ipod has been perfectly well protected from scratches, and i can operate basic functions (volume, skipping tracks, even some basic menu functions) without even taking the ipod out. that's not going to work for the iphone, obviously, but it's still a very easy, cheap solution to the problem of people buying a really nice phone or ipod and then encasing it in some horribly ugly shell, which i can't stand. also, the slipcase has the added benefit of cleaning off much of the fingerprint smudges that tend to show up on the ipod's surfaces.

so... yeah. i studied industrial design, so my opinions on product design must be right! laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have nothing against Apple or the Mac OS. I love that they design useful interfaces for their software...decades ahead of Windows and Linux.

But, $600 for a fancy PDA running Max OS X that will still drop your calls (I use Cingular)...no thanks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not that cut off from the net through out my day that I would use a mobile connection. It's the greatest thing to come along, and I really like how they handled web browsing. I'm not so sure I would use much more than the phone/camera, which my current phone does. I hardly use the mp3 feature on my current phone. Now if I could use it to carry any kind of file or even just .sit or .zip then it might be worth it... maybe...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    i suggest anyone not really sure about the system check out www.apple.com/iphone/

interesting
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i still have a boner for the multi touch and apple has a patent on it. so if you want to play with lava blobs and resize your photos with 2 fingers you will never be doing it on a windows product. its the new click wheel, oh man and i cant wait for the monitors with this functionality.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    gauss: you're right about it being an iPod. I guess my biggest gripe is the price. They put it way out of range for regulars, and even out of the range of many enthusiasts. It's just not a "good deal". It kind of reminds me of the PS3, too much stuff at once for a high price. I guess it's a good thing though, because this will drive the price of other cellphones down and technology like this will become cheaper and cheaper.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    sonic you're a little out of touch with reality smile.gif

Phones have become a fasion statemtn and a lot of people shell out big bucks on high end phones so the iphone is in a good pricerange, dare i say, it's actually very competitively priced.

The idea behind the iphone's user interface is quite revolutionary, albeit it builds on the OSX features. It's safe to say that my technologically inept parents would have an easier time navigating the iphone than their normal cellphones. The idea is quite solid for sure.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I find this hotter, TuxPhone
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Same genre different topic:

Does anyone own a 30gb video ipod? What about a Zune?
    I just bought a video ipod for my g/f, and I was interested in picking up something similar for myself as well. I'm not all too familiar with iPods or Zunes though, and would like to know everyone's opinion's on them.
    Thanks,
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i have a zune and have used ipods a good amount too. The only difference between the two that I cared about was that the zune also had an FM tuner built in. Sure the zune has the wi-fi, but since I'll never use it, that really doesnt matter.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's the video/image resolution of the screen on the Zune and Video ipod? The Zune is only 320x240 - does it look bad?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The bigger screen is certainly nicer and I have no problems with the resolution, however if you want a smaller screen that will look sharper, then yea, go ipod. But thats like getting a smaller TV because it'll look sharper on it. Bigger TVs dont give higher resolution either.

Forgot to mention size, I take it with me to workout, but its a bit too large to go running with until I get something to strap it down to me with. Also while I was working out, it bumped up against my knee a bit hard in a low pocket and that bump turned it off.

One last thing, as far as buttons vs. the wheel on ipods. I like the buttons on the zune because I can just keep it in my pocket and push the buttons through my pocket by feeling out the indentation. With the ipod, you have to take it out to change stuff.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet man, that's the info I'm looking for smile.gif Thanks aesir
  • hawken