Home General Discussion

iphone = hot!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-from-macworld-2007-steve-jobs-keynote/

WiFi internet + HD + mp3/movie playback + phone = HOT!!!

I soooo want one, too bad i just got a new phone. I'll have to wait for the next set to come out that have covers for the screen. This is the device i have been wanting for a very long time.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dude, we posted at the exact same time - wtf!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'd like it if it wasn't a phone. Why can't they release an ipod with all the accelometer, dual touch, etc? I dunno it will do really well but I definately won't be buying one. I can't even work all the crap on my current phone. I just learned about text messenging a few months ago.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    ha the rumors were true, i seen a mock up this sometime last year, it was only rumored to be a new ipod, i didnt know it was a phone too. if its under 300 i can see me getting one, i really love my ipod, apple makes the best interfaces, you dont need a manual you can just pick up an apple product and you already know how to do everything.
    only thing that would really seal the deal is if it had a nice camera in there.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARSH,

4GB =$500
    8GB =$600

but thats before your deductions for getting the 2 year plan with them and other things. In the end your looking at about 200-300.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and it does have a camera!! nice

battery life sucks ass tho..

Screen size 3.5 inches
    Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
    Input method Multi-touch
    Operating system OS X
    Storage 4GB or 8GB
    GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
    Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
    Camera 2.0 megapixels
    Battery

* Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
    * Up to 16 hours Audio playback

Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
    Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Captain, I am detecting large amounts of win in this sector.
    data_laugh.old.jpg
    I WANT IT NOWWW!!!1 /voice of girl from willy wonka
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's hot, but too pricey.
    $200-300 after signing a 2 YEAR contract? No thanks. I want it for $200-300 with no contract obligations.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    So, carry the iPhone in your pocket and possibly break/scratch it up or wear it in a holster and look like a dork? I've got a Nokia 6016i, it makes calls and has a calender in it and it survives abuse that no modern cell phone can handle, not even cheap flip up ones.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's hot, but too pricey.
    $200-300 after signing a 2 YEAR contract? No thanks. I want it for $200-300 with no contract obligations.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not defending apple or anything .. but even at $600 it's a decent price. I would never dish out that much for a bloody phone .. But as far as features it offers it competes right up there with the most high end phones ..

Unlocked phones can go for $600 and even many times that price. Heck a louzy Motorolla Razer was $600 unlocked ..

It looks like a nice package, but the durability is questionable and the battery life is concerning. Still a sleek looking piece of kit.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ?? What do you mean by "unlocked" ?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol PS3 is too expensive but the iPhone is a decent price.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    It all boils down to the fact they keep tossing more and more shit onto phones, yet the actual 'phone' feature sucks more and more... I mean, they have commercials saying which carrier has the fewest dropped calls... that's like going around saying "Go with us cause we suck the least!".
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the ps3 dosent really do anything and its an eyesore, if i was going to pay money for something it would be something i might actually use. i talk on the phone everyday, i listen to my ipod everyday, i am on the internet everyday, i play over hyped games with horrible framerates like once a month, if that.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ?? What do you mean by "unlocked" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

an unlocked phone is basically a phone that has been shipped directly from the manufacturer, it is not affiliated with any service provider which means that you can sign up with any service at any point and switch as you please.

To most users a contract + phone directly from the service provider is a better deal, but a lot of consumers would like the benefit of having an unlocked phone. Maybe they want full features that may have been blocked or modified by the service provider.

Justin: We are obviously not living in a world where value of commodity is balanced through the different markets smile.gif. We dont trade for sheep, or favours, or labour smile.gif . Relative to it's market it's a well price piece of kit, because high end phones of that caliber are right about in that range if not more. Phones are like fasion, it can be absolute garbage but it will have a super high sticker price until a few months later when it deprecciates.

So yes, an apple all-in-one phone with really cool gui and brand name you can flaunt is actually well priced at $600

PS3, on the other hand while may being a real good deal for the kit, is rather hefty sum to pay considering the alternatives and lack of software.

To clarify i am not a huge phone fetishist like others neither am i an Apple whore, i would much rather have a phone that is just a phone but is durable and reliable.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, I'm arguing against an Apple product that the rest of the forum salivates over, it's Bizzarocount!

I've always found handheld web browsing more trouble than it's worth, my PDA is basically just an eBook reader, and my PSP was just begging to get it's screen mistakingly smashed... guess I'm just not part of the iPhone's demographic.

My 360 and my laptop don't want to be friends so I think the apple tv looks pretty hot.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the 360 is going to become a DVR here pretty soon smile.gif

They're going to be doing IPTV with it. Pretty swanky.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    yes saw this on the news today. Looks great indeed.

But i'm like some others here, not much a moblie phone fanatic, use it when i need. Perhaps with this the now old iPod drops price =) it's been a while since i'm looking for a 30Gb one laugh.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in the market for a new phone, but I don't know if I could justify this. Tempting though it is. Very very tasty. I'd have to see it in person and talk to someone who has one first before I take that plunge. What concerns me is durability and that screen. scratches from being in my pocket? fingerprints to high heaven? etc...

Now what I'm really looking for is one of these though....
    scr300_700.jpg

And no....that isn't a joke. I would LOVE to carry around a phone like that monster.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Looks hot! I don't use my current phone much but I bring my ipod everywhere. I'll probably pick one of these up once they double the storage and I can fit all my music on it - then the woman can't complain anymore that I never carry my phone with me. That alone should make it easy to justify the price to her. =D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now what I'm really looking for is one of these though....

And no....that isn't a joke. I would LOVE to carry around a phone like that monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the best part is you can shock Luke Wilson with it.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I've always found handheld web browsing more trouble than it's worth...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is part of Jobs' point. All mobile web thus far has been lame at best, and generally not worth the hassle. Did you see the demo at apple.com? Watch the navigation example, using Google Maps - THAT is slick implementation.

REgarding the rest of it, I'm by no means an Apple fanboy, but I definitely think this is a hot product. The price is in the same league as a Treo and the like, and iPhone is sure to have a better interface than comparable market items. The potential for damage and the low battery life do kind of warn me off, and I'm not exactly thrilled about switching to Cingular, but otherwise I think it's awesome and I will likely get one.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the ps3 dosent really do anything and its an eyesore, if i was going to pay money for something it would be something i might actually use. i talk on the phone everyday, i listen to my ipod everyday, i am on the internet everyday, i play over hyped games with horrible framerates like once a month, if that.

[/ QUOTE ] LMFAO Arsh. Quoted for truth.

It's pretty neat. The interface is awesome actually. I dig the google maps implementation and I could definitely see myself using that. I'd be tempted by a purchase If I knew the phone performed well. The ony caveat for me is that itunes is the devil incarnate, and I loathe and detest how it forces you to do what it wants you to with the CD's you buy. That itunes sync shit is pure evil.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like it had neat features, but it also looks badly designed. Uncomfortable to use as a phone, big screen with no cover, etc...

Also, it doesn't do that much special. I have friends who've had phones with MP3 and video play back for a good long while. And the phones are a lot better designed as well... phones.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Very, very, very slick. I try my best to dislike Apple, but they're making it difficult. laugh.gif

I'm with Justin, though. I constantly found myself thinking...

[ QUOTE ]
    So, carry the iPhone in your pocket and possibly break/scratch it up or wear it in a holster and look like a dork?

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think the web browser implementation is pretty special. I have a PDA and internet use is just clunky and painful. If you need on the move web access, this thing would appear to do it way better than anything else out there.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daz, ^ itunes is the devil there is no way not to see that, puts it in a format that only it can read it pure evil. They make great devices but my god they made it so simple to use that it fucks over those who know whats what. If itunes didnt save its files in its own file type, and saved them insted as normal mp3's then i would love it.

From the looks of the phone and its features its everything i would want, but when i really think about what all i have to give up to use them no thanks. What i really want is something that looks just like that things but can play most all music and movie formats. The wifi and web shit is good, but the itunes features would make it pointless to me.

None the less in a years time i bet there will be a much better media player out for me to buy. Really the whole phone thing is just and extra to me.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    TGZ - Try using iTunes again. It's had .mp3 support/importing since version whatever I started using it (long long time). It's just a setting you can change.

Daz - for the love of god, DON'T use automatic syncing. All it takes it 1 check box to set it to manual and everything's cool.

But what REALLY makes me excited is how the iBooks are gonna be in the future. Multitouch tablets? yes please.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    If you're at all interested I'd recommend checking out the intro video on the link that brome posted. It shows Steve Jobs using it and it looks really awesome.

I was sorta excited about it, but after watching someone actually use it I'm really excited.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I don't understand all the iTunes hate. Maybe it's because I don't demand much from an audio player, but I've never had any real problems with it. I rip my files, drag them into the library, and push play. Music comes out. blush.gif

I've tried to make the jump to programs like Foobar a few times and been utterly confused.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Zcubed: ditto. I've been using iTunes for a good 4 years I think, and an iPod for about a year now. I've never had a problem with the software or the hardware. I just want to play my own music... not share it with others or import other people's music or playlists, or anything else really. Simple needs only need a simple system I guess.

My only real complaint with iTunes in general... or rather the iTunes store (which has become my main form of music purchase) is that not all content is available to canadians . Completely absurd considering I'm willing to pay for it just like anyone else.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll say what I'm sure some of us are thinking, just for the fun of it... you're all brainwashed pleebs! laugh.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thirding the iTunes vote of confidence. I've never had it on auto-sync, I just copy custom playlists on every time I want to change what's on my iPod. I don't have a problem with the formatting either, since I use other apps to rip my CDs to .mp3. I think the store interface is a bit clunky and slow, but it's not a bad app overall.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i dont like itunes since its wasted memory. its nice looking etc but what pisses me off is that i cant create folders in the ipod , instead i have to rename the album of a certain songs to create some sorts of folders...but i always carry it it with me ! but hell if i would spend that money on this eheh...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Johny - can't you just create a compilation in itunes, and tell your ipod to use compilations (this doesn't work on older ipods)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i have an ipod nano 2 gigs frown.gif i had an older mp3 player all i needed was to create the files in it and drag etc, and done frown.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And MS thought they had finally caught up with the ZUNE. Poor little ZUNE never had a chance, they picked it off just as it was leaving the nest.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just rewatched the vids on the site. I'll wait and see if someone i know gets one and see if they like it. If so then i might get one. It really does have all the features i'm looking for, only thing i need to look into is getting downloaded and riped movies to play on it.

Does itunes now have a dvd ripper? so i can take a few shows off a dvd and put it on my comp.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Actually guys, its $600 AFTER the 2 year contract with Cingular. It's also not a 3G phone, it runs off the Cingular EDGE network which is slow and shitty. I honestly don't see the greatness of this phone. 600 fucking dollars and a 2 year contact for an 8gb mp3 player with a phone? Jesus tap dancing christ! I'd rather have a 30gb Zune and a 50 dollar KRZR. That way I get a shitload more storage, a bigger screen, a more compact phone that would actually be comfortable to talk on, and I save 300 dollars.

Now, if they made an iPod that looked like that... shit yeah I'd buy one smile.gif.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah
    price= NOT hot

besides... it's from apple... meh
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I'd rather pay for a working phone that's cheaper, I just can't see myself using anything other than a basic camera and the clock.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like i said in my first post i'll wait until the second wave comes out thats better armored and or lower priced.

Id be all over it at 200-300 price range after the 2 year contract. I love its shape as a media person, but as a phone i would never be able to hear/talk to anyone on that.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig.. technically MS has been beaten Apple to this field by a loooongshot, considering the number of windows-powered phones available on the market, and pretty much all of those are media phones... plus they have actual use beyond media with the business / game / etc related software available for them.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I have no real need for such a device, I already have all those things it has, but I rarely have a need to do them with something portable. The only thing I might need is a portable music player for the gym, but I'm definitely not bringing such an expensive device to the gym, somehow I doubt it'll be very good on a treadmill.

I'll put faith in Apple's portable products once I stop hearing soooooo many stories about the iPods dying THE DAY after the warranty ends.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    You know, feature criticisms aside, the user interface is quite impressive, it makes my phone look rather clunky and slow. So if anything, they've done a good job at the interface and the ease of use.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And MS thought they had finally caught up with the ZUNE. Poor little ZUNE never had a chance, they picked it off just as it was leaving the nest.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey i have a zune frown.gif

this really isnt exciting for me, i cant stand ipods and i use my phone as a phone and thats it
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Just out of curiousity, what does this do that's actually new?

I mean other than them calling it revolutionary every other word, I see nothing actually revolutionary.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Verm touched on this point earlier. It really doesn't technically speaking (afaik) do anything completely new. However, its clearly far better than other handheld devices in terms of design. It would appear to be groundbreaking in that respect. It's not uncommon for companies that release new product to lay claim to its revolutionary nature. Its called spin. Look at the shit Sony pull. By very definition the word 'revolutionary' isn't even accurate in the context of consumer product. It's just a nonsensical word.
    But as far as the features go, whats impressive and useful is probably different for most people. Personally Ive never panged for a combined phone/mp3 player. But I find the internet implementation an impeccable bit of design, and something I'd actually use. If you actually watch the video of that stuff, its hard not to be wowed by its slickness and ease of use. Im speaking for myself of course. It makes my windows mobile pda look utter rubbish. Accessing the web on the move with that thing is just a total chore. This makes it look dreamy, and the nifty finger zooming negates the need for handheld specific web content with cut down graphics. The proof of the pudding however...
  • sonic
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I have a 3G phone, it's useless.

WiFi is so much faster, and free!