Home Technical Talk

Alpha problem in Maya

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
Hey. So I'm building a scene in Maya and I am using some alpha maps. When I get these alpha maps close up to the buildings I get this "noisy" type of effect in the black portion of the alpha maps. When I life the textures farther off of the surface, they go away.

Here is the model with the noise :

alpha_help_2.jpg

And without :

alpha_help_1.jpg
I have tried turning off cast shadows and recieve shadows on the planes that I am using, but nothing is working. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    That was a pretty vague question and now the links are broken to the images. Can we get some more info?

1. What version of Maya are you using?

2. Is this a problem in the render or the hardware view?

3. Are you using high quality rendering?

4. What format is your texture, tga, psd?

5. What exactly is the effect you are trying to create, decals on top of geo?
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    does the diffuse/color map bleed out beyond the alpha?

does the shader/material have any shinyness?

Is the noise from the brick texture?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    it looks like some sort of bump mapping is applied to the brick texture... i am not sure what to say.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That was a pretty vague question and now the links are broken to the images. Can we get some more info?

1. What version of Maya are you using?

2. Is this a problem in the render or the hardware view?

3. Are you using high quality rendering?

4. What format is your texture, tga, psd?

5. What exactly is the effect you are trying to create, decals on top of geo?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. 7.0

2. Render View

3. Yep

4. TGA

5. Yep, trying to use it as a decal

[ QUOTE ]
    does the diffuse/color map bleed out beyond the alpha?

does the shader/material have any shininess?

Is the noise from the brick texture?

[/ QUOTE ]

- No, it does not.

- Yes, they the graffiti texture and the brick texture are both blinn's with spec maps.

- I don't think so, if I turn the brick texture into just a standard lambert texture, it does the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
    it looks like some sort of bump mapping is applied to the brick texture... i am not sure what to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no bump map applied to the brick texture.

I noticed that when I zoomed closer in and render.....the problem completely disappears.

Thanks for the help you guys.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    It almost looks like texture filtering errors. Have you tried changing the Filter type to Off for the decal texture?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah try setting the filter type on the place 2d texture to mipmap or off. If the problem persists do you have access to mentalray I'd like to know if the problem appears in that renderer as well.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using Turtle renderer for Maya and the problem is showing up, but when I switch to Mental Ray that problem disappears. I'm not sure what setting in Turtle is making it do this.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never used turtle so I can't help you with that but at least you know its the specific renderer you are using not a problem with Maya.