Home General Discussion

Violence in Video Games

morrowindsky81993
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
morrowindsky81993 polycounter lvl 17
What do you think when violence in video games is brought up in a conversation? Grand Theft Auto? M for Mature? Real life violence that is said to be caused by the violence in games? I think that none of that really matters. Now before you start getting suspicious or cautious, I have something that is not black or white with the opinions of games such as Grand Theft Auto and the sort. Why have they been driven to such things with video games? I believe it is because they have <u>not</u> been taught to distinguish realism from reality. No matter how violent the games are, there is one thing that separates it from real violence. IT ISN'T REAL. Yet, because many children have not been taught to distinguish the two opposites, they have a higher likeliness of becoming what the game is. If we teach them what differences there are, which there are almost an infinite amount, they may start to realize that you can not hijack a Banshee and buy an Uzi at Ammu-Nation. If they know what will happen in real life compared to the game, they will start to figure out how far apart the virtual and the real world really are. Think about it. If they know what will happen in real life, that will almost undoubtedly prevent any misconceptions of how life may work and be a much more rational person as life goes on, learning how things really work. Even though you may think children are already aware of this, there's a pretty fair chance they may be becoming desensitized, which is drastically different to mental awareness of the world and how it goes. I have been putting a lot of thought into this, and I would prefer you leave any thoughts you have about this.

P. S. - Yes. I have returned.

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What? I can't help games be more understandable?
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i don't think anyone who isn't mentally challenged has ever become desensitized to REAL LIFE violence. Sure you can run a million people over in GTA, but if you see someone get run over in real life there is a very real sense of panic about that.

There is a very large gap between your feelings when playing a video game and your feelings when you aren't playing a video game. When you play video games your mindset is on a goal system. Do this because fire melts ice, kill him because he is in your way. No consequences, no fear. In real life there are always consequences. Depending on if you are caught by the law, or even guilt, violence in real life will stay with you while vg violence goes away as soon as you hit the power button.
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you saying what I just said? That is the EXACT idea I was pointing out!
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also in your post you are making it seem like children or people are robots in their way of thinking. Children have very open minds because everything is new and a learning experience. Kids make many decisions in many situations. Most know the difference between right/wrong and videogames/reallife. You were a kid once, or still are, remember how you felt the first time you stomped a Goomba, or ran over someone in GTA. Was your first thought 'wow i bet this is even more fun in real life!'
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you realize i am just 13, right?
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so then you are the type of person you are talking about. Think about what you think about your perception of video games... like 90% of kids probably think the same as you do.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    you realize i am just 13, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    that explains so much...
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    listen, i'm not going to start a disagreement, which i must say is somewhat inevitable if we keep going on like this. If you want to bash my opinion, feel free to. just realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and ideas, and that i will stick with it.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    But of course morrowindsky, but don't post something like this if you don't want to argue for it. You can state your opinion, but at least have a spine to stick up for what you believe. And no, you need to listen to what this man is saying, because its NOT the exact same point as yours.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am not bashing your opinion. i just said that whatever you think about violent video games that most kids your age probably agree with you or have the same views/ideas.

grow up.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Are you actually interested in art, or do you just post here in hopes that all of us will admire you for listening to bjork and playing mc3?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morrowindsky81993, do you find yourself becoming desensitized?

People who are already severely mentally unbalanced are the only ones who fail to make the distinction between real life and the media. In my experience, the vast majority of children (and adults) do not fall into this category.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Is this guy for real or what

"I am probably the only 13 year old who listens to Bjork, Pink Floyd, and Emerson Lake and Palmer while playing Midnight Club 3."

I mean, come on. Nobody actually plays Midnight Club
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone actually listens to Bjork, either :P
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if people get desensibilized playing video games and try to imitate what they see on the videogames as a child is understandable yet stupid , since it depends on parents\tutors to explain that when someone is decapitated real life they dont respawn. Past that age its simply weak mind.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Theres nothing wrong with being de-sensitived to violence. If anything, that makes you more calm and rational is a bad situation involving violence. Video games don't de-sensitive your morals.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, let me say this. I got a NES when I was 2 years old and played every violent videogame you could possibly imagine since then. The Mortal Kombat series were my favorite games to play. Guess what happened? Nothing.

I'm 19 years old with a great job, I'm going to college, I have a girlfriend, and I'm a nice guy.

Correlation does not imply causality!!!!!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    eh.... what does being desensitized have to do with it? do you even know what that means?

and yes everything you heard about violent video games is true, scientists have recently discovered that violent video games cause cancer, baldness and less frequent erections.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    How do we all feel about abortion in video games?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone actually listens to Bjork, either :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I do!

...when my girlfriend makes me.

or that's the excuse I'm going with
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I'd like to ask a more focused question of the crowd here. As I've gotten older I've found myself becoming a bigger fan of the esrb ratings system, and wishing more parents bothered to learn the ratings and take them into account. I feel something close to pity for the older generation, who will never understand games and the game experience. A gamer friend said to me that he thinks the terms "game" and "playing games" are no longer adequate to describe the range of experiences that videogames offer - so even semantically the older generation is locked out.

The ratings system should bridge that gap, as much as it needs to, by clueing parents and non-gamers in to what audience a given game is intended for. If parents understood that not all games are intended for their 6-year-old, there might not be so much grief from "family interest" groups. I think half the moaning over violence in games comes from people who don't grasp this -- who think, maybe based on the presence of the word "game" itself, that all videogames are intended to be casual family fun.

what do the rest of you think?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I think that theres something eerie about a messageboard's ability to persuade otherwise rational adults, that its worth taking considerable time to explain to a 13year old, whom they would otherwise ignore, how a toilet roll works, instead of assuming that if they don't know any better by now, its really not worth the effort.

r.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Video games don't make me want to kill people, people make me want to kill people.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    noritsune - Certainly older generations don't get it. My gran asked me what I got for Xmas, and I told her that I'd gotten some comics (Cerebus) and some games (Killzone PSP). She couldn't understand either, since I'm 30 and comics and games are for children.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    and yes everything you heard about violent video games is true, scientists have recently discovered that violent video games cause cancer, baldness and less frequent erections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, damn, damn. mad.gif
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I don´t know if it´s the games themselves that are dangerous but try to take away a wow-player from his game and he will kill you.

My cousin is a great example. He´d chop my head off with a machete if he had one... good times good times...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I play games since i am 5 6 years old -> I didn't kill anyone (yet) -> games don't make people violent.
    You see, it is just a pure logic problem.

"try to take away a wow-player from his game and he will kill you."

quoted for agreement... you actually see the evil on their eyes ooo.gifshocked.gif
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    I think that people dont seem to understand.
    that Mean disturbed people, like videogames as much as us normal people.

Its up to society to label these people as such, before they do any damage.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well playing space invaders turned me in to a monster and gave me the urge to hide under bridges and avoid imaginary missiles.( at least until the bridge started to crumble)

Personally I don't like violent games for the sake of it, but still play the odd violent game like gta or gears of war, but the violence is just 'part' of the experience.The game has to be fun too.
    With kids and such a parent has to use common sense on this issue, like with films.
    Kids have always enjoyed violent games and I am sure this will not change anytime soon.
    It's up to the parents to decide what is suitable for their kids to play and enforce their own codes of morality.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [valley girl accent]
    Honestly, this discussion is like soo last year...
    [/valley girl accent]

Parents need to be parents and not let their children run wild. They need to teach them the world has boundaries not bumpers and they need to make sure they are ready to play watch and read certain types of media. As for the industry being responsible, all we can do is give suggestions to parents via the rating system. If they choose to ignore it then they have only themselves to blame.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're really beating a dead horse. The topic has been discussed many, many, many times. The general consensus seems to be that anybody willing to murder, rape, or steal was probably touched in the head long before video games ever became a factor. Whether it was poor parenting, abuse, a mental handicap, or otherwise, video games aren't to be blamed when someone decides to be the next school shooter.

Rather, video games are there to be a scapegoat because the idea of a kid getting the idea to kill someone from Grand Theft Auto is believable. Logic would suggest to those who aren't avid gamers that watching someone getting killed in real life, and watching a character getting killed in a video game are one in the same. They're not. They're completely different.

See, human beings are one of the few species that can express what we call empathy. The ability to share hurting emotions with another person. Sympathy, essentially, if a bit deeper than that. We have been taught all our lives that video games are not real, and therefore, we do not feel empathy towards video game characters.

It has nothing to do with whether or not the lines between reality and fiction have been blurred. The person doing the murdering or raping or whatever knows full well what they're doing. For whatever reason, they do not feel empathy. They don't think of it like a video game. It's not like playing Grand Theft Auto, where there are no repercussions. It's that they just don't care because they're fucked in the head, to put it bluntly.

I'm sure someone else has already explained what I just said in much fewer words, but there you go. That's my two cents.