Home General Discussion

Racing Game PC-Suggestions?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
A racer who has had the option to race more often has joined my class recently so now I have competition. I haven't been practicing on the computer as much as I should have with other life tasks. I want to set aside some time for this.

I'm not making any sense. Ok. I race R/C Cars as some know.
Sample. And yes, I know how weird it is the environmental nut who doesn't want a real car chooses to race smaller versions (what can I say, I like them for what they are).

I have a special "fake" remote that acts like a joystick for racing games. I have played through the two big R/C Car games, Big Scale Racing and Re-volt multiple times. So Im looking for something new.

So since RC games are limited. A PC car racing game thats fun, has good vehicle physics (so less arcadish feel), automatic with NO lock brake, supports widescreen, NOT drifting or city based games, and possibly has multiplayer. I'm not worried about real based vehicles, so they can be more art fantasized. I am willing to look at ones that can allow more advanced setup options. NOT a Indy, Nascar, or other sanctioned form of oval racing. tongue.gif

It doesn't have to be a current release by no means. Wondering if that rally and/or gt game on Steam are any good? The closest I can come from my limited experience is the old Test Drive games where the environment was a bit more open for exploration and shortcuts. Though Id rather not support EA.

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.simbin.se/

There you go, these should be the best and most realistic racing games.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    one a classmate raves about is live for speed.

http://www.liveforspeed.net/
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I miss racing RC cars. frown.gif I used to be really into it in the early 90's. It was the only fun times I ever had with my dad. Then the local track closed down and I just lost interest in it. If there was a track nearby I'd definitely pick up the hobby again. I think I loved tinkering with my car more than racing it.

As for PC racing games, just can't beat the old Papyrus NASCAR sims.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I always hear good things about GTR2 and Richard Burns Rally, if you want a sim.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    GTR2 is the best racing sim I've ever played and I think best buy has it for $20.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Racer free Car simulation, All tracks and cars are user based, so play quality is varied.

http://www.racer-xtreme.com/
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Im not after a sim per say. Given that RC I dont have to worry about shifting and using the parking brake. It can be fantasy, I just meant less arcadish feel

Does GTR2 allow you to either xnay the cockpit, or at least have a top down,trailing, or behind view? Thats probably slightly more along the viewpoints I need.

Thats why I loved Big Scale Racing. It has been the only RC game that actually had a view from the drivers stand. (Basically higher up camera view stuck in one position that was locked to your car) There where hints of a #2, but afaik its just a pipe dream from BumbleBeast. frown.gif

I might give that racer-xtreme a show. Thanks Rwolf. There is believe it or not something somewhat like that for RC.
    http://www.virtualrc.com/

Except they make their money by charging you for each track, and have screwed up directx joystick inputs so you have to buy there specific RC sim remote or transceiver (so you can use your real RC remote). Plus frankly the graphics are terrible.

::::
    Hollowmind, this might be a perfect item to treat yourself to this winter. Much of the tweaking without the huge price and ability to basically take in your pocket.

Team Losi Micro T (retails for about 80)

LOSB0230.jpg
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Ah nah. If I got back into it I'd want to actually race and compete. I loved tweaking my cars more but I still loved to race, too. wink.gif