Home General Discussion

Polycount Works!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
In a discussion with tfrog last night, we talked of how a lot of Polycounters get jobs.

Polycount is comprised of a lot of working professionals. The outgoing feedback and criticisms are strong, valuable information. If you post here trying to get in the games industry, you will get a lot of feedback. Some consider the critiques handed out here to be swift and harsh, but in our perspective this is normal, even toned down, as we are used to this at work. We remember if you listen to this feedback by applying it to your work. When jobs open, you are remembered as someone looking for work that was eager to listen and learn. A lot of people come and go because they can not handle it, but keep strong and continue you to prove yourself because Polycount works!

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think I only ever reacted badly to one post when I first started posting here. Its probably because it was an environment texture and I was quite plased with it.

To be honest i think the posts are actually fairly mild and people tend to hold back. When I was an art student they were often brutal about our work, which helped us in the long run.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, i sort of resent negative feedback but try to listen and improve. its just hard when someone shoots you down witha ton of crititues fro something you thought was you best work... but that is the only way to improve, face your modeling/texturing short comings and try to do better.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    what i like is the CONSTRUCTIVE feedback that comes from these boards. people may tear your works apart but it's to make them BETTER. it's not "it's wrong, fix it" kind of critiques where that's all someone says (that's what a professor i have here is like and i DESPISE it). people here know that everyone is still learning and are not expected to be 'Dutch masters' of their art from teh outset(again, like the prof i have).
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i appreciated the strong criticism and feedback. It definitely made me a better Level Artist, when I was making assets. Now i just place art and make effects, haha.

Polycounters are brutally honest, "it's awesome or it sucks!"
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    but as i am learning, being extremely thick skinned is the key to survival. Some people I have met can be nasty without them even realising it.
    I think often I get upset its because I know I have to do more work to fix stuff just because my clever lead artist 'has' to say something because he thinks he should, not because he has something relevant to say:)

Actually I think the crits here are more sensible than you generally get in the industry itself if that makes any sense
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    That's what makes Polycount awesome, the criticism. In the mod community, I wasn't used to getting ANY at all. That doesn't work, you never know how to improve. Little is as frustration as seeing yourself that something about your model doesn't work, but nobody else sees that, let alone knows the answer. <3 PC
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Grew up on a terrible 3d online community (i won't say it's name here as i don't want to sound rude or something, but ask johny, he will know which one is it for sure laugh.gif *buh! lol )

Polycount (perhaps on the same step as Tweak foruns', but that's for a more high resolution aproach) is for sure the best thing that happened to the 3d communty. I don't care about getting a job (if you got any to offer i'll make an expecption thou laugh.gif) but all the hard critics made me a lot better "artist" no doubts. I still love some of the critics i got throu private mensages that changed how i look to gameart completly.

A proffesional and mature ,but on the same hand totally friendly, approach and people talking about gameart as really art are the main points of PC.

(... and ya, i got a few drinks tonight :\ )
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wouldn't be where I am now in my career if it were for the people here - true story!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't be where I am now in my career if it were for the people here - true story!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded, it was you kind folks here that provided much more valuable lessons and critiques than my college education ever did. I wouldn't be a character artist today if it weren't for polycount!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    That it does cholden, but it only works if your open to the critiques given here. If you cant listen to the critiques given and make them, then polycount wont help.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    The critiques here aren't any harsher than the average art director at work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    where else can we see a forum that has a thread where it actually pimps itself?

a true gem.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    heh. true shotgun.
    now what worries me, is posting something, and not hearing anything at all. heh. Makes me wonder if its just that bad, or what. I always recomend PC to my friends who want to get into this line of work. Always say, "Now they don't pull punches over there (here), but listen to them and it will make you that much better."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want a hug, a cookie and to hear how great your work is and that there is never anything wrong with it, post it on your moms fridge not here.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    wooo, the club for internal admiration has opened its doors ^_^
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    All the decent contract work I have gotten has been directly or indirectly from Polycount.

Polycount also motivated me to put togther a portfolio and told me how to do it correctly.

Thanks Polycount!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not there yet, but if I didn't think polycount would help me to get somewhere in game art I probably would never have joined.

If it doesn't, I'll want my money back.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i love this place. It's like gallagher/bob ross mixed with Days of Our Lives and Chuck E. Cheeses.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    personally I didn't join to get a foothold in the industry. i was active in mods and just thought it would cool to join.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I joined because I was looking for a community that would help me learn and improve more. The C&C here is encouraging and/or USEFUL! Such as telling you HOW to fix problems. You get this on other places (sometimes), but here the "nah, it's shit" etc. is filtered out.

And it being a small community, with most of the members actually being in the industry, it's the best place for advice smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want a hug, a cookie and to hear how great your work is and that there is never anything wrong with it, post it on deviant-art not here.

[/ QUOTE ]
    fixed :]
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want a hug, a cookie and to hear how great your work is and that there is never anything wrong with it, post it on deviant-art not here.

[/ QUOTE ]
    fixed :]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get ignored on DA... frown.gif
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though I’m a new person to the forums I can already tell that this place is the best forum out there, for this type of stuff. Everyone is nice really and even if the feedback may seem harsh at times but it's the real thing and I’m sure it won't be any nicer in a work environment. Also it's not meant to put you down it's meant to help you and to help you improve. Unlike other allot of other places. Also everyone here seems to be a big group of friends that know each other and have a good time on the forum. I hope that I can become part of that while I’m here working on improving my art.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    but as i am learning, being extremely thick skinned is the key to survival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth. If I had any one bit of advice to give new designers or artists, this would be it - you are not your work. Polycount's P&P section is probably the single best forum for online creative feedback in the world, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that.