Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mean Head

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Here is the latest head I have been messing around with. I plan on taking this through the texturing process, trying to learn all the new stuff that's out there (SSS) so on. If anyone know's of any good tutorials on those things, I would apprecaite the link.

Spark
meanheadpj5.jpg

Replies

• EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I really like it! my one crit would be the frown-ish extension of the upper lip, looks a bit extreme.

Anyway, totally rockin!
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    My knowledge of anatomy is shaky at best, but the pinching at the bottom of his throat just strikes me as unnatural.

Everything else is ace. The exaggerated lower lip adds a lot of character; I wouldn't change it.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, since the creation of z brush like programs, there has been an explosion of bald guy busts.

It looks great! Something about the ears bother me though I can't quite put my finger on it at this moment, So I'll have to come back on that one. Now, in the mean time, give him some hair, the lack of it is probably why he's so grumpy.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    really awesome expression. All around good piece. The ears got me at first too, they look a bit 'too round' to me. Then again, everyone has different ears, so who knows.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha, fantastic!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey all, thanks for the crits, now that some of you mention the ears, I do need to tweak them a little more.
    Zcubed: Yeah that is the neck muscle coming into the sternum, ill try to tone them down some.
    Neo_God: Bald is beautifull:) haha, I'll add some hair as I continue with this guy.
    Killingpeople: Thanks man!
    Per128: Good suggestions, I'll make the y more noticable in the ears, along with adding more weight to them. Haha alot of areas to clean up I guess:) I will go back over them to try and push it a little more.
    Preciate it guy's!

Spark
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Spark, why do u not posting your heads in one Thread?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh, I guess I just didn't think of that Askhat:) Just considered them different pieces, I will just add to this thread, so please disregard the others, thanks:).
    Any comments on these are also appreciated: Zombie
    zombieheadsmallqi2.jpg
    Zombie reference image:
    mortimertf7.jpg
    Demon
    demonshot2gz4.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Demon is my favourite=) great work.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I just wanted to show an update to the mean head guy. I have been trying to learn sss material mapping and trying to take it to the next level. If anyone knows any good settings or hints, I would much appreciate it:)

Spark shot5do4.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Loving it Brett, he looks like a proper nasty piece of work. Is this the same geo as the guy in the first shot? Somehow I prefer the earlier geo if its changed. This one seems like the top lip is more dominant, and thus feels weaker somehow?
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davett29 polycounter lvl 17
    That looks awsome man. Keep up the good work. On the textured version, I think the ears are to red on the edges. Looks funny. But everything is great man. I need to get up to your level.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, he looking fun=)))
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry for the off topic but the banner on your portfolio looks like your painting a penis haha. Really nice content here and there though.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Daz, thanks for the comments:) Yeah I have to go back and tweak the diffuse/spec/sss/all other maps to get this thing going well, hehe man there is alot to tweak.
    Davett29: Yeah at the moment I have to much red in the sss map on the ears so it looks like all the blood is pooling there, I will knock some of that out.
    Askhat: Thanks man
    CMB: No problem, he is painting a penis, that is howard stern painting a self portrait in a norman rockwell painting that I did, and the site is being reworked, so I will have tons more work up there soon.
    Thanks for looking guys.
    Spark
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I've recently done a high res head texture using the SSS shader (render posted here, I'll post a few more angles soon probably), and I used mental ray's misss_fast_skin in Maya. There's a really great free tutorial by Alex Alvarez on Gnomon website about simple fast SSS shader, and for the skin shader, the principle is the same, only you have more parameters to mess with and more slots to plug textures in.

On your render, I can see you made the SSS work, but the effect of the back light in the ears is way overboard, as davett noticed. You should lower its weight and maybe radius. You can also plug in a texture in there for the color that has some veins, so that you can have some 'inside' detail in the ear. Some suggest to make the overall color very desaturated, if not greyscale and let SSS layers give fleshy color, but I plugged my color map to both overall color as well as epidermal scatter color and it seems to work. There's also this page that has examples of the various texture maps that you can use.

Basically, if you use fast skin sss shader, you can have two specular textures, one for glossy areas (such as around the eyes and on the tip of the nose) and one for overall specularity. The best way to go around it really is to turn on the weight of one sss layer at the time and see the effect that different values (or textures) will give you. Lot of the values in there will depend on the scale of your scene, so the Scale Conversion number under Algorithm Control tab can help you scale up or down the effect without tweaking each radius separately.

Anyhow, looking good so far, keep it up smile.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey fogmann, thanks for the tips, I will try these out. Here is a model I did during our lunch/speedmodel time. I was working off of the hulk done by the great Kolby Jukes! Just fun stuff:) hulkshotsmlig3.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    interesting point per. sharper angles do deliver more punch to the forms, but it's also a matter of style

great stuff spark
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Per128, yeah I forgot to add the y split to the ear, and I will check out more of what you are saying.
    Shotgun: Yeah, where in the hell have you been? Start getting around here more man, and thanks for the comments!

Spark
  • creativicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow awesome stuff Brett! Love the new work
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Demon
    demonshot2gz4.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Do ya mind if I use this as a referance image? Really nice work laugh.gif
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    If you are working with with Max here might be some usefull stuff from MaxEdwin for you: http://www.3dm3.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=69]

ive been messing around with SSS lately, too. But I used a traditional 3 point lighting setup and texturing instead of MaxEdwin's style
    Pay attention to your units setup! Otherwise it will be a pain in the ass.

Cheers

Miguelito
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Creativicious:), Xaltar: Have at it, and just let me know how it turns out. Miguelito: Thanks for the link, it will really come in helpfull.

Spark
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll do my best to do it justice smile.gif Its going to be my first attempt at a fictional character head smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How am I doing?

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=2&Number=125648&page=0&fpart=2

Thanks again for letting me have a go at this, your demon was just too cool not to try doing one of my own (allbe it low polly and not as good :P )
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just thought I would post this thursday speedmodeling piece I did for lunch. Based on Boris Karlof's Frankenstein, though I have alot of work to do on this one ( I will take it further than this ). Any comments or crits welcomed.

Spark franklayoutls8.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I love that last one! These are really great Brett.

- BoBo
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, thanks bobo I appreciate that! Here is another head I did over lunch, off of the creepy sculpture, not sure on the artist. Hope you guys like it

Spark
    oldcreepyshotdf5.jpg
    Here is the creepy sculpture I was working from
    creepyrf3.jpg
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    This head really reminds me of the old guy in Monster House.
  • Mark Dygert
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Man! amazing work, i`ll continue fowlling this thread. Congrats!