Home General Discussion

Big HI! to everyone

I'm just posting for my first time to say Hi to everyone and proclaim my newbie'ness to this small and wonderful forum group. I have to say that I traditionally have not been much of a forum user in the 3d community because I would read posts and threads of others sites and in general I found them to be catty and shallow. But I looked around hear and it seems like a good community of good people helping each other out. So long story short I’m posting here for the first time. I just graduated from art school and now the real work starts. I'm working on my portfolio and improving my game. So I would like to ask one and all here to review my website and demo reel and be honest about what you think and what I need to do to get a job in what I love to do, Character modeling and texturing. I'm also taking suggestion on things I should do and add. So once again hi I’m excited to be here and please let me know what you think!

Graft

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Hey

I recomend you make a page with renders of the models/characters for your website, it would be easier to view your work that way (not everyone wants to wiat for a video to stream - to see your work).

I noticed that you have an info section on your work - it states that most of the art was made in a 1 week or so.
    To be blunt, I think you need to spend allot more time on that work. This is your portfolio and you only get one chance to make that first impression. Spends lots of time on those pieces - who cares if it is as much time you would get during production.. you just need to show what your capable of acheiving with a portfolio...
    The demon guy certainly looked the best- and I noticed that you had spent 2 weeks on him - and not even textures him. I think if the others had the same amount of time and love you could produce some really nice work.
    So do it!! laugh.gif

There are lots of issues with anatomny and a very square feeling to the human characters - that you see in that demon model so I think you are rushing them , not thinking them through as much.

I'd also change the resume.. I am sure there are good examples out there, but right now it screams student.

I hope this stuff helps you, I know I didnt type it to benefit myself laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i would say render on a neutral gray background and NOT on black. make details hard to see
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *starts making a list* Thank you spacemonkey and snemmy for the input. The comment about the amount of time is a big help spacemonkey. Teachers at my school where saying that I shouldn’t spend so much time on thing and try to make it as much like production as possible. SO I did the most I could in a week it felt odd to me but I thought they knew something I didn't. So I will go back and spend some more time on some of them. Out of curiosity what ones would everyone like to see done to the max?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Get images on there. Very few people need a video.

Your reel would be smaller without the music. You remembered to put you contact details on the reel.

From what I saw - you have too many polygons, polygons that don't define shape. Game engines with smoothing can easily make surfaces appear to be rounder than they are. It's likt eyou are trying to keep ALL quads.

now, I love quads, and quads are great for games and fr deformation - but low polygon counts are also great, so its fine to terminate those quad loops off into triangles. You've got a few areas where the polygons look like they are there purely for the sake of quads, and they are so dense you can only see edges and no polygons.

Also, the models have a very square topology on them - they look like a grid with horizontal and vertical lines. Read this: http://www.rsart.co.uk/?page_id=51

(I really must make a proper post about that "Cubes aren't curvy, and I'm no sqaure daddio").

When photopainting textures, unless you are making the model look like the photo, try to hid the photo ref. I know exactly which 3d.sk images you used on Monk Knight. You can apply photos with a highpass filter on them using overlay - that take photo detail and applies it to the texture, but doesn't make it look like you are pasting on a photo.

Haggard Alan - whats going on with his shirt collar? Too much starch at the front, and someone has cut it off at the back. For clothing just look at what you own, and how it folds and how it hangs. Use the interweb.

I was getting bored by the time Alan came along, then the soul eater appeared. It shouldn't have. It's got no business being on there at all. It's just bad. Then you follow it up with your best work -that should have bee right at the strt - BAM! LOOK AT ME!

Self portrait? Looks nothing like you - it's like a create-your-own skater in Tony Hawks - you can get it close, but it's not you. It says 'I wont be able to make characters look like real life counterparts'.

Everythign sems to rotate twice - why? It's going slow, make it rotate once. I was getting very bored -how about peple who are looking at dozens of these things each day? You want something snappy.

There is no 'E' in Gaming.

Daz has/had a great demo reel.
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brutal but honest and very helpfull! damn I'm taking a beating but I have to say I wish I had gotten this before I had graduated. thanks for the high pass tip! KEEP IT comeing please continue being brutal and honest. I will be reviseing and posting as I do so. I think i'm goign to trash half the models i have and chalk them up as learning exprience.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ach, I might come off as brutal and nasty sometimes, but that's simply because it takes too much time to sugarcoat.
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the bitter sweetness of honesty and helpfull insite, I never want you to sugar coat it. I love the brutality give me more of it. So i can learn and do what i need to do; so that I can do what I love doing.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you my ex girlfriend?
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rofl umm no i'm not but i take it she liked being rough maybe to rough?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i'd put up at least some of your work so i'd be convinced to download your reel. beacause i didn't want to download a reel without seeing a sample of work, i looked at your bio.

not sure if this has been covered:

the first paragraph would look better if it were reworded a bit. it says you have a degree in "game design and the benefit of working on multiple team projects". you spelt gaming wrong at the end of the paragraph in your bio.
  • Graft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah good catch thanks man. Ya the still images have been mentioned by pretty much everyone that has posted so I’m definitely going to make a model sheet page for simple jpeg viewing pleasure.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    More mistakes in your Bio. You are going to want to get rid of that comma after the word mark. Also calling the "gaming world" "fantastical" sounds to me like you imply it is fantasy, not fantastic.

fantastical

adj 1: existing in fancy only