Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Fuel pump

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
fuelpumpje6.th.jpg

This environment piece i took way more into account the resources i used on it, total poly count is 492, and the maps are all 1024 x 1024.

It still has some tweaks left but aside from the technical fixes and changes based on crits im happy with it.

Im starting to update my portfolio and im starting simple and i will add more complex pieces as keep moving along. I am also working on my speed as well,this one took a total of 8 or so hours start to finish.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know, I'm seeing a rust overlay on a red chamfered box with lots of seams.

Post your ref. If it really looks like that, find a better ref.

The presence of the normal just isn't there. What's your workflow, high poly or Nvidia's filter normals?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.kzia.com/w3port/Portals/0/images/jocks/Greg/Old-Gas-Pump.jpg

im using the nividia filters,the seams are the techinal issues i have to get to
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, definitely more reference to get a better idea of the sides and overall 3D shapes.

Also, start over with a high poly to make your normals. It doesn't have to be some exotic, wild masterpiece, just big, simple, rouned shapes to translate all this lighting information to your low. Then, you can overlay small details with nvidias if you want.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    also show the image that you used in nvidia to convert to normal maps.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I would say that you need another edge on the corners, it just looks kinda weird right now.

Your metal textures are wrapping around the model which shouldn't happen, thats not normal.

The handle just looks sort of odd and flat. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it just looks weird.

The division between the white parts looks pretty odd as well. As you can see on the ref the "regular" part is closer to the front then the other part. You might want to give that illusion in the texture.

You have a good start, but those are just some of the things I see wrong.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    where is the specular? your ref shows a hi specular finish on it yet yours has none.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed with above crits. At the moment the texture looks like pure diffuse... I'm not seeing any evidence of normals or spec at work there.
    Chris is spot on about modelling a big, simple high-poly mesh to base your initial normal map off. You can do the finer textural detail in Nvidia filter, but it doesn't take long to whip up a quick sub-d mesh and bake that to your lowpoly, and the difference is night and day to what you have now.

Also, if you're going off photographic reference, stick to the reference. I noticed you went a little wild with the fuel nozzle... when I looked at it I thought "I'll be surprised if you can find any real life fuel pumps with nozzles like that" - the end you place in your gas tank is always a rigid tube... you've done some sort of odd corrugated texture that makes it look flexible, which deviates from your reference and doesn't make much sense.

The diffuse itself looks alright (although the seams are fairly noticeable), but you really need to work on your normals and specular maps to make them actually show up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going to use the resources it takes to have a normal map, make a highres model. Especially for something as simple as this. The gas nossle looks horrible right now.

On a side note, advertising that you're a stoner on assets probably isnt a very good idea, i mean atleast if you have any asperations of getting into the industry i would cut that shit out right now.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The map size is obscene for an object that is essentially a low polygon prop.

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note, advertising that you're a stoner on assets probably isnt a very good idea, i mean atleast if you have any asperations of getting into the industry i would cut that shit out right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...

yeah, he'll never get a job.

• Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    The map size is obscene for an object that is essentially a low polygon prop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...

yeah, he'll never get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]
    what is ment by "you're a stoner on assets"...?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    "4.20" Unless I'm missing something else...:P
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the stoner ref isn't a good idea my friend. Even if that isn't what you meant it can be viewed that way. I would not involve politics, drugs or the such when making stuff for your portfolio.

Anyways a friend of mine that I go to school with made something close to this.
    Check it out at http://www.tylerwanlass.com/portfolio.cfm
    He also only used a 512x512 which you should have used.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Uh, I am confused. Call me an ignorant child (I'm 24) but where is the stoner reference? What does this 4.20 have to do with anything? Is that the price of a joint in the Netherlands?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe it's an American thing?
    Whatever it is, it must be so subtle that only stoners would get it smile.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    and how they just LOVE to point it out. Whatever the fuck it is.
  • Gmanx
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    career lectures aside,thanks for the feedback,im just gonna remake it.
  • AstroZombie
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    For the record (and also the sake of arguing with eq and rick), I know a lot of stoners/drug users in the games industry that do great work and make good money. There's a reason microsoft doesn't drug test any of their employees. Not saying you should go around shouting about how you love drugs, but anyone that thinks there aren't a lot of stoners in our industry needs to take off their blinders heh.

as for the model... I don't think I can add any crits than haven't already been said. Update us!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Haha.. take away everyone who enjoys the odd blunt now and then and pretty much every game out there would have no art. :P
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    no worries I doubt youll get drug tested in Amsterdam.

The nozzle grip should be less rusty, since it would be seeing alot of friction. It could use some more math/polys as well. Altough its just a rectangle it wouldnt hurt to post some wires.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    For the record (and also the sake of arguing with eq and rick), I know a lot of stoners/drug users in the games industry that do great work and make good money. There's a reason microsoft doesn't drug test any of their employees. Not saying you should go around shouting about how you love drugs, but anyone that thinks there aren't a lot of stoners in our industry needs to take off their blinders heh.

as for the model... I don't think I can add any crits than haven't already been said. Update us!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha people are arguing with me on my anti-drug stance, holy fucking shit what is this world coming to. Something is clearly wrong here.

[ QUOTE ]
    Haha.. take away everyone who enjoys the odd blunt now and then and pretty much every game out there would have no art. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think anyone is saying you can't get a job in the industry if you smoke pot, hell most people on this forum do/have at one time or another. I'm just saying dont advertise it, its not smart.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I was pointing out that he already has a job in the games industry. I was using sarcasm.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont think anyone is saying you can't get a job in the industry if you smoke pot, hell most people on this forum do/have at one time or another. I'm just saying dont advertise it, its not smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got a point. A lot of HR people are not artists, and are trained to look for certain things when hiring. While they might not care that you are a pot head, if you come right out an make it blatant, they might think twice on hiring you.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    How did this turn from crits for someone's work to a battle against/for drugs (but I'm with you EQ, anti-drugs FTW!)?

-caseyjones
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got a point. A lot of HR people are not artists, and are trained to look for certain things when hiring. While they might not care that you are a pot head, if you come right out an make it blatant, they might think twice on hiring you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn so i guess my old texture for this is a no go also ? Dang!

oldconceptnv1.th.jpg

Anyway this is what i made tonight. I tweaked a few details to make them a little more interesting.

renderzu0.th.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render needs more lense flare. Lense flare is totally fucking next gen.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I looked at that for a good minute reading "I love Werd..." and though, "He loves werd, what the hell does that mean? Am I missing some kind of new catch phrase?"

But yes, needs more next gen.

Gav
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I looked at that for a good minute reading "I love Werd..." and though, "He loves werd, what the hell does that mean? Am I missing some kind of new catch phrase?"

But yes, needs more next gen.

Gav

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, Sorry man I thought the same thing but that's an e so it says I love weed not werd.

I like the new updates though. I posted the same stuff on cgtalk. But I see the updates here. Very nice.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I stand by my bad handwriting,i love werd.

And the lens flare,thats the whip cream on the steak cool.gif

here is the new version

gaspump2zu9.th.jpg

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    lowpolyao7.th.jpg

And the low poly, which is 1312 polys.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thats waay too much polys for a model of that complexity.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I dunno about that Johny, they look like polygonal divisions that an LOD system could chew through pretty easily at a short distance, no? I'd suggest leaving them and focussing on the texture work to come.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are a very funny man. The new model is looking nice. But, I'm only a pilot, what the hell would I know?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be optimised quite a bit, but the general poly usage and level of detail is good. Just need to get rid of some of the useless polys there. Really even at this poly count it would be perfectly fine in any decent engine. These days its more about texture memory and draw calls than anything.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick paint over to the one on the right. Not sure if this would be the best solution but it cut out a lot of polys that really didn't do much for the silhouette.

lowpolyao7.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    see where Jesse dragged up the second vert on the right there... and those edges are selected... just hit LOOP and then CTRL+backspace and kill that entire edgeloop... it's really not doing anything for the shape of the model.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks jesse,implemented those suggestions,model is now 1216 tris,589 polygon.

andi think i mixed up the two last time, it was actually 1312 tris not polygons.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of those extra loops you will want if you're using a tangent space normal map, unless you're going to set up smoothing groups which looks like shit.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    newpumpog8.th.jpg

Finally got back to this one,so far just diffuse.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, I really like the texture work you put in it so far very awesome!

The pump handle could have been done with a lot less polys and the sign needs more to round it out.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looking good, I really like the texture work you put in it so far very awesome!

The pump handle could have been done with a lot less polys and the sign needs more to round it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,as for the mesh stuff ill try to fix it towards the end,if not next model. Ill likely spend the next few weeks improving my modeling as well.

EDIT: The previous image i showed i began the basics on the spec and normal,tomorrow ill wrap up the diffuse with a few more signs of weather and history,stickers,scratches at high traffic areaf of this model like the sides and where the pump goes and maybe a little bubblegum on the back.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing that I am most impressed with is the fact that this thread basically turned out to be the war on drugs, and you didnt get into a hissy fit and yell "POKEY-COUNT SUCKS!" and run off flailing your arms in the air. Thats a win in my book. The new model is looking nice, though I do notice alot of seams, and the round plate at the top looks a bit weird towards the back. The texturing is looking very good. Very, Very nice rust. laugh.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The thing that I am most impressed with is the fact that this thread basically turned out to be the war on drugs, and you didnt get into a hissy fit and yell "POKEY-COUNT SUCKS!" and run off flailing your arms in the air. Thats a win in my book. The new model is looking nice, though I do notice alot of seams, and the round plate at the top looks a bit weird towards the back. The texturing is looking very good. Very, Very nice rust. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

meh,doesnt bother me what people say some of my colleagues thought it was damn funny in fact,the seams are no problem,those i usually kill towards the end. The round part i think is the biggest flaw on the model,i thought id get away with it with smoothing groups but it didnt turn out that way. Oh well next time i guess.

Ill be working on the back and sides today and hopfully finish the diffuse.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    newpump2ka4.th.jpg

and here is the back,im still tryingto think of what else to add back here to give it a little history,so far all ive managed to come up with is the typical wear ,an old piece of gum,some old warning,serial and travel stickers and the lead sign one of the sides. After the back ill add detail to the sides kill the seams and get cracking on the normal overlays. Then the spec and final killing all the lovlely seams.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    gaspumpuh5.th.jpg

And heres the final with Diffuse,Spec and Normal it has a lightmap as well but i kept if off for show purposes.

Im considering making an old gas station environment and making a few other things.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very nice, except I like the rust at the front much more than the back. It seems like it is much more subtile than at the back, it just looks like you went 'meh, that'll do'. Apart from that, it is looking top knotch. Perhaps tone down the spec on the handle. Top work!