Home General Discussion

so...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
i had an idea: why not challange cgchat, out of courtesy and a blatant lack of respect, of course, to a tribute match one where they might correct the horrible shame of their disgracful performance last time. i'm sure they will be delighted to win chance to get back at us and at rockstar for grinding their honor.

quoting cgchat: " ...Now, in the quiet wake of the greatest war of 3006, you could almost sense a unified whisper.... It said without a doubt, Cgchat shall be Avenged!!!!"

sounds pathetic, doesn't it?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I think Shotgun is asking for a second Dominance War comp.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think theres no doubt we'll do another. Probably just not yet. Seems like more of an annual or bi-annual thing.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    we should have a sexiest breast contest.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Do we have to whup those bums a second time to get the message across?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i wonder who would win if there was a second war .. maybe polycount wouldn't be so lucky a second time around. maybe we should just stop while we're ahead.

• Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    impeccable logic kp smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Its all in the name of fun, and it actually helps get this completed blush.gif
    I'd be happy if the next one happens when UT is released on pc. It would be great to have a common engine to get the characters in!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    you just hit something really good tim, I second you 200% on that, having a huge fragfest with all the entries as prize ceremony would be a blast..
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah i third that, seeing as how i'm grinding to 60 and the wow expansion is coming out soon as well...

it would be awesome to have a powerfull good looking engine to throw stuff into, ue3 seems like a good one, i'm not sure ut2k7 is going to be coming out any time soon though... gow will probably be out by christmass, but i doubt there would be a pc version soon and doubt they'll release the toolset until ut's done.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Except everybody would have to model characters fitting the specs and proportions of the original models, or animate from scratch.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome, I just don't think having technical character import issues along with the need for a functional rig and animations is going to attract a large crowd, let alone stimulate people to finish.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Of course it would be a huge undertaking to get the characters working in Ut (as always)
    It may not be directly achieveable for everyone.. so perhaps it might not be part of the competition? smile.gif Just getting the model in game/shaders created etc would be enough to judge the dominance war on.
    I am sure that the motivation of Make something Unreal prizes will be enough to see some of the models to completion.
    I dont think UT will be out till next year.. so maybe its too long to wait for some people?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Why not work with the above specifically in teams this time? Since much of what is required in the real world is communication between all different aspects of art production. Using the idea of a complete ued3 character to work with a conceptor, modeler, and animator.. maybe even separate scriptor? I know a few here can do all portions, but the idea is to work in a team with a short deadline which would be too much for one person to accomplish.

Also, why not open the competition to a three way.. Tweak! Unless your all chicken at the talent there wink.gif.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    If we end up doing full animated and rigged normal mapped characters that fit to UT2k7's specs, then we'd better be sponsored by epic for some crazy ass prizes...
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Skullbox : well, we can also make some kind of "hall of fame" map with all the models in victory pose, as that was a requirement for the last dom war...I'm pretty sure there will be enough assets in ut7 (even if, as rawksta, I'm not sure it will be released soon enough for that purpose) to make a basic castle/hall themed room and align models there.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Shut up, your retarted are ideas, shotgun. noob.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    vahl.. or we can use the Swat 4 engine for the same thing for the time being.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Would be interesting to have each side do a mod, so all of PC work together. Nothing too complicated, just something like making characters and vehicles to stick into UT2007, so each side has an army to fight the war with laugh.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would be interesting to have each side do a mod, so all of PC work together. Nothing too complicated, just something like making characters and vehicles to stick into UT2007, so each side has an army to fight the war with laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd kick ass.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, that would be awesome
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i think you are making things overly complicated.
    groups are usually disasterous.. required groups.. *shudder*
    especially with nothing in the way of prizes lined up. it needs to be open to both single players and groups. not everyone has the spare time to devout to 2 or 3 other people to get things worked out.

while not a polycount challenge this is hot on the heels of the Blizzard contest and i have to wonder how many have the energy for a new one..

i suggest something like a soldier(leading up to the lower ranking officers, the ones that are still out on the field all the time) from the Dominance War.. for polycount this could be the local garrison troopers and for the other side it could be a resistance fighter.

something simple with room for creative interpretations. if you want maximum participation, it's supposed to be fun, not an imitation of 'work'.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why dont you just wait for the next make something unreal contest? They'll probablly have one to hype up ut2k7.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Did somebody say fragfest? mmmm fragss....
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayyyyyyyyy too damn hard to organize, plan, and get people to actually agree on ideas/style. This will never happen.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    so true...

flaagan : swat seems like a good idea...there's quake 4 too
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in for the sexiest breast competition.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I would win.

...unless we had to model them.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayyyyyyyyy too damn hard to organize, plan, and get people to actually agree on ideas/style. This will never happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beh, that stuff doesn't matter, just give them all a bit of the polycount green smile.gif It's not like much of the stuff in those kind of games really fit together anyway hehe.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    We could do a Porco Rosso 1942 shoot-em-up style fight. Make sure SHEPIRO is on our side.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hey guys, keep that idea up!
    i am in...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    A second Dominance War (or equivalent) would be awesome, seeing as I slacked off with the first one and never got anything done.
    Would probably end up doing nothing again though. BAH! crazy.gif
    The mod idea does seem like too big of a task, because a lot of people definately don't have the time to put that much effort in. Plus the amount of documentation and preparation required would be huge!

-caseyjones
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    especially with nothing in the way of prizes lined up. it needs to be open to both single players and groups. not everyone has the spare time to devout to 2 or 3 other people to get things worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think happens in real world situations? People don't work alone in a art pipeline, you have to be able to work within a team. Are we doing ourselves any favors by not once in awhile having specific team based competitions? How can this not be beneficial to furthering our communication ability? Realworld, we have to compromise on our art and balance what others on a team require versus what we can.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i understand what you're getting and i think it's a good idea, but in real world situations i assume that all members are present for their given 8hrs a day/5days a week and have ample ways to communicate(walk to cubicle) and are not trying to pull together something in 3-4hrs a night on the internet while trying to feed themselves, keep their home in order and spend time with their siginificant others and/or children.

just saying, if you want maximum participation, then go with singles. if it's going to be a longer competition, 2months or so, then groups would be good.

wink.gif

im effectively working 60hrs+ a week with my scheduled class time, my Assitantship work and working on my paintings(and that's just to get by, that's not doing things to uber greatness), so for me to try and work with a group of people would be nigh impossible.. heck ive wanted to at least get a concept done for the StreetFighter challenge but havent had much free time.
    tongue.gif

a balanced competition will do better than a specific model type with a specific number of people, for a specific game engine... in my humble opinion wink.gif

and for those who have been here long enough.. you know community mod ideas have never panned out tongue.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    seriously. The mod idea wont work.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah, I wouldn't work on something that takes more effort than my real job.

i say we recreate real world scenes through the eye's of Paper Mario or something like that. (think outside the box)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    A mod does seem like a bit of a huge task. :S

Just an idea though, rather than doing a second dom war with characters, why not have it a dom war to create the lair/hideout of the team?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    how about the general sidekick ? would be challenging , not making a character with as much charisma as the general yet that seems to have its unique personality...just an idea...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I just think the contest should stay the same, a new year, a new generation of generals. Maybe change the theme? Instead of sci fi go with fantasy? Each year we could have new logos?
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    Fantasy generals sounds good; no steampunk (poly109.gif) just straight up standard high fantasy.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Let's make a Fairy tale scene. (for example the wizard from the country OZ, for example in style of Tim Burton)
    Let's distribute to everyone on the character and we shall look that will leave from this.
    In the end we shall place all models in one scene and we shall make a friendly photo.
    "hello from polycount!"
    P.S: sorry if i said silly thing.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    A mod does seem like a bit of a huge task. :S

Just an idea though, rather than doing a second dom war with characters, why not have it a dom war to create the lair/hideout of the team?

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually sounds pretty cool. If would allow other members here who aren't character focused here to be in a competition with cg chat. We did the characters. We won. Now lets beat them again at environments.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    well? yay or nay? fantasy general? sidekick? whats the deal? who's all in for this?

I think i may be in for this one, haven't done any personal work in awhile and totally slacked off for the blizzard contest...
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I might be up for this, preferably fantasy stuff....or something other than sci-fi.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    we should have a sexiest breast contest.

[/ QUOTE ]
    laugh.gif
    I second that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We made the generals now we need to make the rabble that fights for them. Same poly and texture budgets but now spread across 5-10 characters that are repeated into a large mob or army.