Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recent graduate, seeking portfolio site feedback

I'm looking to get a start in video game development and have a web site up to showcase my work. I'd be very interested in feedback and suggestions about the site and the work.

My site: http://www.biased.info

Thank you very much!

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ill be honest , its weird to see a robot with seems to have loads of polywaste and have like 5 2048x2048 texture yet seming its a 256x256 i would start small , anyone seeing that will have the wrong impression.

good luck man !
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting site. I like the layout for the most part wink.gif
    I like some of your work, but I'd suggest working on your human form modeling a bit more if you're going to use them in your portfolio. Your machine based models look good though.
    Back to the layout: You may want to group your model samples together in your gallery. I mean, I know you have them 'grouped', but personally, I'd rather click on a design, then be taken to a page that has all the pieces related to that model (skin, renders, ...).
    Also, as a small nit-pick, your image on the rigging page is over some of your text... atleast it appears that way in IE7. I don't always trust this browser for proper formatting though. Just a heads up
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Work:
    Ok, lets get this clear from the start, nothing here will get you a job as it stands right now. You need to remove almost all of your work and replace it with higher quality pieces as you get more and more skilled. You need to really focus on your texturing, slapping a few photoshop filters on your textures and calling them done isn't going to impress a potential employer. Don't go for filmresolution stuff right away, you need to start smaller. There are tons of extremly skilled people right here at Polycount, pick out some favorites and take a lot of time to study their portfolios.

Try texturing up some more of your lowpoly C&C units, the PK41 looks like a good start. If you use a 256*256 you'll find that you have to be more precise with your painted lightning (of which there is almost none) and you'll hopefully learn to take your time. Using huge textures is a sure-fire way to get stressed when you can't seem to get the level of detail you want in any resonable time. Less really is more in this case.
    Use photo overlays to save time when is comes to the material and general look of the texture. But pratice texture painting at the same time, don't just rely on your overlays (have fallen into the trap myself a couple of times).

Your best work is (if you did it from scratch) definatly the skeleton. I definaly would like to see more character work from you if you can keep it around this level in quality.

Presentation:
    You don't need X pics from every conceivable angle. An idea could be to do one sheet for each model, with a closeup, smaller sections showing of the model from some different views and a small square of the accompanying texture/s in one corner. A good, easily readable site with a consistent design in your pictures your work will help you achieve you goal faster. Year made, texturesize, your name, email and site address are things that you really should have on every picture you put on your site. No AD one can remember who made every single piece that they look through every day. Make it easier for them.
    One suggestion about the concepts: do not show the concepts you are basing you models on if the concepts derivates or if the models are nowhere near the concept, qualitywise. In your place I would remove all of Kow Yokoyama work (by the way, have you gotten premission from him to display it on your page?) and replace the picture links with a single link to his homepage.

Finally, all of this might read overly hostile but I have been in your position once so I feel that I need to tell you what I have learn since I started posting on Polycount years ago.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I always try to write these without looking at what anyone else has written, so that my views don't altered.

So, I'll write this as I explore the site....

Nice site. Clean. The tailing off to gray for less recent news works, but gets too faint.

There are FUCKLOAD of tabs down the side. Thats way too many to present to someone.

The gallery works - the thumnails are a little small, but at least they are cropped portions of the BIG image and not just smaller versions.

The textures on the SAFS look like solid colours with some textures put on - need some love.

Animation - better than most I've seen, there at least some sense of weight.

Work on your texturing, it is by far and away your weakest area.

That being said, if I was looking for a beginner junior artist and I was hiring (I have no say in this you understand, I'm a grunt), I'd certainly consider you.
  • eMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone who has replied so far, I might have a couple questions about specific items you're referring to - I'll ask in a PM or on here, if I can't PM.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    I appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to import some of your models into various game engines!
    It's a nice change from the default t-pose presentation of 99% of the websites out there! Kudos!