Home General Discussion

blue oyster cult concert!

morrowindsky81993
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
morrowindsky81993 polycounter lvl 17
I went to see the classic rock band Blue Oyster Cult last night! It was the first real concert I've ever been to, and I don't regret it a bit! The thing is, it wasn't in a big town like Philadelphia, Washington, DC, or even State College. It was in a town called Hagerstown, MD at the Maryland Theater! Man, they were great that night! I was with my mom and stepdad, and got a couple t-shirts. The reason i posted this here is that it was not organized by a huge multi-millionare company, but a local radio station! What do you think of that? That still amazes me. If you have a (positive) opinion, reply!

Oh, no! There goes Tokyo! Go, go, Godzilla!
confused.gif

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Not to cause problems, but three (largely irrelevant) threads in ten minutes might be a bit much. I understand you have a lot to say, but this kind of thing will probably be perceived as an annoyance. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    SHUT THE [censored for young minds] UP!

post on your myspace plzkthnx!
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the Violent Femmes live in South Africa a year ago. Fucking awesome concert.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    well at least your signature relates to what this entire forum is about:
    "Video Game Artist and Fan Community"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you just dated yourself by calling them a "classic rock band". Please say more stuff that give people your age a bad rep... So your parents dragged you to some old fart rock and you liked it, yeah!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I can't really complain about this, seeing how I made a post about how thrilled I was to see Gary Numan live back in August.

However, you would be better off creating a new user name and starting fresh and try really hard to not post in the same fashion. Because now...you are tainted.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Normally i wouldn't post this at all, but after see that you got 6 threads on this General discussion forum with no sense at all:

stfu.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't realize the Blue Oyster Cult was even touring anymore. It sucks going to concerts with the parents though. I only went to a few before they started allowing me to just go with my older brother. These days I don't go to concerts anymore because they're too damn expensive. Atleast most of the rock concerts are.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    My next gig is Rancid in a sweaty little Edinburgh club - I didn't fancy seeing them at the Barrowlads.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    god, it's a terrible thing to be forced to read threads on the internet, isn't it?
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Well this is General Discussion so I think he is entitled to post about arbitrary things. Isn't that what GD is for?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Okay morrowindsky, here's the deal... there's nothing particularly wrong with what you post, but when you're new and you have half a dozen threads on the first page, people's natural reaction tends to be "who the %#$@ is this guy?!" This thread would have been fine if it was the only one you started (sharing your first concert experience is great, and I see regular members start threads like this all the time), but you went a bit overboard with posting half a dozen topics. Try just participating in existing threads for awhile, until people get used to you, then you can start your own threads when you think you have something worth sharing. Just a bit of advice.
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morrowindsky81993 polycounter lvl 17
    I just can't control myself on forums. it's like an addiction, or something. well, then it would be worse an addiction than 20 years tobacco though... ooo.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just relax man, I'm sure people would go a lot easier on you if you were here to learn something and improve too
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    just relax man, I'm sure people would go a lot easier on you if you were here to learn something and improve too

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. The off-topic forum is pretty active, but polycount is still primarily about art, and save a demand for a Parasite Eve model you don't seem to have any interest in the subject.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to see a NIN concert, but my parents won't take me, and by the time i'm old enough to go by myself, NIN will probably won't really be worth seeing....
    WHo knows, though.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I like Blue Oyster Cult quite a bit, top notch band. I've noticed they play smaller venues here in Washington quite a bit and I've always been interested in seeing them live.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolol.. forum addiction.. you are pricelesss..... i just wana pick up a knife and cut all your fingers one by one.. or not.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    did they have a cowbell?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well Im not here to learn anything :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Try replying to topics rather than creating new ones. If you don't have something to contribute to what is already being discussed, then maybe this isn't the right site for you.
    I came to this site because I was searching for 3d modeling help. I eventually started replying to artwork (with substantial comments), then I started venturing into the general discussions. So far, you appear to have randomly picked a forum and started posting in it. I think that has something to do with the results you've seen here.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]

well Im not here to learn anything :P

[/ QUOTE ]

then you better have some damn good cat pictures tongue.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kids spending to much time on the computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

'To'? 'To' much time?

Fuck sake.....
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry about it Rick. It's the internet; you won't last long if you start fretting over homophonic mixups. crazy.gif

P.S. I spend two much time on the computer
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    definately need too spend less time
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    googling morrowindsky81993 yields a wondrous crop of forum memberships
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    wow man, you're right, the list goes on and on. haha. dude needs to go do something productive.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Could be a coincidence. A google result for "Zcubed" shows profiles on such forums as "Thyroid Disfunction" and "Iowa Offers Some Surprises". Perhaps I'm not as original as I had thought. laugh.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My next gig is Rancid in a sweaty little Edinburgh club - I didn't fancy seeing them at the Barrowlads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please bring something fructis-related to the gig, if at all possible with the words 'you dirty cockwashing sellout',please.
    Not that Rancid are any less good to see live, it's just that i get really pissed off when bands(in this case Tim's other band, the Transplants) think it's okay to sell their music to an ad, making it utterly meaningless in the process. I would scout through their lyrics and see if they ever sing anything about 'the man', and use it in amusing reference to garnier fructis, but really, i'm too lazy.

it's not half as bad as covering Cash's Walk The Line to promote jeans though, since Diamonds and Guns was at least a pretty meaningless song to begin with.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think you just dated yourself by calling them a "classic rock band".

[/ QUOTE ]

lolzers, the 70's are considered classic rock now, listen to the radio! Deal with it you old fart!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please bring something fructis-related to the gig, if at all possible with the words 'you dirty cockwashing sellout',please.
    Not that Rancid are any less good to see live, it's just that i get really pissed off when bands(in this case Tim's other band, the Transplants) think it's okay to sell their music to an ad, making it utterly meaningless in the process. I would scout through their lyrics and see if they ever sing anything about 'the man', and use it in amusing reference to garnier fructis, but really, i'm too lazy.

it's not half as bad as covering Cash's Walk The Line to promote jeans though, since Diamonds and Guns was at least a pretty meaningless song to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, how fucking dare they. I'll not go now.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Concerts, eh? This year I have seen:

Mike Doughty
    Dinosaur Jr
    Thievery Corporation
    The Shins
    Explosions in the Sky
    Massive Attack
    The Roots
    The Pharcyde

In about a month, going to see Mike Doughty and Barenaked Ladies in the same show. EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I can hardly contain my excitement.

And yah, rancid was better before people started pouring money in their lap for the Hot Topic Punk Rock Generation.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    luke haines has finally deigned to play outside london (well, apart from the edinburgh festival but that doesn't count) so i'm rushing giddily to that. Bought a ticket for my girlfriend who has already categorically stated that she will be standing safely at the back. Poof

Aaaaand, i've just this second discovered that Sparklehorse are playing at leeds cockpit on Friday, so i'll see you all there, oh yes
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Concerts, eh? This year I have seen:

Thievery Corporation
    Massive Attack
    The Roots

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you. Please die now. kthx.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    googling morrowindsky81993 yields a wondrous crop of forum memberships

[/ QUOTE ]

this was amusing and not surprising

"morrowindsky81993 has not added any friends into his / her network "

also wtf vista, ringtone forums? kids these days......
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    "morrowindsky81993 has not added any friends into his / her network "

also wtf vista, ringtone forums? kids these days......

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, can someone explain why that's anyone elses fucking business?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's just that i get really pissed off when bands(in this case Tim's other band, the Transplants) think it's okay to sell their music to an ad, making it utterly meaningless in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what now? If the band makes good music, music that you like listening to, what does it matter to whom they sell it? "(they) think it's okay" is such a strange thing to say; it's alright for you to decide how their music should be distributed, but not alright for the artists themselves to decide? If you've decided a song you liked is now meaningless because it is used in a commercial, that's your issue and not the band's.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys even sure it was the band who sold the song to Garnier? All lot of the time bands have to hand over the rights to their music to the record label when they sign a contract, and therefore have little to no say in how the songs are used. I think I remember reading about Dick Dale being angry about his song "Misirlou" being sampled in The Black Eyed Peas song "Pump It," because he had no control over it. I think they did it without even telling him.

I personally don't have much of a problem with musicians selling their music, but I also can't help but feel like a tool when I listen to a fucking shampoo song. On the other hand, when I listen to Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll," a Cadillac CTS V doing slow-mo power slides comes to mind, which is badass laugh.gif.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Haha - after talking about the Burger King game, Keyser, I figured you'd be with MightyPea on the topic of artists "selling out." I shall not assume in the future wink.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as they're not trying to sell me the Autozone jingle on iTunes... "Get in the ZONE! AU-TO-ZONE!"
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surely you'll have to agree that if it's a particularly strong song (as in, it's not just about 'OMG PARTY IN DA CLUB YEH'), you have problems with taking it serious after hearing it promote shoes?

Or even worse: when Michael Jackson sells the rights to a song about love, written by a communist hippie, to promote a credit card?

Maybe that's just me, but then again i tend to actually listen to lyrics and such, and i don't see music as a commodity. A bit idealistic perhaps, but luckily, so are some artists.

Now please don't debate about this for ages, i'll more than happily accept that we have differing opinions on this wink.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, Mighty. Like I said, I can't listen to Diamonds and Guns without feeling like a complete tool. Not because of any moral objections, but because the song is so strongly associated with shampoo now that when I listen to it I don't hear a Transplants song, I hear the Garnier Fructis song.

As for the situation with The Beatle's music, it bothers me a bit on an ideological level and the irony is not lost on me, but I have yet to see an advertisment that has ruined a Beatle's song for me in the way Garnier ruined the Transplant's song. When I hear "Revolution," I don't think of Nike, I think of an awesome Beatle's song.

There's also the fact that most of the music I listen to would never be used in an advertisment anyway. I doubt we'll ever hear any Tool or Primus in a McDonald's commercial. I guess the company that makes KY Jelly might be interested in using "Stinkfist" or "Prison Sex," but other than that I can't think of anything.