Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cowboy thing

dkorch
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
dkorch polycounter lvl 17
Updated 10_04_06, at the bottom

Hi All I did some more stuff on this guy, so just decided to edit my first post and put it here.

here ya go.

Very Basic Texture placement layout just to get an idea.

cowboycolorlayoutwi9.jpg

cowboynormalmaplayoutqw6.jpg

cowboywirelayoutwk1.jpg

Some Crits would be awsome, thanks all. <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Post-apocalypse Nali?
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure what a Nali is, but yea I suppose you could say post apocolyptic...I was going for zombie cowboy vampire. basically I was thinking up a character that would be cool for dark watch...
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guess I have to reply to get it to bump up after I edited an update for my first post.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nalis are the four armed neutral fellas from the original Unreal.

Peculiar look fellow you've got here. The massive upper-right arm throuws the balance off a bit which the slant on the lower torso accentuates. To keep that extra weight balanced he'd probably be better to have the lower torso leaning in the opposite direction. Tilting the entire torso mass to the left may alleviate the problem a little but a bit of restructuring might be a better option.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    per - that 4-armed alien cowboy kicks ass smile.gif lol
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    An alien western would kick ass in IMO. Kinda like the movie Serenity.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jack, thanks for the crit...actually what I think im going to end up doing is adding a fat leg brace to his left leg to bring some more balance to it...also when I rig it I will have him leaning to his right to show some more weight from that big arm...

other then that anyone have any ideas or crits...I really wanna make this guy bitchin.

and thanks for the thread jack per haha. my guy would so win though=p thats funny though, is that your character?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks like a terrible copt and paste. make the two torsos one. Like Goro
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IIRC Thats skrubbles's guy, and i disagree, his wins!

You've got some very funky geometry going on here, the largest arm has some really strange quads(beveled bycep?!) In general the anotomy could use a lot of work and the normals map looks horrible. Did you paint it or was it generted?
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wouldnt say illterate just in a rush, didnt even see the name under there haha, o well.

I thought I sold the idea that the arms were stiched on a little better, but I can definatly go back and work out the normal map more and fook with some geometry too give that impression.

basically its suppose to be random arms from other people that have been crudly stiched and staked on to the body and extra ribs added on the right side so that the lower right arm muscles have areas to attach too. I wanted him to be very assymetrical and grotesque looking. The varying arms I think will read a little better to with an actual texture on there showing different skin tones but I understand what you all are saying and I will go back and work out some stuff to help it read better.

EarthQuake, any certain parts of the anatomy that you
    believe are not working?

thanks for the crits all, very good to hear. anything else is much appreciated.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the arms are the biggest part that stands out, where the byceps seem to be pointing upwards. His wrists would have to rotated for the byceps to look like that. Upper arms specificly the lower are not as bad.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea I see what your saying. that actually works right properly, it just looks weird and isnt the most comfortable way to put your arm haha. I think the wrist should be rotated up a little bit though.

if I go back and redo that normal map im gonna rotate the arm or wrist back for sure though.

haha, I have no idea why I modeled it that way to be honest, I think I just wanted to try something new ya know=p heh o well. thanks for pointing it out though, much appreciated. any other areas that look weird to you?

again thanks for all the input everyone, its helping a ton.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all thanks for the crits earlier. I went back and fixed such as the length of the torso and how the arms twisted and a few other things. added some other stuff like the leg brace, and a few bandage straps for when I texture it, but they really helped out the siloute. Im gonna take it into zbrush again here soon, but just wanted to see what you all thought and get some crits.

Thanks again everyone, and dont be afraid to rip it apart.

layoutbe2.jpg