Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT2004 Player Model - Nali War Cow

Hi all, I was registered here years back but can't remember what it was and doubt I had anything meaningful posted back then. tongue.gif

Anyway, decided to have a go at remodlling the NaliCow for UT2004.

It's early days yet , and I'd apreciate some criticism. I'm reasonably happy with the proportions, though the legs are something I'm in two minds about, whether to make them thicker and shorter like the original cow, or keep them long, thin and splayed like they are now to give it more scope for animations further down the line.

I'm aiming for a superdeformed look with the small body and large head, and hopefully it works. smile.gif

Wires

progresswires_07-09-06.jpg

Smothing Groups and comparison with original UT cow.. progreshots_07-09-06.jpg

Replies

• ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    I think u could move back a litle bit the legs. And if u are aiming for the animations give her a longer tail. And dont forget the gun support. Good work!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I rather like the original sillouette better, he seems to carry his weight more believably, whereas your interpretation looks cartoonish. You'd do well to shape your head a bit more like the original, as now its very blocky. Also, tilt those ears back! The legs lack any definition as they come out of the body, giving it a play-doh effect. Its a good start, but for the amount of polys you've got, you should be getting a lot more detail.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet.
    I like the one already out, but this is much better.
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

[ QUOTE ]
    I think u could move back a litle bit the legs. And if u are aiming for the animations give her a longer tail. And dont forget the gun support. Good work!

[/ QUOTE ]

Move the legs futher back on the body towards the tail?

Yeah, the gun support, I'm going to play with some sketches maybe - I'm trying
    to think of ways to accomodate the akimbo weapons. I was thinking of maybe
    having them extended to the sides, or stacked on top of each other vertically.

[ QUOTE ]
    I rather like the original sillouette better, he seems to carry his weight more believably, whereas your interpretation looks cartoonish. You'd do well to shape your head a bit more like the original, as now its very blocky. Also, tilt those ears back! The legs lack any definition as they come out of the body, giving it a play-doh effect. Its a good start, but for the amount of polys you've got, you should be getting a lot more detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stylewise- this is my big inspiration -

http://machall.com/gallery/index.php?galleryID=2&artID=9

I love this model/texture - and am aiming to do something half-way between this
    and the style of the original cow - hence the big blocky nose. smile.gif

I'm still new to modelling organics stuff, so I'm probably not doing this in a
    correct way - I basically started with very low polygon model to get the basic
    dimensions, then meshsmoothed piece by piece, I made probably far too my
    polygons with the seam in the middle from where I'd modelled one side and
    mirrored it.

earlyshot_07-09-06.jpg

One thing though, and this applies to the legs / ears, when you're modelling
    something , do you model it in the 'bind pose' or adjust things later? I've
    kept the legs fully stretched and dangling, and the ears all perky and upright
    ready to put bones in and manipulate them to the correct places in animation- so
    should I keep modelling them fully extended as they are , or pose them to where
    they would be so I can get the 'weight' of the model right?

I've had a quick go at optimising some ares of the head - where would you draw
    the line normally with game models - say if you got some detail that's only
    raised the equivilant of 2px-4px off the surface, would you flatten out/use
    bigger/less polygons and add the detail on the texture instead?

progresswires_08-09-06.jpg
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on the mesh, tryied to get more definition in the legs like mentioned, I also gave him propper coven hooves and cleaned up some more extranious polys where I could.

progresswires_09-09-06.jpg

My only problem now is rigging him, I had a look at how all the original UT2003 models were done, and they're all based of the pre-made 3dsmax biped.

I must've spent an hour this morning trying to bend , scale and rotate the biped into place, but it seems wasteful to have all these extra bones flying round that can't be used (or deleted). I did a quick experiment also with breaking an IK chaing using boxes as bones, and that worked quite well, but didn't export via Actor X.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty obvious that you meshsmoothed a low poly version instead of actually putting in the cuts you need yourself. So you've got a lot of detail in areas that don't really need it and you're lacking detail in areas that do.
    For example:
    The knee (or knee area) joint has only one edge loop. So it wont deform very well and will have a very pointy/pyramidal knee when it bends. You could easily remove a loop or two from the neck area to use for the knees if you're worried about the poly count.
    While we are on the topic of the knee, the original cow has standard bending legs (knee joint at the front), yet in your version the cow has chicken legs (knee joint a the back). Was this intentional?
    The head is very square as Sectaurs pointed out in an earlier post, which I don't think you paid much attention to. If you're happy with the blocky look, then you could easily remove a few loops from there to save on polys, but personaly I'd round it off a little and give the head some shape and character.
    The way the leg joins the body looks wrong, have a look at some reference images, even the original cow model is great to get the leg looking right.
    Here's a quick paintover showing the things I mean, plus a little more. Hope it helps.
    SabbyCow001.jpg
    Good luck with the model, it has a lot of potential.

-caseyjones [image]ttp://www.itsonlikedonkeykong.net/polycount/paintovers/SabbyCow.jpg[/image]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why not go all out and build the nostrils and a fully articulated mouth and tongue for this guy and really detail up the engine-harness thing?

If you're basing your design on the version on mac hall (or even if not) the current legs aren't really functional and lack a knee joint above the ankle (thats the joint in the middle of the limb in this case).
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thnks for the crits! smile.gif

I'd been reading Poops tutorial on loops and have added to the knees, I've also reworked the face.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned I'd not considered and will try work on over the weekend.

rgggggggggggguntitled5ci6.jpg
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a quick go at rigging in milkshape (I've yet to fully understand the complexities of Max bones) to try and get the legs bending correctly.

For anyone reading this - is it better to model legs/arms straight, and then bend/pose later for animations, or should I model the cow with the legs bent , then straighten them out for rigging later?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, I love it, man.
    Keep it up.
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying my best to take in as much of what Casey said as possible. I'm still unsure about the legs, I need to rig him and pose him so I can see if they look right when bent. At the moment they're just hanging down fully extended.

cowocwocwvq4.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    the best way to model for rigging is a matter of opinion, however one large camp of opinion is that you should model your character at rest, so with a slight bend in most joints. Model them as if they were standing there normally, gravity included, then rig that and it will deform more naturally too.
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, took your advice and modelling him relaxed and standing as if he was resting.

erigherugheruigheriugherg789h39g093h8943grihg3hg03g0esd7.jpg
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, tweaked the body around a lot, trying to make his legs /neck more defined, and tweaked the nose a little.

Also built a rought shape for the back pack, but am still trying to think of a way to keep it looking like the original cow and allow for akimbo weapons. tongue.gif

progresswires021006ji5.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I lost my login, and had to re-register.

Had decided to dig this out again to see if it would be possible to re-detail for UT3, however seeing how much work lay ahead fixing the flaws in the existing model, I made the decision to start again from scratch.

Side by side are the old cow, and the new cow. smile.gif

nalicow_ut3_wip_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You, my friend, have all the support I can possibly give you.
    For fucksake, do this
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay!

I added some ears.

Iso render - Cow_iso_by_JohnnySix.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    lol great stuff! i would make the places where the ears meet the head a bit wider though.
    some reference if found :P
    http://www.vrijheids.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/cow.jpg
    http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/animals/cows/cow_1.jpg
    http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~fbmac/Big/GokNeusKoe.jpg
    are you gonna model the horns, or is he gonna be one of those poor bio-industry cows.. poor bastard tongue.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    So where are the udders???

And we would like to see this finished sometime.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a nali cow, it doesn't have udders. I assume it's more of a goat like nipple system, or something fo
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, in the Original Unreal (upon which the subsequent Uneal Tournament model was based - literally, with the simply adding a backpack to and re-animating the original mesh), it was a reptillian kind of creature, that made vaguely cow-like noises and grazed grass. smile.gif

So yeah, it's sorta like a very stumpy, two-limbed velociraptor.

I am hunting around the interweb for someone to buddy up with for rigging this character, I doubt I can manage this alone , the normal mapping will be troubling enough for me! grin.gif

Thanks for the ref Japhir - I'll use it, he is at least a little be bovine in shape of his stumpy, blunt-nosed head.

ROFL - just looked, awesome images! laugh.gif

With the ears - should I then champher verts and attach them to the head, or would it be best to leave them separate?

I'll be using this as a basemesh in mudbox - so is it best to have it 'watertight' or can I have the odd bit of geometry intersecting?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    "goat like nipple system"

awesome.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd attach the ears, and make it "watertight" as you say it :P makes sculpting/texturing easier IMO.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress , am not sure what to do about the feet, whether to go with hooves like the old cow , more more claw-like, somewhere between a birds claw and an elephants foot.

nalicow_ut3_wip_2_by_JohnnySix.jpg

nalicow_ut3_wip_4_by_JohnnySix.jpg
    nalicow_ut3_wip_3_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Made the ears watertight, added some more detail to the legs.

The profile is already looking a lot more detailed that the previous one with half the polys, so taking into consideration all the crits of the previous one (especially the legs!), this should turn out far superior. Depending on final polycount, and if I can find someone to buddy up with to animate it, I might do both UT2004 and UT3 versions, as the difference in polycounts should be negligable.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I like the way the hooves look, but I believe the original had some sort of elephant foot thing going on.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, he did - it was based on this model (in UT they only added a back-pack, new skin and new animations!)

cow.gif

Yeah, I'm leaning towards something like this I guess, maybe with slightly more protruding claws. smile.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i like the cows little toes in the first unreal.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i would make the places where the ears meet the head a bit wider though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I had a play, made it a little wide, looks pretty nice now I reckon.

cow_ears_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    the head still remains ugly boxy
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking better, though i think you could define the shape much more. I did my first paintover EVER to illustrate what i mean. it's pretty subtle though.
    cowpaintoverwg1.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, yeah, see what you mean. At the moment I'm leaning more towards the reptile - but aiming at some middle ground 60% reptile, with 40% hints of cow.

nali_feet_1_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Feet progress with direction from leilei. Still trying to optimise polygon use.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Complete cow - have tried messing with the ears a bit..

nalicow_ut3_wip_5_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, I like how it's more of a dynamic action cow as opposed to it's docile, unreal counterpart. Maybe make the ear connections to the head a bit thicker?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm not sure where to go next - whether to go the whole hog and start modelling a whole shedload more detail into it, or save the polygons for the intricate stuff on the back-pack, and let the normal maps handle all the eye/mouth stuff?

Had a quick play mocking up colours and eye placement.

nalicow_ut3_wip_6_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how the eye is just all white and round, it makes it look funny.
    The colors are also nice, perhaps a bit darker of brown
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick zbrush experiment!

nalicow_ut3_wip_7_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha looks scary
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick play sketching out in zbrush, think the claws and muscles work, but the mouth looks odd.

nalicow_ut3_wip_8_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face looks...
    Very very odd.
    I've always been a fan of the "MOuthless" cow
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, yeah, I wanted to animate it a bit, for when he moos for a taunt.

Another quick play with a more dinosaur type head :

nalicow_ut3_wip_9_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hahaha looks scary

[/ QUOTE ]
    indeed
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great. I dont like the whole moth open thing. But everything else is cool
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    UT2004 doesn't natively support normal maps. So the zbrushing would be rather pointless unless you plan to bake a texture down or something.

I gotta tell you that it doesn't really look anything like the nali war cow aside from the general form. Just look at the original model. The face was more bat-like, the hooves were taller and more bovine than claw-like, and the face you have zbrushed looks like it lost it's dentures.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/05/42/177042.jpeg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, should change the title really.. It's going to be a UT3 model - the current zbrushes are just quick concepts really. Until I get some serious free time, I've only got an hour here and there to experiment. smile.gif
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAIL?

Tried importing to mudbox, and he grew an asteroid belt.

cow_fail_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [updated, took some screens from the Uneal 1 editor] - this was the kinda of cow I'm aiming at, but with two extra claw-like things :

Unreal_1_Nali_Cow_by_JohnnySix.jpg

The cow from the original unreal (same model, different skin).
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message