Home General Discussion

The Official "Flaagan's Taking A Road Trip" Thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
The Official "Flaagan's Taking A Road Trip" Thread!

- or -

Corvette's North!

Attention all West Coast polycounters! Starting October 1st your dreams of meeting the one and only Flaagan will come true!

Everything's up in the air and pretty much flexible at this point as far as scheduling, but here's the facts I do know:

- I will be heading out due North from Cupertino, CA on Sunday, October 1

- My trip will take me from here to Vancouver and back

- I want to meet up with as many of the PC'ers as poosible, along the coast or slightly inland

- I'm guessing on the Northbound part of the trip lasting up to a week (possibly staying over a night or two in both Oregon and Washington), but that's totally flexible

- I plan on staying a week or so (again, totally flexible) in the Vancouver area

- I'm all for meeting up with people again (or people I missed on the way up) on my return trip

- Drinking / partying I'm totally down for (in fact, this is expected of you crazy Polycounters!). I'm not an uber-tourist, but hey, I'm all for seeing the sights!

- If you work at a company, I'd love to get a tour and meet the people there; if this isn't possible, bring 'em along and we'll all go get drinks or dinner or hit up the town.

As far as 'places to stay', an offering of a couch is always welcome. I have relatives in Seattle and Vancouver that I can possibly stay with if nothing else is available.

So let's get with the getting and lemme hear from who's interested. Names, addresses, contact info, etc can be sent to james@flaagan.com.

If anyone wants to chat with me beforehand or during the trip, I'll be online whenever possible. If you don't have my MSN/AIM/ICQ/YIM contacts, just drop me an email. smile.gif

<font color="red"> * Side Note * </font>

I was thinking of bringing something along for everyone to sign. Any ideas? Possibly something to hang on the wall when I get back. I was thinking a sheet of metal (welding is a hobby of mine), but any other good ideas?

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff dude. smile.gif When you get to Vancouver it'd be great to have another polycounter meet with all of the PC'ers in the area. I'm totally up for that (or anything else that might end up happening really).
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    (or anything else that might end up happening really)

[/ QUOTE ]
    ... like a water balloon fight... with the uber cool green & black balloons? nerd.gif

Looking forward to meeting you Flaag and checking out the sweet wheels!

-DK =^..^=
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    DK: if i do not see a pic of flaagan wearing kitty ears i will be sorely upset.

XD
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulk: yah, was talkin with Keg about the idea of another V,B.C. PC meet (enough acronyms for you?). I dig it. smile.gif
    (Also goes for everyone else in the other areas!)
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    I'd totally meet up with you, but the problem is, all the other PCers around my area (and most of them in general) are of or over the age of 21. I'm not, my birthday was just the other day, with the ripe age of 19. So, I probably wouldn't be able to do much.

Have a safe trip though! Hope you have lots of fun and get a butt-load of new memories.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Dude. Your totally welcome to meet us Seattle Polycounters. Don't let those stuckup east siders try to lure you over. wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pfhor, don't let that stop yah from hangin out, man! smile.gif
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the ripe age of 19

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's facinating to me that you're only a 2.5 hour drive away from being legal icon_arrow.gif
    (just picture that pointing northwards though, eh? smirk.gif)

-DK =^..^=
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I emailed you dude, hit me up on IM and us Seattle area PCers should have a get together when you're swingin through. East siders too! Vig, Oxy, TheGodZero, Okkun, Pfhor, etc get over hurrr!
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dude. Your totally welcome to meet us Seattle Polycounters. Don't let those stuckup east siders try to lure you over. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

stuck up eh?
    I just live here cuz it's close to work. Would rather not have to take 405 everyday....
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Denial is a sticky place ^.^ (jk jk!)

Dude, I'm totally down. This sounds fun.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We should try and combine a Seattle and Vancouver meet-up. I have a car and wouldn't mind driving 4 other people.

*coughs*
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    ohhh seattle trip, i'd be down for that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    *crickets*
    Erm, hello?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan, up here? Oh shit, guess its time to head to the hills then...

If all else fails you might be able to stay at my place for a night while in town.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hell yea, get the Vancouver Canuckians down here! It'll be interesting to see who'll drink who under the table!!!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    That almost sounds like a challenge ebagg. :|

I'd totally be down for a seatle trip. It's one of the places I've wanted to check out since I moved here.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest fellas. That border patrol can be pretty anal these days. If anything we should go up to vancouver (ok yes, I want a excuse to go to such a awesome city). Even then without a passport, you need to bring your actual birth certificate.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Bring it Tulk!!!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So where are the rumored Oregonian Polycounters... or am I gonna have to blaze a trail through their state without sayin 'hi'. tongue.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I google mapped a route for you to come visit me on your trip.

easttripwd4.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astrozombie and bios are in portland last I heard flagaan. Try IM them.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee.. I like the timing on that trip.. could definitely do it in less than that though. laugh.gif

Oxy.. good point, I'll drop them a line! Anyone else you can think of?
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    I'm back in Seattle now, but gimme a shout when you're coming through the area, I'd love to go grab a beer or something.

yahoo = biosrev2
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yah, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to query as to how anal the cops are in your areas. Traffic cruises around 75-85 in these parts...
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    5 above the limit - you're most likely just fine.

6-10 above the limit - okay...but you're taking chances.

11 or more above the limit - inevitable ticket if you aren't vigilant

CHP is WAY more lenient (cept at speed traps) than the washington highway patrol, at least in my experience.

i think if you go with the flow of traffic, you'll be fine.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like I wont be getting as good a gas mileage as I could. The '86 actually gets better gas mileage the faster I go! crazy.gif

Be sure to be sending me addresses and contact info people! Got my map software loaded up and plotting away locations. I realize I'll probably be around a lot of you when you've got workdays, but if you've got time to take me to / show me the local places, or go check anything in particular out, let me know! I'd much rather check out the local hangouts and fun places to visit than be generic tourist #934312 at the local tourist trap! cool.gif
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    if you visit Lee i would be on the way! YAY IOWA!!!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Stop by and I'll make you lunch and give you goodies for your trip before you leave the Bay Area.

Stop by george WA and see the gorge, it's amazing.

-R
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pak, sounds like a plan. smile.gif

Natural stuff I'm down for seeing... as long as I don't get stuck in the parking lot like I did at the Grand Canyon. laugh.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hey I just went to a concert at the gorge! Dunno if I'd recommend it for sightseeing though....unless there was a hiking path I didn't see...
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    the gorge, while amazingly beautiful, is quite far to go if you're looking at staying near large-ish cities. it's three hours from seattle, and 5 from portland, and the biggest city near there is Ellensburg.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, well then, I'm sure I'll be seeing plenty of nice sites along the way, so no big loss if it's too outta the way. smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a lil bumpin' reminder! Roughly 2 weeks til I hit the road! Still need addresses and phone numbers from people, and what's gonna be happenin~.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    i'll start a thread once I know when you'll be in vancouver concerning the vancouver meetup.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another update~

Had a bit of a scare on Wednesday what with the vette suddenly overheating and shutting down on me; turns out there was a pinhole leak in the radiator. Fixed it with some Alumaseal and so far everything appears good with that. Going to be dropping the vette off for a 120,000 miles service, also going to have them pressure check the radiator, plus check out a few other little headaches.

Keg's got the thread up about the Vancouver Meet Up.

Mentioned to Ebagg about setting up a Seattle Meet Up.

Meeting up with anyone in Oregon is still iffy~.

cool.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooo boy... so the current word on the vette is the #7 and 8 cylinders *might* have a blown out gasket... I'm not really believing it cause the car's never shown any symptoms to suggest it. Currently waiting to hear back from the dealership in the morning regarding how precise the test they want to charge me nearly $300 for would be in diagnosing the 'problem'. If I can't get a "it will tell us the EXACT situation" back from them, I'm gonna pass on it and more than likely say "eff it" and do the damn trip. A head gasket replacement alone through the dealership would cost me around 3 grand or so... I can get new gaskets, install them myself, and get both heads reworked for around 3-400 after the trip. Unless someone from there comes forth saying "your car is going to blow up" on this trip, I'm still goin for it. If worse comes to worse, my parents will lend me one of their vehicles for the trip (but that wouldn't be anywhere near as fun). (Granted... if my dad buy's the '01 vette he's been eyeing... though it is an automatic laugh.gif ).

Blegh...

I'm lookin forward to seein' all of you come hell or high water! And save an utter disaster, DK, you'll get a ride in the '86! smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, looks like the 'vette is gonna be a no-go for the trip. frown.gif

The list of small things nearing the 'broken' status before I even get to the engine is long enough for me to not want to take the risk.

Sooooo~, I'm taking my dad's 1995 Cadillac Seville STS instead. It's a willing substitute, though. That Northstar motor has some serious balls (as my dad put it.. "The car goes into passing gear at 115!"), and it's a pretty damn comfy ride.

.... so, I guess this means... no more "Corvette's North!"... instead it's gonna be "Northstar's North!" laugh.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laptop arrived early this morning, been spending the whole day setting it up. Camera STILL hasn't arrived, I'm calling DHL first thing in the morning to find out WTF is going on (it was scheduled to arrive on Monday). Still no word back on my Corvette's condition, but at this point I don't care.

Still *nothing* from Oregon polycounters, so it looks like I'm either going to make a layover somewhere along the way or just grind all the way up to Washington.

If anyone needs my cell # or wants to pass along any info to me, pm / email me ASAP.

... and it looks like i'm gonna be busy right down to the wire with hanging out with friends and such.

I'll be staying with family the entire trip, unless I end up crashing at anyone's place overnight due to partying or the like.

Look forward to meeting up with everyone! See you all soon! cool.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooo.. had a tad much to drink last night at that party~

Woke up around 11 today, and started packing.... will post again when I hit the road!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2:30 pm....
    I'm a man of means, by no means, i'm king of the roooooooad!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello from Arcata, California!
    First drive's done, and some ~340 miles behind me now. Gonna do the BIG DRIVE tomorrow from here to Seattle (about 600 miles). Still plan on going the whole distance (seeing as I never heard anything from any Oregon PC'ers that sounded like a "stop on by"). See you Seattlites soon!

mileage: 328.4 miles traveled
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Schweet, did you write down my celly?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup dude, saved in my contacts on my cell phone.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello from Starbucks (where else?) in Seattle!

Mileage: 938.4 miles traveled

Arrived last night, the 600 miles went by rather quickly (take that, Oregon!). No broadband at my aunt's place, and the phone lines are currently getting fixed, so I *might* be online tonight as well.

Like I said in the Seattle meet up thread, give me a call if any of you guys want to meet up during the week. I've currently got no plans set in stone for anything to go to / check out, so any recommendations for things to visit are welcome. I'm all for hanging out 'cause I'm not much of a "tourist".
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Met up with Ebagg and Thegodzero this afternoon, and the three of us walked from TGZ's apartment to a neat little mexican restaurant nearby. Chowed down, had some margaritas, and talked game stuff (what else). Both those guys are damn cool; sucks I only got to meet up with them this once, hopefully we can hang out again on my way back south. smile.gif

I'm digging Seattle, as I've said in #md, this area's on my list of places to look for jobs... which now is my home area and seattle. laugh.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Met up with Oxynary, Bios, and a few others saturday night at The Hideout (which *was* really well hidden). I had a really good time talking with oxy and bios about the industry and jobs in the area. smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Met up with cancel this evening. We had a few drinks and played some pool down the road from the Bungie studios, then had some Jack in the Box and talked about game design and our views on the industry. Was damn awesome meeting him in person, as has been the case with meeting everyone so far on this trip. I've been getting some great input on where to look for jobs around here, and everyone's shown me a great time around the town, so I'm looking forward to getting everything together when I get back home to aim for a job up here!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok~, 11:30, packed up, hittin the road...

Look out Canada, Flaagan's invading the frozen north!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Milage: ~1175 (forgot to check before I did more driving tongue.gif)

OK, up in Canada. I had a rather amusing experience at the border I'll tell the cannuckistanians about first and then tell the rest of you. Currently no wifi that I can leach off of here, but trying to push the relatives I'm staying with to get a broadband connection ASAP. They want my input on getting a new laptop / pc, as well as a net connection, so I'm trying to push the issue so I can get a secure network (and a net connection for me) set up before too long. For those of you up here in Canada, calling me is currently the quickest way to get ahold of me.