Home General Discussion

Do you remember your first deathmatch?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I was reading this article and the guys says "Ever seen someone get all giddy reminiscing about his first Quake deathmatch?". I thought about it and I do remember my first Quake deathmatch and I did get a little giddy. I was at a cybercafe up in New Jersey, eating a sandwich with one hand and trying to play Quake DM with the other and I remember thinking "wow, this is the future!"

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I definitely remember. Mine was playing Doom with a school friend. Back then you could type your friend's phone number into the menu, and then your modem would call his house, and then after you were connected you could play 1 on 1 deathmatch or Co-op. It felt like the metaverse or the matrix or something. I've still yet to play a game that beat that Co-op experience.

For Quake it was definitely a huge step because I was a freshman at college when it was released, which meant my roomates and I had a free LAN going as well. The first week we all had it we played constantly and would run around the dorm like little kids screaming with glee.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    My first dm was with Doom, over a modem...lots of fun at the time.

Then came Quake, and I played again, over a modem. Didn't play DM for years after that summer of 96, until Q2 sometime in 2001. That was my first "modern" deathmatch experience, and man it was like a whole new world opened up. I remember being horribly intimidated at first, with players with names like "I eat Babies" and things like that smile.gif From that point on I was eternally hooked...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My first multiplayer experiences were command and conquer over modem, late night so calls wouldn't be missed over the phone line. But when it comes to first person shooters and deathmatching I was a bit later on, got 56k connection and played the hell out of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and the expansion, memorized the hell out of great maps like Canyon Oasis and Spaceport. Whats even more funny is that for the longest time I played it without using a mouse to aim!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I started doing deathmatches with Darkforces 2. It was fun, although I would have to say I was much more fond with Rune's deathmatches.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    mine was in Quake II when r13 used to dance on my head...

...the bastard.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    quake 1 here.. co-oped with a friend, and played it DM, finding IP-lists online and trying to find a good game...man..that was a cool experience.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    quake 1 here, dial-up game against my friend Rich. I rocked him 10-1. It was the Quake map with the giant indoor pyramid thing.

Working with the original Threewave crew I get to hear all these crazy DM stories from 'back in the day'... I should get them to share some
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    My first DM was in Halflife Deathmatch. Was on dial up as well. Since I had never used a PC prior to this, I got my arse handed to me smile.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    First game was Red Baron. The old dial-up at 2400bps. My god.
    But TRUE deathmatch was Quake1 in a 3D lab with 32 players. I also refused to play with a mouse. Keyboard only.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    First multiplayer experience was Doom 2 dial-up, very similar to doc rob's story.

First quake deathmatch was when it came out. My friend had a much better computer than me, so when he got the game I went to his house. We called up another friend that just got it, and had him dial us up. I remember the feeling when I saw our friend actually right there, shooting at us. We were fighting, but miles away. Its was an awesome experience.

Certainly more memorable than the first time I had sex. I guess that makes me a COMPLETE nerd, right? haha
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I cant remember exactly. I think it was playing Quake on Segas old online service.. Heat.net via 33k modem.

I got my friend to dial in with me, but then we discovered the Quake 3 beta... and never looked back.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Certainly more memorable than the first time I had sex. I guess that makes me a COMPLETE nerd, right? haha

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because you had sex. wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    First game was Red Baron. The old dial-up at 2400bps. My god.
    But TRUE deathmatch was Quake1 in a 3D lab with 32 players. I also refused to play with a mouse. Keyboard only.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha omg Red Baron, I totally remember that game. *remembers*
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Tribes 1 ... and I was afraid to join servers with too many people on them
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Duke3D, in a shop that was selling computergames and had is insanely revolutionary 4 computers hooked up for networkplay at something like $20 an hour in a back room.

But Diablo1 was fun over a modem (33k) too... had to rescue the character items from a friend (and he mine) a few times, as you could connect right into a running game wink.gif
    It was insanely expensive back than though frown.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Doom. We already had an IPX network set up at the time we got it, so alot of fun was had in episode 1 and 2 :P

Before that, it was just Bolo via appletalk or 688 via null modem cable.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    duke 3d.. pipebombs, tripwires, freeze gun, shink ray- damn those were all great fun in dm
  • Sidwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidwell polycounter lvl 18
    I did a few Q2 botmatches, but my first online deathmatch was with Q3Test. Visor + Q3DM7 for the win.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Mine had to be whichever turok game was the first with multiplayer. Oh nintendo shooters...so horrible. Cept the first turok, that was wondeful for me.
    First 3d/shooter/violent game ever.
    Awesome.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    goldeneye 64 for the win baby !
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    A high school friend dialed modem-to-modem and we played Duke Nukem DM. First true DM. smile.gif
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Oddjob had such a small hitbox! laugh.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. smile.gif

This thread is splitting up the ages of the members pretty well. laugh.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Oddjob had such a small hitbox! laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, back before they invented randomize for level and weapon selection.

"Alright, we've got first to 10 kills wins, what weapon?"

"Random..."

*closes eyes* scrolls through weapons real fast, and hits start

"So what are they?"

"Shit... slappers only..."
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

*closes eyes* scrolls through weapons real fast, and hits start

"So what are they?"

"Shit... slappers only..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely forgot about doing that. laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    OMG... Golden Eye! I have a few good GE stories. Here's a couple:

A best friend of mine and myself would play 1 on 1 DM at sleep overs all the time. We'd tape up cardboard pieces on his TV so that if I sat across from him I couldn't see his screen, and he couldn't see mine. At the time, it was bloody intense!

Another thing we'd do is play 2 vs. 2 on Complex with the Golden Gun (1-shot insta kill pistol). The Golden Gun would spawn in the room that over looked the ramp-room. So basically whichever team had a Golden Gun would sit and camp the spawn area, making the objective of the other team to either a.) Infilitrate that room to get the Golden Gun from its spawn, or b.) Kill someone and steal theirs to use against the enemy. The games would be so crazy, 1 team would rack up 10 or more hits than their opponent, only to have their opponent get the gun some how and get 10 kills in a row, making it even-Steven all over again.

*sigh* Those were the days.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Duke 3d. I was king of mighty foot. The best part about that game was playing with my brothers on our old serial LAN on maps we built ourselves. Ah, I remember it fondly, building maps all day in the BUILD engine, and then challanging my bros to a game on your 'home' map at night. It was all good fun, and you would always win on your 'home' map becauase you would put secret teleport spots all over the place, putting you where the REAL weapons and or sniper spots are. Ahhhhhh, it feels so nice to remember.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldve mentioned Goldeneye, but I don't know if i would really consider it deathmatch. I know that gameplay it absolutely is. The difference is that your sharing a screen. no networking involved. So i'd liken it more to multiplayer (ala racing games) than deathmatch. Cause otherwise, i could pick mariokart deathmatch.

BTW. Goldeneye FTW all the way. I've never known a game more in-depth than that one.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Goldeneye had to be the funnest game experience I've had dealing with multiplayer. I know other people would play as Oddjob and crouch and then just slap people's knees to death. There's no way my friends and I were the only ones that did that.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quake 2 for me, allthough i'll second the mention of Rune being a fantastic deathmatch game, because it was awesome. awrrsesoome.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Fist game I played deathmatch was doom 2... against my dad. I was like 8 or so and he just got his first laptop from work. Using a serial cable or something ancient like that we could play against each other. The problem was you would start next to eachother in the first level, or maybe all, and almost all the weapons lay there right next to spawn.

So I somehow kicked him off of that platform and ended up with all the weaponry while he only had a shotgun... I easily killed him up until the fifth level (you'd just cycle through single player maps) where he knew how to find a rocket launcher and camped there until I passed by.

It was awesome. laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quake 1 with Reaper bots!
    Then later when me and my brother borrowed my mum's work laptop and installed Quake 2 on it, we played over a serial cable connection, mainly Superheroes Q2 and a bit of AQ2.

I seem to remember playing some FPS game or other in split-screen, though... maybe Rise of the Triad?!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Doom2 was my first multiplayer game, we used to do coop and DM across a serial cable. Man it was fun. I remember playing level 11 in coop, on ultra violent. There was a ring shape area in the level surrounded by acid (and containing a cyber demon). We used to press the button to lower an area and try to lure the cyberdemon on it, so when the lift raised he'd get stuck.

Then years later at school, a bunch of us would take turns playing quake MP. Awesome smile.gif When I first saw invisibility in effect it cracked me up, just seeing those two eyes floating about.
    Then we'd play FvF (future vs fantasy) and painkeep mods, much fun.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I never got into DM until way after getting into gaming. My first multiplayer though, was TFC for HL. At my dorms the 6th floor was the honors students (where I was) and the 5th floor were regular guys (the floors went boy floor, girl floor, interupted only by our honor floor). So we were the only two floors right on top of one another with all guys. We didn't know the other floor except by their online handles, and we would always team up, 6th floor vs 5th floor. We would call them the dumb kids, they would call us the elitists. I was the only person with a homebuilt computer, so I had 256 mb of ram and windows NT, while they were running 95 with 64 mb. I was always the server, and I never kicked campers (cause I did it myself, muaahaha) Dag on, so many nights of awesome gaming.

poop.gif
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I seem to remember playing some FPS game or other in split-screen, though... maybe Rise of the Triad?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably Goldeneye, Quake 64, Doom Legacy, Faceball 2000 (MIDI Maze) or Serious Sam
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think my first deathmatch was Abuse over the school LAN (one guy had the full version and installed it on all computers). I think I didn't get a nullmodem cable until later, then I started playing Descent with or against my friends.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I had fond memories shouting across the house to my family when connecting doom MP through the modem.. "DONT GET THE PHONE !!!!!!!!!"