Home General Discussion

half life 2 episode 2 trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
it seems valve is taking a cue from hollywood on the trailer making front, lots of tightly pack action sequences strung together with drama elements woven in and the 1 to 2 seconds of after trailer trailer. still havent played episode 1.
some parts look cool, the really fast moving crab head looks a few steps down in quality from the other models in the game tho, looks like he is made of 12 polies total.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2804

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    looks fun..episode one didnt entice me much either..but it looks like its finally out-of-the-city-and-into-the-woods with this one... I'm eager to see how vavle handles forestry/vegetation....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I havent played ep1 either. I hope they make some kind of slightly cheaper package deal.. A also hope that TF2 is still going to be included.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I too have not played episode one. I was sorta deterred when everyone here said it was too short for its cost. I'll probably buy it along with episode 2. Because then I'll also get portal and tf2. And it will make me feel that I've got my money's worth.

But yeah. Hl2's models polycounts are so damn wonky. The zombies are like 1500 polys, while another model may have 1500 just in the head. And then the key player characters have like 1500 just in the face. Oh well.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fantastic, as well as all the other stuff Valve puts out.

I was pretty unsdure about Episode 1's trailer and the game ended up great, so I'm pumped up for this one!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Epi 1 was great, well worth my money. Epi 2 looks to do the same.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Can't wait for this one to ship, episode 1 was great but I finished it twice and now I'm waiting.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I tried to buy episode 1 but it rejected my credit card.

damn wonky steam

I use the card regularly with no problems whatsoever.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty cool.

would almost just like them to do a machinima movie laugh.gif

havent played episode 1 though. hopefully they offer both together for a reasonable price.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Hahahaha, loved that. Kleiner being his normal spazzy self at the end was great.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    the new enemies are awesome.new dynamic lighting aswell. cant wait.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Erm, dynamic lighting? It's more smoke & mirrors than that.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I dislike Valve's storytelling methods and from the reviews I read, Episode 1 didn't help answer any questions. While the trailer does look quite cool I still think that $20 for 4-5 hours of gameplay is too much, and will wait for the price to go down.

Bring on TF2!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Erm, dynamic lighting? It's more smoke & mirrors than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

they mentioned that they revamped the lighting in the engine, from what i noticed the lighting is more unified between the props/characters and environment. I think the updated subtle effects they added to the source engine look fantastic
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dislike Valve's storytelling methods and from the reviews I read, Episode 1 didn't help answer any questions. While the trailer does look quite cool I still think that $20 for 4-5 hours of gameplay is too much, and will wait for the price to go down.

[/ QUOTE ]

$20 for 4-5 hours of gameplay is too much? I'd say a good junk of games out nowadays play for maybe 3-4 hours and cost more than double that. $20 for 5 hrs of gameplay is well worth the money if the gameplay is solid, in my opinion. What is a reasonable price in your opinion?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Geezus, I'm a thrifty bastard. I was about to pick up HL2:Episode 1 at the store a few weeks back, but then I saw Quake 4 for the same price, which has 15+ hours of gameplay, and solid multiplayer and great mod support. Which would you rather go for?

And when it comes to full price games that only have around 5 hours of gameplay in them? I wait for them to go down in price. Whether its a longer single player campaign, multiplayer, moddability (is that the right word?) or some other feature that makes me come back for more, I'm going to be thrifty and let it come down in price before I slap down the cash. A reasonable price for a extremely linear single player FPS which I may or may not replay sometime and I can beat in one sitting? I'd give $10. I'm a cheap bastard, what can I say.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    ab: you should watch the trailers of ep2 and tf2 more closely. the flashlights for example cast correct shadows from characters and props on the ground and other models unlike in hl2 where you only have one light origin (which usually is the skylight) for the dynamic shadows.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sa74n: I'll have to look in to that... I still don't think the lighting is as dynamic as you're thinking.

Fuse: Correct, they have updated the lighting. However, I can't see Valve moving away from a compile system any time in the near future. The switch of an engine which requires compile time to that of a dynamic lighting engine which still looks as great as Source does now would be huge. Something of which I don't think Valve will do (-referencing comments made by Valve about the development time of HL2, them doing primarily episodic content now, etc. etc.). You're right about the props to environment lighting unification - but even that is limited. Once Epi 2 is released (or they go public about it) I can talk about it more.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I might actually get this one even though I didn't much enjoy HL2 and didn't even think about purchasing Ep 1. There seems to be a lot more new environments in this one where as Ep. I looked like more of the same.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I need a better computer. Mine could barely run HL2 on it's lowest settings. frown.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sa74n: I'll have to look in to that... I still don't think the lighting is as dynamic as you're thinking.

Fuse: Correct, they have updated the lighting. However, I can't see Valve moving away from a compile system any time in the near future. The switch of an engine which requires compile time to that of a dynamic lighting engine which still looks as great as Source does now would be huge. Something of which I don't think Valve will do (-referencing comments made by Valve about the development time of HL2, them doing primarily episodic content now, etc. etc.). You're right about the props to environment lighting unification - but even that is limited. Once Epi 2 is released (or they go public about it) I can talk about it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

noone is saying they've made it completely dynamic, but their subtle improvements and effects really add to the overall presentation with each update.

despite not having fully dynamic lighting i think it is one of the best titles on the pc, but part of it might be to the valve art direction.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh dude, don't get my wrong - its my favourite game universe ever. I love the HL stories, 100%. I'm wishing that certain aspects of Source, specifically its pipeline, got a little more streamlined and up to par with other engines that are soon coming out. I checked out the video, and yah - thats definitly dynamic lighting coming from the flashlight. If I've learned anything though from working with Source for over a year, is that its probably not something like a depth map, but Valve's own magic. It looks great though, so who cares! :P