Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bottom Fetishists

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
fetishbutt1.jpg

"He was a gentleman of noble bearing, fallen on hard times. He no longer could afford the finest nor most stylish livery, yet he still commanded utmost respect. Even among younger, more vibrant members of the court, he operated his suit with unmatched grace and pride."

Though I can't remember who posted the original idea, it was here on polycount (or was it CA.org?) and I never forgot it. One look at this image suggested to me an entire regimented society of truly bizarre people, who live their entire lives inside mechanical suits, never seeing each other directly. Except for their butts. It makes me laugh as much as it kinda creeps me out--why leave the butts exposed?
Hilarious and bizarre as it was, I took it as a chance for a little bit of concept design/worldbuilding. I imagine a highly lavish and ornate, but corrupt and perverted high society... something like the court of Louis the XIV, the "Sun King." (google it).

So anyway... not really sure at this point, but I may very possibly do a few more sketches of this insane society. Probably a lot looser than the above piece.

Oh, and if the original artist is still kicking around, PLEASE speak up and claim credit for the original idea! It's much to twisted for even me to have come up with laugh.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That is amazingly cool. Probably my favorite thing you've come up with before.

I'd definitely like to see you flesh out this society a bit more. Maybe some more illustrations. A big scene at a ballroom with lots of these characters conversing/dancing. Regardless, gimmee more smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Obviously the butts are exposed because shitting on your pilot seat isn't healthy.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job man. I think the concept is quite original, and while that counts for a lot, I still think this piece needs a little more. Right now it's got lots of gimick, but the design itself is rather bland other than the neck area and forearms (in my opinion). I think resolving a more dynamic and appealing design in the torso, and the shoulders especially, will take this piece to the top.

Please post your other character ideas for this universe!

poop.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well thank you, kind folks.

aesir, i definitely am thinking about some sort of ballroom scene once i design a few more of these.

kdr: obviously defecation would play some sort of special role in this society, eh?

poop: thanks, fair points about dynamic quality of this piece. i really hadn't set out to render it as much as i did; this one i was just trying to take the original drawing and make it into a non-spherical shape. drawing a sphere body and making it work is harder than you might think. anyway, that first piece is supposed to be a very average if not a little round down suit, not the big wowee zowee suits. hopefully some of the ones to come will impress you more.

i did have a little time tonight to draw up an orthographic, depicting another very sort of average male 'suit'. i'm especially proud of the cutaway view, since it also makes me laugh in addition to showing some of the mechanics.

fetishortho1.jpg

as you might infer from this image and the first image's description, "piloting" one of these suits in a social circumstance requires a great deal of dexterity and skill. the limbs are manipulated as well as the head, much as a puppeteer would. the head can blink, open its mouth (like a nutcracker) and do other basic things... at least on an average model suit like this one.
    anyhow, stay tuned for more of the insane world of the Bottom Fetishists.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    When you gotta go, go in style! crazy.giflaugh.gif
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoachMXF polycounter lvl 18
    so uhh...what are the advantages of having your bum sticking out like that... what if a rainbow-giant sneaks up behind him?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    roach: bear with me here smile.gif there's no advantage to it whatsoever. this isn't an armor or "practical" design in any way.
    you know how different cultures and societies around the world historically have prized different bodily attributes and distort or exaggerate them (lip/ear plates, feet binding, etc)?
    as the title implies, this is about a really strange society that completely isolate themselves from the rest of the world and each other, but leave their asses hanging out. butts on parade. yet they never or rarely see each other eye to eye or make any real human contact. maybe there's some commentary hiding in there, i don't know at this point.
    it's not a sexual thing, nor is it a Freudian anal fixation thing, at least not exclusively--both of those are likely factor in to some degree. mostly it's just completely silly at this point. i'm still working on the psychological/cultural makeup of this fixation of theirs, its not particularly easy to develop sensibly.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    The butts are exposed to prove that this is a suit operated by one of the Chosen Humans, not one of those obscene, unpredictable mechanisms created by the Exiles from the West.

That's where I'd go with it, anyway. wink.gif

Awesome work, gauss. V. creepy.

Frank the Avenger
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the butthole must be exposed for obvious ventilation purposes.

the whole thing reminds me of the art style from thief 1 and 2, i love it
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    /lmao, brilliant!
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoachMXF polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of "furry" society and I think shotgun has a point, proper ventilation would be a good way to prevent mudbutt, but how do they reproduce? butt babies?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Just because they always wear the suits in public doesnt mean they cant get naked with some chick in private. Sort of like the copious amounts of clothes arab women wear.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    haha! awesome

I love the quirkiness of the design. Someone should make a mod based on this =)

nice to see some original off the wall stuff
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    When I first opened this thread that original concept was the first thing I thought of. So if anything, you got the idea across. I really liked the theatrical look of the first one, something I feel it has lost in the ortho's (but it's kind of hard to tell). Fun idea, though. Should be interesting what else you come up with.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I like how everything looks really low-tech on the inside, with the springs exposed under the seat and the levers and cranks and things. I think a cog is in order

Cool stuff
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    lol, this is just too funny.

The ventillation Idea is cool, maybe they are a flatulent society who have developed a language from it laugh.gif

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "don't talk shit" laugh.gif
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    very cool. the style reminds me of some monty python animated shorts
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yes! Well I remember that original concept... I know it was from here... one of the mass-threads, maybe What are you Working on one...

I like what you've done with it, though in the first painting i think his arm socket should be farther forward to indicate the turned torso exposing the bum.

I also love the idea that they make giant pants for the robots to wear. I can just picture one of them shopping in an oversized store, holding up pants to his large metal waist
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    This is a work of art gauss, I love the ornamental feeling of it. I'm gonna print it and decorate my room with it!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Frank: I think something along those lines, yes smile.gif thanks man

shotgun: i didn't play either of them, but i've seen enough material to take it as a compliment! laugh.gif

roach: you misplaced the quote marks, it should be furry "society" smile.gif and i guess it is similar in that it's a group of totally twisted people who get together and think what they're doing is right and normal, when it isn't. as to your question, i don't think i'm really ready to tackle to vagaries of courtship in this society just yet, if ever.

aesir: yeah, something like that, but not so much a modesty thing as it is paranoid and disordered.

chaos: thanks man, glad you like it.

Spacey: glad the idea comes across well. the ortho stuff (and the thumbs below) are just ways to explore the idea without putting in all the time for a juiced up painting.

Penzer: that's definitely the tech level i'm pitching this society/culture at. not quite "steampunk", but something like that.

Xaltar: man i dont even want to think about it laugh.gif

Miles: when it comes to the baroquely absurd, nobody can beat Terry Gilliam's Monty Python animations.

Sectaurs: yep, others have pointed that out--the ortho suit isn't meant to be exactly the same as the first image, but you're right. i think from now on i'll likely depict the arm sockets as more forward; as firestarter pointed out, it tends to recall gothic plate mail, the way the arms tend to be stiffly rotated forward.

LordScottish: thanks man, but you may lose friends (or attract the wrong ones) by doing that smile.gif

alright, so small update. exploring different possible chassis types for the suits, different shapes and sizes. will continue exploring other details and aspects later. dare i approach ritual/cultural aspects of this society?
    fetishthumbs1.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    heh, great stuff smile.gif

not sure about the proportions in the very first image in this thread, the arms especially look really off... the rest is cool though!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really digging this. You seem to be making quite world, that seems strangely tragic, I don't know why, I guess it's the whole never really seeing anyone thing.

The concepts make me think of The Neverending Story. This I don't know why.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Great concept!
    Hey gauss, can u paint one for me? Please?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just for Ashat (not really). man, this was pretty fast, about 2 1/2 hours.

fetishbutt2.jpg
    "They all admired her--from a distance. Cold and imperious, she was a crown jewel of the court; pale posterior flaunted before all."
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff Gauss, I look forward to seeing how this develops, probably one of the coolest things i've seen in a while.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    my only critique on the last one is that I think you could have extended the dress, below her ass, down a lot further giving her a more elegant look. Right now the suit would have rather short legs.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I laughed with such acceleration at your last post there I almost gagged on my own saliva. My first impression (from the top) was that it was a comment on heavy computer users in general. Living life through the "window" of the monitor. I see this trend taking hold more in future and consider it something to be weary of. Perhaps I am reading too deeply but I present my thoughts none the less smile.gif Keep making us laugh laugh.gif

Mop: I'm not sure I understand your comment about the proportions of the arms being off? Surely the metal suit does not have to strictly adhere to human anatomy? This is a question I have pondered for a while as I have come under similar criticism in the past. Just trying to understand smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I totally dig this stuff.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    That fakin amazing and original stufF!
    HHmm, i need to model this. maybe... need to think about...
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    gauss you keep reaching new levels of awesomeness, i foresee you doing movies in the future
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    just for Ashat (not really). man, this was pretty fast, about 2 1/2 hours.

fetishbutt2.jpg
    "They all admired her--from a distance. Cold and imperious, she was a crown jewel of the court; pale posterior flaunted before all."

[/ QUOTE ]

Fucking awesome.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jack, you're one crazy son of a bitch.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    game-ready polycounter lvl 17
    oh man, thats totally hilarious, really made my morning. The first one had me laughing, but your last concept here had me almost shooting coffee out my nose. Sweet concepts.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    This is the most fucked up genius thing I've ever seen. laugh.gif

Keep up the good work dude.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    This is disturbing on so many levels and yet you've managed to make it somehow classy & interesting. Almost respectable. Your art, as allways, rocks... but you've taken the concept to a great level. Bizarre!
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    its so friggen awesome but at the same time its kinda funny, i mean their butts are hangin out, wtf.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks everyone, glad you all seem to be laughing at these concepts as much as i have smile.gif

here's a heavily collated and photoshopped set of sketchbook pages (!) from over the weekend. yes, gauss actually scanning linework. i haven't done that in years.
    fetishthumbs2.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    dude, it sounds incredibly stupid but I think you captured something of humanity in there. I am officially scared
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    wow, this is some really great work. sigmund freud would have a field day with this stuff smile.gif

i love the king on his throne, almost didn't see his butt.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. So bizzare and awesome.

How about one with lots of hair?

Maybe a servant-sweeper class?

I can see a dialogue scene now, on a balcony. A lady and gent mention how beatiful the moon is tonite, 'quite so' and then they turn to leave the balcony, mooning the audience. Corny enough?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    So I was reminded of an old pot-bellied stove my parents have in a shed in the back of their property... I now know what I must do with it. I shall become a bottom fetishist!

It will be a beautiful thing.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha! this is gold!

I love it!

crazy stuff as usual gauss!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks again everybody. the comments really help me want to do more pieces to fill out this screwy world laugh.gif

speaking of which, here is my first and possibly far too ambitious full scene drawing of the high court itself. more to come.
    fetishcourtdance.jpg
    "To an outsider, the dance of a twelve foot tall Suit would seem grotesque and marionette-like in the worst way; to those of the exclusive royal court, it was enchanting."
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    im lovin the hair on the last pic gauss.
    this thread is just too weird, and too awesome.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, really great stuff, Gauss. I really like your sketchbook page too, nice playful lines there.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking pretty slick there. Loving the dance scene laugh.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    that dance piece is a beauty.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    awesome style and concept you've created from the original idea. Its creepy , surreal, familier, gentle, twisted, and innocent.

One thought i had from your last pic and quote. This civilzation could have become so fixated on their suits being so large and tall that the world around them or just parts of it were built for the suits, not for the real people inside them. So as time went on, things generally became out of perportion. Without your suit, you really dont fit in certain areas of their world (upscale/ high class). smile.gif

great pics too.