Home General Discussion

So why do so many of you switch jobs so often?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
I've noticed quite a few of you switch jobs quite often, sometimes it seems yearly! Just wondering if it is personal preference or more to do with the company you hope to join or currently work at? Do you see yourself changing jobs frequently or settling down in one company some day?

Replies

• McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

ding!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah unfortunately, to get a big raise in this industry you usually have to switch compaines. Sometimes if you stick around for a while you get a yearly raise or a bonus or something like that, but if you want a big ass raise and want to move to a different income tax bracket, hopping companies is your best bet.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah unfortunately, to get a big raise in this industry you usually have to switch compaines. Sometimes if you stick around for a while you get a yearly raise or a bonus or something like that, but if you want a big ass raise and want to move to a different income tax bracket, hopping companies is your best bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

w3rd.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    sad but true frown.gif

Sometimes you need to hop companies in order to get a better position too, my friend is an excellent artist, but gets over looked for others. So he ends up with crappy tasks to deal with. I know its driving him slowly insane and unless it changes he will hop companies.

Company closure and bad management have been my reasons to switch company so far wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    For me it's always been about happiness with the job. True to the other guys points, I have gotten nice raises with each switch, but that was not my primary motive. Each time I've moved jobs, I feel like I've ended up at a better company as far as how I'm treated as an employee and my personal happiness from day to day. The reason I've been at Neversoft for longer than any company so far (just hit my one year mark) is because I feel respected among the team, I feel like the heads of the company respect me and my time, and I feel like the project I'm working on is quality.

poop.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I think for me it's not only job happiness, but how happy my family is. If I have to commute 2 hours each way to work it's a huge strain on my relationship with my Wife. Being part of a team that you respect artistically is really important for me. Basically like Poop said it takes a few steps to get at the place you want to be at for a long time. Some people land that job their first go. Congrats to those people, but most don't I've seen.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The reason I've been at Neversoft for longer than any company so far (just hit my one year mark)
    poop.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That is not exactly a a ringing endorsement for the whole industry, Poop.

Ive been happy at the same place of employment now since 1985.

On the otherhand I am not doing something that I actually love doing smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    the longest i've been with one company so far is 1 year and 4 months, hopefully that will improve with this job. But yeah for me its always been sort of like an upgrade, i've been lucky enough to be able to jump up the ladder pretty quickly so i took every opportunity i had to get closer to where i wanted to be.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I jumped around early in my career and got substantial raises out of it. However, I landed my biggest salary increases in the 4.5 year period I was working for Paradox Development. I was promoted to a lead position there. It can work out both ways.

The fastest route is usually to switch jobs. smile.gif

The biggest factor for me coming to Neversoft was company stability. Working for smaller developers and feeling extremely nervous every time we had trouble signing a new project was wearing real thin. I didn't want that feeling anymore.

Once I got here, all the other benefits of working here became apparent. It's possible I work here the rest of my career. Well, unless they can me. smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Three and a half years in one shop. I've been lucky to change roles a few times, though, which has let me keep learning. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    The big companies are notoriously bad at promotion. If you're good at what you do, they don't like to move you out of that position. It took me 7 years to get from modeler to Associate Art director. Yikes.

I made an arse load of $ out of stock from staying at the same company as long as I did so there are some benefits, but I *really* regret it now. I wish I'd moved around much sooner. Life's all about experiences and meeting new people. Who wants to be in the same job all their lives?
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i'd also suggest that making sure jumping is really a good thing for you. Jumping around can backfire and make you a less attractive applicant if they feel they cant trust you to stick around for the length of the project.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    ^ What R said.
    Go to a place you want to be at. Don's imply do it for the money.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, R has an EXCELLENT point here. Jumping from company to company every 6-8 months is terrible for your reputation. It burns some bridges. Not talking from personal experience or anything ... just sayin'.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yep, i'll chuck a resume straight in the bin if there's constant switches of a year or less. You can be the world's greatest artist but it's irrelevant if you're just going to fuck off again, that's what contracters and outsourcing are for
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Worked at EA Canada for 7.5 years now. I am satisfied with my current salary, I've visited a few other companies in town here to check out what they are doing, the games looked interesting but the overall package was a downgrade from EA in many ways.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yep, i'll chuck a resume straight in the bin if there's constant switches of a year or less. You can be the world's greatest artist but it's irrelevant if you're just going to fuck off again, that's what contracters and outsourcing are for

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it depends on whether or not the company went tits up and there was no choice but to switch?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'd also suggest that making sure jumping is really a good thing for you. Jumping around can backfire and make you a less attractive applicant if they feel they cant trust you to stick around for the length of the project.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. One of the sticking points for me, has been that I've had a good reason for each move. If you can prove that your moves have been related to sound business decisions, any good company will understand during the hiring process. Neversoft asked me in my job interview why they would be my fourth company in three years. I explained my reasoning, and they moved on with the interview, satisfied.

In addition, I'd rather have a tallented artist that can pull his/her weight for a year, than someone who can barely create shipable-level assets who can't get another studio interested in hiring them away, that sticks around for five years. Loyalty is all well and good, but I know I value ability to contribute, much higher in the importance scale.

I like that, when it comes time to decide to keep a team for another round, file for bankruptcy, sell a company to someone who might destroy it, downsize, etc, the company will always think of itself first. However for us as employees, when we go to make a decision about where we work and how happy we are with our current project, how good/bad the hours are, how competent/incompetent our managers are, we are ALSO supposed to think about the company first. The studio itself will never put the individuals employees needs on the list of priorities if things are truly dour, yet every employee is expected to do that.

I also like that the industry is perfectly fine with hiring very young people, when they show sufficient tallent, because they know they can pay them very lilttle compared to their older counterparts. Yet they expect these people who are barely used to living on their own, to act with the maturity and experience of someone who is in their fourties. It'd be like if McDonalds kept getting mad when the 15 year olds they hire are acting immature. Hire someone not used to the line of work and the atmosphere you are bringing them into, and expect them not to ever make immature mistakes.

Oh, all the times where I used the word like in the above paragraphs, I meant the word "despise". Like Firestarter said below, when this industry stops being such collosal morons with how they treat employees, then they can start to watch for job length as any kind of predictor for employee quality. If a studio was so concerned with length of employement without regard for reasons, it would tell me they are also going to eventually show their incompetence and don't want to deal with me walking out on them. I *want* to work at one place for a long time. Every time I've gone into a job, it's been for the long run. However it's always been the studios that have changed my mind and chased me away, based on the treatment I've recieved.

poop.gif
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    It is a perilous minefield out there, make no mistake, the level of incompetence (not to mention outright abuse) in this industry is astronomical. I`ve myself been worried lately of my `year-long-employee` resume, it does look bad but largely out of my control, you could level the `incompetent judgement` stick for making bad choices I guess.
    I`m in the belief that the vast majority of professional `Job Hoppers` would settle if they could. It`s not fun, NOT having a `home`, I havent bought anything larger than a paperback for years, just in case I gotta move again, and as it happens my salary has been dropping steadily.
    @danr: Not sure where your judgemental attitude comes from, it`s not like the company you work for has a glowing employer reputation, I wouldnt bother sending my resume to your lot, I`d rather be on the dole :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I've switched jobs several times because my employers went out of business. This is a very volatile, hit-driven industry, and it's very easy to be a good artist, work at good places, and still have to switch jobs often as studios get shut down because their latest game wasn't a hit, or was behind schedule, etc. You can be working on a game that is a huge hit at E3 one year, and brushing up your resume a year later for any number of reasons.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    certainly there are valid reasons for switching, the most valid (validest?) being the company going bye-bye. Most employers will know who has gone down recently, they'll also know where it's grim to work and can understand when people leave even after a short time... but those same employers will also have a good feel for spotting the journeymen, constantly hopping jobs in search of a rise, and i don't know anyone who looks on this favourably
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    danr, I'd certainly have to disagree with your line of thinking on this one. Just because a guy has switched jobs often doesn't in the slightest mean you should toss his resume. Perhaps those companies had major problems, perhaps he needed to move to be closer to family. There are dozens of reasons. If the guy is talented and can contribute to your project, he at least deserves the opportunity to answer your questions when you ask him why he left those places.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    like i say, you get a feel for it after a while. When you're after good people, you don't do anything lightly, including whittling down the candidates
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty easy to get stuck in a creative rut. Most studios make one style of game and hump that style till it runs dry. Forcing yourself to make somthing out of the norm becomes pretty important when you consider yourself a "creative" profesional. I would imagine most of the time you can shake that without having to change companies. Switching for something new is not as important as making a switch for more money or staying with a company for stablity, but its a factor.

With that said, I'm the type of guy (and maybe age is a factor) that likes stablity and is not going to cash that in for a few more bucks. Most of the jobs I have worked, all but my current was outside the industry, I was there for 3-5 years. In all but one of those cases I left because the company went in another direction or folded up shop.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I agree. You can really get creatively stale and comfortable unless you move around. It really pains me to look at my resume and see 5 James Bond games. Somehow in the thick of all that crunching I wasn't counting. I guess that's not an issue for some people though. There were folks that were perfectly happy year in year out making re-hashes of the same Golf game for eons. Different people have different priorities and reasonings.

But basically, I wouldn't discount a talented artist without giving him the chance to explain himself for EITHER moving around a lot, or not moving around at all.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'm coming up on 3 years with my current company, and have no plans for changing. I believe I've hit found the holy grail of game art employsment. Good pay, cool coworkers, knowlegeable management, multiple interesting projects, responsibility, input to management, easy commute, reasonable work hours. It's almost too good to be true.

With that being said, beware of the grass is always greener syndrome. I've seen it backfire with a number of my friends.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Some of the blame can just as easily be placed on the employer for not keeping up their end of the deal. It is a business proposition you see. The previous company was looking for a candidate that met their criteria, and the employee was attracted to the company by certain benefits. The usual things like health insurance are expected these days, but it's easy for them to forget that they mentioned a fun and creative environment. It could simply be that they are looking to leave their current place of employment because they don't feel like it's a fun/creative environment... either by what they did there, or maybe the company changed, or a project changed, and they just didn't fit there anymore.

I think that most people can decide this for themselves within a year or so. Don't see how that makes them a bunny hopper that'll need to be avoided. It's also as much resposibility of the company to want to keep it's employees there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You're all a bunch of sluts who get around. Poop being the biggest whore of the lot. I'm happy with the company I'm at and like everyone else would always love a big fat raise. I'm a fan of loyalty, even if the company goes through a few dog days.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yes its a miz between the company and the worker,, i've been here at mythic getting close to 2 and a half years,, (WOW) and i have no thoughts of leaving.. we do a really good job of retaining workers here,, i can only think of 3 people that have left since i've been working here that I actualy miss.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :cries:

you all are so cool, with matt and his cap and dash with his red hair and jeff m and his glasses, too many people and their one outstanding feature to list

There are many reasons to leave and many valid ones have already been listed. I am sure that many people have started out in this industry and said to themselves "Finally! my first real game job! i'll never leave and stay here forever!", until some sort of issue pops up that forces said individual to make that choice to leave. That person's reason to leave may also be something that is unavoidable.

Loyalty and dedication mean a lot, but people are still people, and we all have our own priorities so it is unfair to say "omg bitches stop whoring. be like me and never leave". that just means that those decision making situations havent happened to you yet. congrats if that never happens to you. I never intended to leave my last company but stuff occurred that made me feel that i should go. My other company shut down forcing the whole lot of us to find jobs elsewhere and i know that the group i worked with then never considered leaving either. i remember the art director asking me about job hopping when i was being interviewed at mythic and i told him the situation, and as i worked there, the more i realized that these situations occur quite often, in many different fields other than just video games.

I havent seen a whole lot of people leave during a project. That occurs after the project has shipped or has been cancelled. Most people float around until they find a company in an area that is right for them. Being real about the situation is all that you have really. Assess priorities and make choices based along those and any other issues that may be involved in your life. all decisons and choices will always have conflict with something and there will always be things beyond your control, it's just a matter of making decisions that allow for as little conflict as possible so that you can live a relatively happy life wink.gif

-=sigh=-
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ahem. just out of interest, does anyone in the north east have need of an ambitious 3d modeler?
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    We miss you too Cochtl. You and your shirts.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    are you "Passionate" about games?
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, tracy has the <cool> shirts.

i have hair
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, tracy has the <cool> shirts.

i have hair

[/ QUOTE ]

And the corn chips in your desk drawer. laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I changed jobs a lot in the past because the companies I relocated for turned out to be unrewarding, did not allow me to do the best job I could or they didn't like me.

This is an unstable industry and there are few places where the people in charge either work as hard or care about what they are doing to the same extent as those that take care of the grunt work and pay the price for their mistakes.

It took me a long time to find somewhere that I felt fulfilled , respected and rewarded. I was crazy enough to think I deserved to be well treated for my abilities and finding
    someplace crazy enough to do so took a fair amount of pitstops.

[EDIT] Oh and I changed job every year for a while too though I'm just coming up on 3 years with Epic now.
    I don't think regularity of job change will turn a company off if there's a clear reason behind each.

r.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the props Ryno! To bad we just had your yearly wink.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I like sticking to the same place for one reason mainly... power !!1! ...aka seniority, fancy titles and other privilege$$ (like being able to lock the washroom when i want to go, well i wish, still working on those rights).

Money is something you should always be able to talk about with whoever is responsible.

I think everytime you move (unless it's a VERY obvious career boost) you lose everything you worked for at that place, it's not all materialistic. There's credibility, recognizion etc. that in a 'normal' place, will help with your salary and position over time.
    It kinda feels like resetting or just setting back your position for a few bucks more right NOW.

I sure don't miss being told what to do and how to work thinking, 'gosh, this could be so much better and done so much smarter'. I don't miss having to do a concept for every little idea i have and having to justify it and run it up a command chain either.

I pick what i want to work on, I do, redo, or change anything i want without being questioned.
    I tell everybody how to work and what they should be doing and redoing and what not. I give people work i believe they like to do and are good at, trying to get the better of all their skills, all to meet my personal twisted quality ideals.
    I get every engine feature i ask for, even if it means a ton of programming work, planningand changes, that alone makes your job so much more fun, you think something would be really cool and help the look or make your life easier ? you get it, your word for it being good enough.

I think those are all perks you hardly experience moving around, You probably don't miss them if you never had them, but they are usually there if you stick around long enough.
    And they are worth more than 10k more a year (well, depending how much you currently make)... and the difference might be covered with bonusses or raises, if not now, in time as recognizion of your value and work.

It doesn't really help if you think you're awesome and deserve more money and privileges. If you never stick around long enough to let those qualities be seen, they'll never do anything for you.

Being a good artist makes you a good grunt, those qualities can be easily seen in a portfolio, people will match and beat your current salary to some extent to get you.
    Being a competent and inventive character on top of that makes you very hard to replace and worth so much more, but those qualities need to be given time to be recognized.

When they do tho, most companies will make sure to keep you more than happy with the salary, perks and probably other longer term perk$.
    All that stuff has a huge impact on your quality of life at that place, your personal impact on the projects you work on, and quite everything that makes a place fun to stay at.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I've only changed jobs once in the game industry but had the opportunity to do so a few times. My first studio I worked for, an independent developer, went under due to poor management of the studio at the top level...no money left to pay salaries and no scheduled titles to begin work on. I made 2 games with them and then when I was told they couldn't pay me any longer I went to figure out what to do next. Luckily the publisher of the two games I made had noticed me and offered me a job before I even had my apt. packed up to move. I started with them 2 weeks later and have been with THQ now for 6 years as ov November this year. I admit to getting comfortable with where I am and being content to a degree. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though. I can definitely see where sitting in one spot for too long can be bad for growth though. I think in the end you just have to do what makes you happy. I know making games makes me happy, but the games I have to make don't always do that.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't DE the only place you have ever worked outside of contracting from home though mario?

I don't think you have much of an overview of the industry as a whole due to this though your points about the longer you spend at a place equaling greater rewards is certainly valid.

r.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that's true, but a company functions the same way no matter what kind it is, be it McDonalds or a game studio.

A good resume only gives you so much of a head start, that's valid everywhere, the rest comes with time.

I've considered leaving DE often enough when the times weren't that good here, and i've had good enough offers to me over the years from companies i'd usually kill to work for, i never had to go fishing myself, but more money alone doesn't really compensate for losing the control and freedom i have now.

edit: Ror, mind to tell Dave ewings he's a noob, he'll get the joke.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, DE has been good to you though, Dave too. First place I worked, I did 9 month of 6 day weeks, 14 + hour days and got a 1k bonus and rise at the end of it, so I walked.

Theres a lot of places like that, where it isn't worth putting in your time because the rewards are never going to be high enough to justify the treatment you endure to receive them.

I'm happy to be at a place now where it's worth taking the downs, as well as the ups, I would have preferred to have found that first time around and avoided moving around so much.

I've never actually left one company to go to another, but I've always been aware of the limited time I will have with which to be creative and accomplish something.
    That want to have the chance to create something I'm proud of, to have the chance to learn from others, to give something back to the kid I was when I just played games...
    that's what has motivated me to keep searching for a place where I could accomplish those things.

Oh and I'll call Dave a noob, any opportunity to wind him up... gladly accepted smile.gif

r.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i was 2.5 years at my last company untill they were done with their project and it was apparent that it wouldnt pay for the next one.

and with my current company i also just hit the 2 year milestone .... so i migth not really qualify to reply to this thread .... i just felt like mentioning that not everyone does the company hopping
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno for me, it was always just a question if I was happy or not where I was, Theres always Up and down, anywhere, everywhere, You just have to ask yourself if u want to be at that particular place when thoses ups and down happen, There is so many opportunity in this industry..

You have to know the right moment to jump ship, Sometimes its important to just stay a litle bit longer..

WORK! FUN!.

ben
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Job satisfaction is what it all boils down to.
    Is the atmosphere right?
    Do you get on well with your coworkers?
    Are the projects you work on chalenging and interesting enough?
    Is there potential for advancement?
    Are the hours good?
    How stable is the company?
    How good is the pay?

I would say that at least 2 thirds of the answers to those questions should be satisfactory to warrant remaining in a job although sometimes its worth sticking arround for only one good answer if its good enough but very seldom is it worth staying for the money, if you can get a good salary in one place there is a good chance you will in other places too. But a good project or great coworkers can often be enough reason to stay in one place.

As for employing I have always felt that the narrowing down of aplicants should be based on standard of work. It is vary rare to find an artist who has a glowing portfolio or demo reel that is unprofessional or unreliable. To do good work takes dedication and proffesionalism, it is these two things that make the difference between "passable" and "outstanding". If someone has impressive work to their credit and has hopped arround a lot they have usually have good reason for it. On occasion you still find the "picky" genius who gets fed up with silly things and hops arround too much but usually they settle just as well as anyone else if they are treated well and challenged with new and interesting things.

Employees SHOULD come first in any company because it is THEIR work that can make or break you but unfortuneately most companies only see the $$$ signs in the bottom margin. Even a lowly ofice clerk or "go to" guy can have a positive influence on a project, whether its making a timely joke to ease a tense situation or simply keeping the coffee fresh and flowing so people feel more pampered. Its not just the gaming industry thats like this, most companies behave the same way, they relly on peoples "drive" and "gusto" to gain position and status to keep their employees in check but at the end of the day its these driven individuals who will cut your throat for an extra coin.

A job should FEEL right and thats whats important.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, if you're being treated like crap then i'd jump ship asap. It just sounds like a lot are just willing to constantly move around for what sounds like a better offer NOW, when a job usually starts to get interesting after sticking there for a few years and you can have a real impact on almost any aspect of the projects you work on, and the terms.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, if you're being treated like crap then i'd jump ship asap. It just sounds like a lot are just willing to constantly move around for what sounds like a better offer NOW, when a job usually starts to get interesting after sticking there for a few years and you can have a real impact on almost any aspect of the projects you work on, and the terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have found a nice place on your first try, because your above quote is exactly how must of us "job hoppers" feel. I don't leave unless I feel like I'm in a crappy situation. It's never been: Oh Em Gee, they have fresher coffee and another 50 cents a paycheck! Gotta go!

poop.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    lol yeah most people's first jobs suck ass hehe... mine did.

There's quite a bit of that "lets hire some n00bs out of school who are good and pay them crap while we crunch them for 6 months and then get the next batch" type attitude going on all over the place. Alot of companies are satisfied with "shippable" art, alot of studios are not increadibly obsessed with quality. Thats a pretty common scenario for a first job for alot of people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with jumping around, i mean if you look at film, there are ALOT of people that have worked for alot of major studios in just a matter of say 2-5 years.

there's also alot of reasons why people would do it, besides more money. You know say you like everything about the place, but you just don't like the kind of games they make, and it doesn't look like its going to change, or projects you care about keep getting cancelled, a bunch of people walked from blizzard when SC Ghost got "delayed". I'd say everyone's got their reasons and its rarely just for the hell of it.

Ofcourse then there's the HR standpoint of lets not hire this guy because he's been jumping around so much, which i think is kind of ridiculous. I don't think jumping around is so much the fault of the people jumping around, but rather the companies they worked for. People have to want to work there, and want to stay there, if they don't, they'll leave, that about summs it up.