Home General Discussion

exercise pills - yay or nay

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Sorry to get on the exerice topic again, but my a friend is on the same workout as me and he's been looking that those fat-burning pills that you can by to increase your metabolism. Back in the day, I took a drug called Xenadrine when I worked out and it made my heart race and made me sweat even before I went to the gym. It had so much caffeine that I couldn't goto sleep at night.

Wondering if anyone else is taking these "enhancement" suppliments. As you know im loosing weight the healthy way but this is an area that alot of people I know are taking them and getting results.

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I thought that type of pill has killed several high school students and I thought a professional football player. They were taking them before sporting events and it killed them. Not a good idea IMO.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah but i bet there ahuge downsides that they arent tlking/thinking about yet like:

-addiction, if not biologically then mentally.
    -what happens when you stop using them, does your body overcompensate, messing with your metabolism sounds risky to me
    -making your heart race aint particullarly a good idea IMO, esp if your a bit overweight

personnally i dont like the idea of "quick fixes" its your body changing lifestyle will be much better in the long term
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I was taking a 1/3 creatine 2/3 whey protein mix on days that I was working out, it helped me get past the point where it seemed as though I was getting no results, even after working my ass off. I started to run into liver problems eventually, and my doctor advised me to lose the supplements and go naturally. I know it's not the same as "fat burning pills", but from personal experience i'd say talk to your doc. before you add any kind of chemical to your workout plan.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    <shatner voice>Must not... post... ten paragraph... reply!!</shatner voice>

Thermogenics can be good stuff. Used intelligently, they are helpful in accelerating fat loss. I personally recommend Biotest's Hot-Rox:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1066793

They're currently sold out, but you can also get them at bodybuilding.com:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/biot/hotx.html

*edit*

Speaking for myself over the last several years, my diet has regularly included various whey and casein protein meal supplements, two types of thermogenics, creatine, high dextrose workout supplements (carbs are not the enemy!) and processed fish oil tablets. I'm not dead yet laugh.gif
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was taking a 1/3 creatine 2/3 whey protein mix on days that I was working out

[/ QUOTE ]

How much creatine were you using? Anything more than 5 grams a day isn't helping, as many (not all) training gurus believe the body can't absorb much more than that in a 24 hour period.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah but i bet there ahuge downsides that they arent tlking/thinking about yet like:

-what happens when you stop using them, does your body overcompensate, messing with your metabolism sounds risky to me
    -making your heart race aint particullarly a good idea IMO, esp if your a bit overweight

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described caffeine, amigo.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Biotest:

Directions: Take one or two capsules two times per day, each time on an empty stomach with 8 oz. of water, allowing at least six hours between doses.

[taking 2 capsules on empty stomach = 3 hours spent on the toilet with the runs! shocked.gif
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    If taking thermogenics on an empty stomach gives you the shits, maybe you'd better go without laugh.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described caffeine, amigo.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yep i wouldnt take it pure either XD
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i never went past the 4-5 gram mark as advised on the bottle (err tub I should say heh)
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i never went past the 4-5 gram mark as advised on the bottle (err tub I should say heh)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool, but does it also mean you consumed only 10 grams of protein at that time?
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    yeah like i said, it was just an added supplement on top of my current diet. Tuna and salmon were on my menu most every day.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I can't comment on that smile.gif I will suggest that anyone who is doing any kind of physical training consume one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass each day, though!